Old 09-28-2017, 11:33 AM   #99
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Matteo will no doubt give a better answer, but here's what I've found.

There are LEDs on the Eaystart that indicate the condition. It does require removing the AC cover and being up on the roof, so it's not very convenient.

However, usually it's a transient power problem - like something else in the trailer kicked on and caused an over load. Pretty quickly you learn to avoid that. And most importantly, the EasyStart resets itself in five minutes. If it goes out, just wait and it will come back on.

Old 09-28-2017, 11:46 AM   #100
Electronic Controls OEM
Commercial Member

Allentown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWolf View Post
Wondering, however, how a user knows the Easy Start has detected one of the fault conditions? The installation is up top, so if my AC suddenly turns off my first assumption is my AC isn't functioning not that I'm being protected from using it because of an unsafe condition. Is there a way to know? (Or does this even matter because I'm going to have to call someone to look at it either way?! Think I just answered my own question).
LittleWolf - that's another good question. Since the EasyStart will interrupt the compressor by itself, the thermostat will obviously not report anything is wrong and will indicate all is fine and still running. The fan will also keep running. The only thing that will tip you off that there is a problem is your A/C will be blowing warm air when it shouldn't be. Of course, the first 5 minutes after a power interruption and the A/C comes back on, the EasyStart deliberately inhibits compressor operation as part of its short-cycle prevention. However, if in the middle of use the A/C is blowing warm air when it shouldn't be, then the EasyStart is likely faulted for some reason. The EasyStart will attempt to restart the compressor every 5 minutes, so you might hear this happening. And, depending on the fault, the compressor might run a little while if the fault condition is delayed, or it might not even start since the fault occurs right away.

Micro-Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 06:51 PM   #101

Currently Looking...
Carlsbad , California
Any issues with this voiding the warrantee on the AC unit?

Thinking hard about installing the EasyStart on my 2017 27' INTL, however I saw a note from the manufacturer recommending that you remove the EasyStart before taking the unit it in for warrantee work, suggesting this product may void the AS warrantee.

Anyone have any experience with this? Any issues with AC compressor melt downs over time after using the EasyStart? From an electrical standpoint, it seems like the EasyStart starves the compressor in order to not overload the generator... wondering what unintended consequences may result.

Also, if this does work great with no downside (which would be great), any max AC size I can throw this on while still running off a Honda S2000 generator? My AS has 2 units.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-03-2017, 07:58 PM   #102
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
EasyStart Install -- in One Image

For what it is worth, without any hesitation I installed 2 EasyStarts on each of the AC units on my 2017 30’. One is a 13.5k and the other 15k. Your AC units are the same size as mine and a modern Honda eu2000i generator will run either one at elevations less than ~5000’.

At the end of the day the EasyStart is all good for reducing compressor load/strain/stress. If a Dometic unit fails it will not be because of the EasyStart...
Old 10-05-2017, 11:28 PM   #103
1 Rivet Member

Sonoma , California
LP generator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micro-Air View Post
LittleWolf - that's another good question. Since the EasyStart will interrupt the compressor by itself, the thermostat will obviously not report anything is wrong and will indicate all is fine and still running. The fan will also keep running. The only thing that will tip you off that there is a problem is your A/C will be blowing warm air when it shouldn't be. Of course, the first 5 minutes after a power interruption and the A/C comes back on, the EasyStart deliberately inhibits compressor operation as part of its short-cycle prevention. However, if in the middle of use the A/C is blowing warm air when it shouldn't be, then the EasyStart is likely faulted for some reason. The EasyStart will attempt to restart the compressor every 5 minutes, so you might hear this happening. And, depending on the fault, the compressor might run a little while if the fault condition is delayed, or it might not even start since the fault occurs right away.
Matteo and everyone, a different question: first the unit arrived and is being installed. I haven't bought a generator yet and am hoping to purchase a GenConnex Honda 2000 pre-converted to run on liquid propane (easier/safer to store and transport in my SUV, no need to carry yet another volatile liquid,, etc). One of the guys over on Facebook's Airstream Addicts raised a good point: will that LP generator be enough to power my AC with the Easy start installed? I've read about LP generators operating at like 85% of the same model powered by gas, but what exactly does that mean? That it throws out only 85% of the power, OR that it'll run through the LP at a faster rate than the gas? Thoughts anyone? TIA.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:26 AM   #104
Electronic Controls OEM
Commercial Member

Allentown , New Jersey
Quote:
One of the guys over on Facebook's Airstream Addicts raised a good point: Will that LP generator be enough to power my AC with the Easy start installed? I've read about LP generators operating at like 85% of the same model powered by gas, but what exactly does that mean? That it throws out only 85% of the power, OR that it'll run through the LP at a faster rate than the gas? Thoughts anyone? TIA.
Thank you for the question, LittleWolf. This point about power loss from a propane conversion is very often misunderstood. It is the engine that typically loses about 10% of its output power capability at sea level when switching from gasoline to propane, not the entire generator itself. The engine then loses another 3% per thousand feet of elevation, assuming you rejet the carburetor at the recommended altitudes (otherwise the reduction in power is greater than 3%/1000').

The Honda EU2000i generator is an inverter type as we all know, but what is not always understood is the relationship between the generator's engine output (RPM & HP) and its inverter output (watts). The engine's RPM is dynamically controlled via the throttle to match the power demand at the output 120V receptacles. So, as long as the generator's engine can attain 5000RPM under full load (2000W or 16.7A @120VAC), it will provide you the same amount of maximum power with propane as it does with gasoline.

Honda of course deliberately designed and chose the engine so that it has excess horsepower capacity at sea level with gasoline. From every report I've ever heard from the hundreds of EasyStart customers with Hondas, the 10% reduction that occurs when switching to propane does not impact the generator's ability to deliver full power (2000W) at sea level, assuming the generator has no other issues and the propane conversion was done correctly. There are many on this forum who can back this statement. Now, as you climb in altitude from sea level, because the engine is already starting off with 10% less power than gasoline, the maximum output power of the generator will drop below the 5000RPM/2000W threshold at a lower altitude than it would have if you were using gasoline. The exact altitude where this occurs, I am not 100% certain. I have had reports from customers running their 15kBTU A/C units plus some auxiliary trailer load (totaling close to 2000W) on propane-fueled Honda EU2000i generators up to about 3000' without any issues.
Micro-Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 05:42 AM   #105
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Brookfield , New Hampshire
Quote:
Matteo and everyone, a different question: first the unit arrived and is being installed. I haven't bought a generator yet and am hoping to purchase a GenConnex Honda 2000 pre-converted to run on liquid propane (easier/safer to store and transport in my SUV, no need to carry yet another volatile liquid,, etc). One of the guys over on Facebook's Airstream Addicts raised a good point: will that LP generator be enough to power my AC with the Easy start installed? I've read about LP generators operating at like 85% of the same model powered by gas, but what exactly does that mean? That it throws out only 85% of the power, OR that it'll run through the LP at a faster rate than the gas? Thoughts anyone? TIA.
I went with the GenConnex propane EU2000i Honda and Easy Start. It starts and runs the Air Co just fine. If you go with the GenConnex ask them to also send the high altitude orifice. It's free and you would use it at altitudes over 5000 feet.

The bride and I will be putting the system to the test next year as we travel out west and to Alaska.

Larry
Old 10-06-2017, 10:29 AM   #106
1 Rivet Member

Sonoma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micro-Air View Post
Thank you for the question, LittleWolf. This point about power loss from a propane conversion is very often misunderstood. It is the engine that typically loses about 10% of its output power capability at sea level when switching from gasoline to propane, not the entire generator itself. The engine then loses another 3% per thousand feet of elevation, assuming you rejet the carburetor at the recommended altitudes (otherwise the reduction in power is greater than 3%/1000').

The Honda EU2000i generator is an inverter type as we all know, but what is not always understood is the relationship between the generator's engine output (RPM & HP) and its inverter output (watts). The engine's RPM is dynamically controlled via the throttle to match the power demand at the output 120V receptacles. So, as long as the generator's engine can attain 5000RPM under full load (2000W or 16.7A @120VAC), it will provide you the same amount of maximum power with propane as it does with gasoline.

Honda of course deliberately designed and chose the engine so that it has excess horsepower capacity at sea level with gasoline. From every report I've ever heard from the hundreds of EasyStart customers with Hondas, the 10% reduction that occurs when switching to propane does not impact the generator's ability to deliver full power (2000W) at sea level, assuming the generator has no other issues and the propane conversion was done correctly. There are many on this forum who can back this statement. Now, as you climb in altitude from sea level, because the engine is already starting off with 10% less power than gasoline, the maximum output power of the generator will drop below the 5000RPM/2000W threshold at a lower altitude than it would have if you were using gasoline. The exact altitude where this occurs, I am not 100% certain. I have had reports from customers running their 15kBTU A/C units plus some auxiliary trailer load (totaling close to 2000W) on propane-fueled Honda EU2000i generators up to about 3000' without any issues.
Many thanks for the much needed primer on this, Matteo. Understood. Think I should be fine.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:33 AM   #107
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
We’re happy users of the EasyStart on Rocinante.

Just so we’re all clear: this mod voids your warranty, if said warranty is still in effect.

Our warranty had expired, so we proceeded and are satisfied with EasyStart’s performance. That said, we would have waited until warranty expiration to do the work if that had not been the case.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 10:35 AM   #108
1 Rivet Member

Sonoma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsbox View Post
I went with the GenConnex propane EU2000i Honda and Easy Start. It starts and runs the Air Co just fine. If you go with the GenConnex ask them to also send the high altitude orifice. It's free and you would use it at altitudes over 5000 feet.

The bride and I will be putting the system to the test next year as we travel out west and to Alaska.

Larry
Hi Larry and THANK YOU for the suggestion. I wouldn't have even known to ask for that! I think a number of folks on Airstream Addicts use the Easy start plus GenConnex or home converted to LP Honda 2000. I'm thankful for these forums, you guys teach me so much.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:40 AM   #109
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
I have heard of someone that installed easy start, had an AC failure during warranty, and saved all the parts. They rewired it with old parts, to the factory condition and warranty work was covered...... YMMV...
Old 10-06-2017, 09:30 PM   #110
2 Rivet Member

1974 21' Globetrotter
2016 30' International
Houston , Texas
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3262.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	349.7 KB
ID:	296396

Okay trying to install, but my white wire on the “C” side of the cap is all occupied. Can I splice into one of these?
Old 10-06-2017, 10:52 PM   #111
2 Rivet Member

1974 21' Globetrotter
2016 30' International
Houston , Texas
Disregard, I figured it out.
Old 10-07-2017, 06:52 PM   #112
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
redondo beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutboy View Post
I have heard of someone that installed easy start, had an AC failure during warranty, and saved all the parts. They rewired it with old parts, to the factory condition and warranty work was covered...... YMMV...
That happened to me.

Good thing I left starting cap in place and kept the other parts.
The very good people at Evergreen Campground in Havre Montana provided a ladder and moral support for restoring everything to its original state.

Then I went to a RV dealer for a warranty AC repair.

Nobody's perfect and I'm a perfect example
mythbuster88 is offline   Reply With Quote