Old 12-20-2018, 10:53 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
st. Paul , mn
Easystart is a brand , and there are number of products that do the easy starting by using capacitors to store some energy to help voltage sag / or low voltage at source [ up to a point ] .
And every AC unit I've worked on already had starting capacitors in them .
Depending on the brand - easystart - using generally now , may have extra components in it , such as a relay that helps to keep the fan & compressor from coming on at the same time .
Some brands have more components in there units that have some control circuitry to monitor other aspects like if there is enough voltage in the 1st place and again depending on the brand , even more control circuitry for other factors that help the AC unit .
The 1st thing to do if you have issues / old or new , is to have the stock capacitors checked - even if new , there has been counterfeit / let alone bad quality in the electronics field for over 20 yrs.
If you have any abilities yourself , buy a couple capacitors for less than $10 each and add them yourself , if not spend the $50 - $150+ that the kits cost .
Do not wast money if you have one of the voltage monitoring - at the source units , like Progressive Industries - they do the monitoring & will shutdown power from a source that has issues , like low voltage , revers connectors etc.
Then either add some capacitors , or just buy the generic easy-start with the relay .
If you are ok with spending the extra money , then buy the monitoring system up front --- this is best , because now you are protecting the hole trailer electrical system , not just the AC unit .

85 Excella , 31' , electric brakes , R. twin [ would like it to be a single ] , future upgrades , composting toilet [ replace black water tank with a 2nd fresh ] , solar power , instant hot water heater .
Tow 94 Dodge Ram , 4x4 , Cummins , AT .
JohnTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 11:57 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
The EasyStart unit from MicroAir is NOT a simple start capacitor. It is a microprocessor-controlled unit that ramps the start voltage to the compressor to prevent the heavy surge that normally occurs when full line voltage is applied to a 'stalled' AC motor. It learns the start characteristics of the compressor, controls fan start, and also monitors over-current conditions, low voltage, restart delays, and other issues at the compressor.

Please do not confuse this device with simple start capacitor kits, external surge protectors, Electrical Management Systems (EMS), and other electrical hardware. It's unique and is designed only for use with air conditioning units.

I'm a satisfied user, not associated with MicroAir, and an engineer...that actually understands how all this stuff works...on a technical level.

2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 01:01 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Kennesaw , Georgia
I installed one a couple months ago and it’s working well. The installation was a little stressful being on top of the trailer but otherwise went per the instructions.
wsrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 03:14 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
My Easy Start works just fine and the AC runs on my Honda 2000. We were around 4000 feet. Gas Honda with no modifications. Dry air, in the mid 90's. The generator seemed to be running very easily. 12 year old AC unit.

Yes, the compressor startup is quieter and smoother with the Easy Start even running on shore power. It reduces the "clunk" when the compresser kicks in but not the running noise level after it is going. I do not think the unit hurts the AC but have no way of knowing for sure. My guess is that it might help with the life of the AC rather than hurt it.

It would be an expensive modification for a small gain if you never run the AC on a 2000 generator or if you already have a big generator. But I have spent money in worse ways, I think.

People have run AC units for an awful long time without Easy Start's and I expect the AC companies think they work just fine that way.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 07:34 PM   #19
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I installed the MicroAir on both of my air conditioners. I think they are worth the money just to avoid the grinding cacaphony when the compressors kick on. I’m sure the campers around me probably appreciate NOT hearing the startup noise as well.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 09:00 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Southlake , Texas
I havenít used the Easy Start, but I do have some info on the noise. If you do not have the doubled up gaskets on your a/c units it it likely that the units are actually touching the roof. I had both my units replaced this summer and the drain cups were touching the roof. One of the cups was actually broken. With two gaskets, there is adequate space between the bottom of the unit and the roof and the gaskets provide good noise and vibration deadening.
Southlake, TX
WBCCI
Bgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 09:22 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
If you intend on running your AC or anything on a generator in high elevations, you might benefit by changing the carb inlet jet to a high altitude jet at a cost of $10+and 30 minute time. Just Google it.

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 12:23 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2018 28' International
Renton , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by banderabob View Post
It wonít run it in the flat of Texas either. Need at least the Honda 2200.....at least Iíve read a post that the 2200 is sufficient.
Iíve run our 13,500 BTU unit from both our household garage 20 amp circuit and with our Honda 2000 generator with no issues. However, we are at only about 400 feet so time will tell if the Honda will work out at higher elevations. The folks at Micro-Air advised putting the Easy Start on our 13,500 A/C rather than the front 15,000 BTU A/C to leave more headroom for other trailer systems. It has also made it easier for us to hook up with only a 30 amp and not the 50 amp cord if we arenít going to be using a lot of electronics. That helps me avoid cursing as I wrestle with the 50 amp monster, much to the amusement of our camp neighbors.
Wconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 01:34 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
Just add a turbo or supercharger to your generator. That will fix the problem. Thatís why lots of small aircraft have turbos. Itís partly for horsepower, but more to stuff more air molecules at altitude into the engine for combustion. Otherwise your performance drops rapidly as you climb.

Of course the alternate is to just have a larger gen from the start so you have enough horsepower at altitude to generate enough amps.
trepine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 07:33 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Safari
Denver , North Carolina
I've had the easystart on my 25 Safari 2000 for about a year. No problems, I have paired it with a Honda 2200 from the company that converts them to LP only (Propane and Natural Gas Honda Generators - Genconnex)
It worked flawlessly in the Southwest with some pretty hot days and some altitude. When I ordered the generator, they included at No Charge additional carb, jets for the altitude I expect to need. It's been a very good combination for me. I have peace of mind that I am using components that are designed for what I need and by companies that back them. I paid too much for my Airstream to skimp or try and rig something up.
mbubbaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 08:18 AM   #25
kpm
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Mound , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdreamers View Post
If you intend on running your AC or anything on a generator in high elevations, you might benefit by changing the carb inlet jet to a high altitude jet at a cost of $10+and 30 minute time. Just Google it.
Getting the high altitude jet is easy, but I haven't found any complete installation instructions for it. The closest I've found is on this blog post containing the following instructions:

Quote:
The screws on top of the carburetor can be removed and the unit can be separated into two halves. On one-half, you’ll see the main jet, located in the center of the body, and the pilot jet, located near the side. Both jets are brass with a wide slot designed for a flathead screwdriver. Unscrew the main jet and screw in the jet included in the kit. Turn the pilot screw to the position specified in the service manual to match the jet kit you are using. Reassemble the carburetor and reinstall it on the engine.
Do you know how to adjust the pilot jet screw?
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 08:50 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Southlake , Texas
Here is a picture of the broken drip tray mentioned above. If these are touching the roof, you will get a lot of noise inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A2E49356-D55B-446D-98CF-123F361F978C.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	255.1 KB
ID:	330086  
Southlake, TX
WBCCI
Bgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 05:58 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
San Jose , California
Easy Start with Westinghouse 2500 works great

MicroAir will sell a bundle that includes the EasyStart, all you need to install it for your AS, and a Westinghouse 2500 inverter/generator. The Westinghouse works great, even up to 7000 feet with my 2018 Basecamp. Give them a call and they'll walk you through it all. Customer service was great when I got mine.

Mark
madmac157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 02:48 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Bonita Springs , Florida
So far so good with EasyStart since June '17 Eddie Bauer 25

Realtor w/Keller Williams, Fort Myers, Naples area and beyond, SL3388777
AirUSN is offline   Reply With Quote