Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-02-2017, 09:57 PM   #61
3 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Can anyone confirm which dometic I have and which easystart I need?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1192.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	358.7 KB
ID:	282587

Name:	IMG_1193.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	284.0 KB
ID:	282588

Thanks
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 03:41 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Do you really have a choice? It seems you buy the 364. Consider finding someone to install it for you.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 04:56 AM   #63
Electronic Controls OEM
Commercial Member

Allentown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
Can anyone confirm which dometic I have and which easystart I need?
Thanks
Snowy - I am just able to see in your photo that the model information for your A/C indicates it has the 651815 prefix, which is the Dometic Penguin II. Also I can see that it is 13.5kBTU. The Dometic Pengin II is pretty much exclusively used by Airstream now, and for the past 3 or 4 model years.

The compatible model EasyStart for your A/C is as Larry suggested.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:27 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
Snowy, if you want to drive to Salem you can come down and hold the latter while I install mine in my 23' I just received my Easy Start in the mail.

It looks to me like the hard part is not falling off the roof.

Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:47 AM   #65
3 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoResults View Post
Snowy, if you want to drive to Salem you can come down and hold the latter while I install mine in my 23' I just received my Easy Start in the mail.

It looks to me like the hard part is not falling off the roof.

Dave

LoL. I'll keep that in mind

Thanks everyone
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 12:51 PM   #66
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
I just ordered my EasyStart for my 2008 Dometic Penguin 13.5k AC unit. Connected with Matteo offline and as he has done here, provided GREAT and FAST responses to all my questions and delivered SUPER overall customer service.

I only own one Honda 2000i generator that I use on occasion for boondocking on rainy days (typically run of solar only with 2 Lifeline 10 amp hour AGMs).

Now I can run my AC too without having to buy (and manage) a second 2000i generator OR purchase a BIG/HEAVY 3000watt generator OR purchase a $1,500 Hybrid inverter / charger with an upgrade battery bank to assist a single small generator on AC startup (not that hybrid inverters don't have other benefits, just don't need one if all you really need the hybrid function for is to assist a generator in starting the AC compressor when off grid)

I'll post some pictures of the install when I get the unit (maybe next weekend).
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 03:57 PM   #67
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Just a quick note to say that after having our dealer install the EasyStart 366, we brought Rocinante home, hooked up our propane-fired Honda EU2000i Companion, and ran the heat pump off the generator, both in cooling and heating mode.

Smooth and simple, worked like a charm. The startup process seems less noisy than before. The first time, I turned off "Eco mode" to ensure there was no power lag. While the heat pump was running, I switched it back to eco mode and the generator slowed down, even though it was serving power to the running heat pump. So, I left it in Eco mode and cycled the heat pump to see what would happen. I was pleased to discover that the generator gracefully handled starting the heat pump even while running in Eco mode. (Ambient temp outside was in the upper 50's Fahrenheit, in case that's relevant.)

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 04:45 PM   #68
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Waynesville , North Carolina
I just love this place. I don't recall the specific topic or post that got me interested, but I spend upwards of 4 hours reading/watching the various posts, videos and web sites featuring the EasyStart. I just hate regretting a purchase of more than $100, so I always do my homework. I'm confident I made the right decision to install the 364 in my 2012 15K Dometic unit. Not sure of the specific model A/C we have (we are 2nd owners and have no operating/owner manuals) but I'm convinced it will work. I could have probably struggled with the DIY but decided to have a local certified Dometic service provided do the install. Funny that this RV service provider hadn't heard of this product, but was very enticed after reading some of the info on the Micro-Air web site.

They have ordered the 364 and will install. I look forward to boondocking this summer on our trip from Fort Myers, Fl to Denver, to Seattle, to Yosemite, to Joshua Tree, to all the NPs in Utah and back. All on a single Honda 2000 (propane-converted).

Couldn't have planned this (or our last) trip without the resources offered on this site.
2016 RAM 2500
FL Crackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 10:16 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Thanks to this thread, I was able to successfully install my 366 to my Penguin I 13.5k AC today. While I consider myself pretty handy and proficient with electronics, this was not what I consider to be easy. Between the endless trips up and down the ladder, and deciphering the layout and connections, I'd put this at a 7 on the 1-10 scale. Largely due to working on the roof in and uncomfortable position.

That said, anyone tackling this themselves absolutely should get the 364 to help make the job easier. It's better documented with wires ready to go.

Few tips for those that insist on the 366 -
1) Move the run cap as low as it will go, after removing the original start cap
2) Locate the new start cap horizontally, but left of the run cap.
3) Locate the 366 easy start board as low as it can be placed on the lid (per picture) to maximize clearance. I even went as far as to remove the provided circuit board standoffs with shorter versions from my misc box.

Couple pics to help:

Name:	easystart1.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	281.8 KB
ID:	294051

Name:	easystart2.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	223.9 KB
ID:	294052
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:58 AM   #70
4 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
One Question

I have read and viewed videos extensively about the EasyStart Soft Start and am seriously considering purchasing it, but have a single question. The conversations pertain to running their AC using a single Honda 2000i via the Easy Start, what I haven't read about was anyone using the Heat Pump function of their Dometic AC/Heat Pump unit. Yes, I do know that the heat pump is the AC unit operating in reverse, but it's the missing issue that closes the loop for me to move forward. I use the Heat Pump function more than the AC.

Thanks
Tsunami-v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:57 AM   #71
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
EasyStart 366 in a Dometic 6815xxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami-v2 View Post
I have read and viewed videos extensively about the EasyStart Soft Start and am seriously considering purchasing it, but have a single question. The conversations pertain to running their AC using a single Honda 2000i via the Easy Start, what I haven't read about was anyone using the Heat Pump function of their Dometic AC/Heat Pump unit. Yes, I do know that the heat pump is the AC unit operating in reverse, but it's the missing issue that closes the loop for me to move forward. I use the Heat Pump function more than the AC.

Thanks

Yes works the same. I’ve tested both with my easy start.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:29 PM   #72
4 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Thanks
Tsunami-v2 is offline   Reply With Quote