Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-04-2018, 10:27 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
2015 25' Flying Cloud
Blue Ridge , Georgia
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 75
Easy Start 364

Just installed the Micro Air Easy Start on my AC. The pictures and instructions from the Micro Air web site were easy to follow for the Dometic Penguin low profile ac. The AC starts and runs fine on my Honda 2000 with no other load on the generator. Flipped on the refrigerator on electric and the generator red light comes on and interrupts the power which is not surprising. Since I'm putting the Airstream in storage for a month I was wondering what others had experienced as far as how many devices can or can't be run. Appreciate your thoughts.
__________________

Gleverett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 10:45 AM   #2
Rivet Master
 
Al and Missy's Avatar

 
2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 3,602
Did you train the Easy Start on shore power with 5 starts as required? I don't know what AC unit you have but the specs say the Penguin II draws 1700 watts (probably only when it is really hot outside). That alone is probably over the 1600 VA limit for the 2000i. The fridge draws about 300 watts which might well be enough to go over the 1600 watts that puts the 2000i into overload. I'd say you are good, as long as you did the training starts.

Al
__________________

__________________

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 11:36 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member
 
2015 25' Flying Cloud
Blue Ridge , Georgia
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 75
Easy Start

Yes I did the training starts on 30A shorepower prior to trying the generator. Very pleased with the fact I can run the AC on the Honda 2000. Just curious as to others experience. Wonder if the refrigerator run on propane would work with the AC on? Not an electrical wiz am I. Thanks
Gleverett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 12:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master
 
2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gleverett View Post
Yes I did the training starts on 30A shorepower prior to trying the generator. Very pleased with the fact I can run the AC on the Honda 2000. Just curious as to others experience. Wonder if the refrigerator run on propane would work with the AC on? Not an electrical wiz am I. Thanks
When the refrigerator is on propane mode it uses zero AC power, as the control circuits are all 12V. If your battery is low then the issue you will face is that the converter, by default, is going to try to charge the battery and that combined with the A/C unit could still overload the generator. Your option there is likely to kill the breaker that feeds the converter AC power.
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 06:37 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member
 
StPierre's Avatar
 
1965 22' Safari
Rescue , California
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 106
Images: 15
Easy start problem ? I installed a new Brisk Air II 13500 btu with a Easy start , I also have a two year old Honda 2000. On our first trip without hookups the a/c would start but the compressor would drop out after a couple of minutes. We tried three different Honda 2000 generators ,that other campers had ,same results. The only way it worked is if we linked two together. Has anyone had this problem ? I did turn off all other power sources. Thanks for the help
__________________
The St Pierre's
StPierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 01:56 PM   #6
3rd one is the charm?
 
pcskier's Avatar

 
2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPierre View Post
Easy start problem ? I installed a new Brisk Air II 13500 btu with a Easy start , I also have a two year old Honda 2000. On our first trip without hookups the a/c would start but the compressor would drop out after a couple of minutes. We tried three different Honda 2000 generators ,that other campers had ,same results. The only way it worked is if we linked two together. Has anyone had this problem ? I did turn off all other power sources. Thanks for the help

What elevation were you at? Above 5,000 feet, generator power loss won't allow my Easy Start/13.5 AC to run. Last week I was at the Salt Flats in Utah, 4200 foot elevation. Compressor would start, then stall. If left alone, it did cycle like that all night and got us cool. In the heat of the day, it would not even cycle. Generators lose 2-3 percent power per 1000 feet of elevation, so 8-10% (at 4,000 feet) just couldn't get me there with the eu2000i.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:37 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member
 
VaTravelers's Avatar
 
2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 393
Images: 1
I just had two Easy Starts installed by JC on my 2017 International. I believe the factory A/C units are 15,000 and 13,500 BTU units. I did the 5 training runs on shore power and just today was able to do some testing with my Honda eu2000I generator. I have two that I purchased from Genconnex already converted to propane. The results of my test. I was easily able to run either A/C unit plus all the lights in the trailer without issue. I had my refer on propane so I need to run a test with it on electric power to see how that impacts the generator. When I used both generators I am able to easily run both A/C units and all the lights or 1 A/C unit and the microwave and all the lights. I was a little concerned initially because I know you lose about 10% due to the propane conversion. But there was not issue with running them. I ran them for several hours without issue. Very pleased!
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 11:58 AM   #8
New Member
 
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Wylie , Texas
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 1
Who is JC and how do I hire JC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTravelers View Post
I just had two Easy Starts installed by JC on my 2017 International. I believe the factory A/C units are 15,000 and 13,500 BTU units. I did the 5 training runs on shore power and just today was able to do some testing with my Honda eu2000I generator. I have two that I purchased from Genconnex already converted to propane. The results of my test. I was easily able to run either A/C unit plus all the lights in the trailer without issue. I had my refer on propane so I need to run a test with it on electric power to see how that impacts the generator. When I used both generators I am able to easily run both A/C units and all the lights or 1 A/C unit and the microwave and all the lights. I was a little concerned initially because I know you lose about 10% due to the propane conversion. But there was not issue with running them. I ran them for several hours without issue. Very pleased!
Who is JC and how do I get JC to install easystart on my Flying Cloud?
jakeloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:41 PM   #9
3rd one is the charm?
 
pcskier's Avatar

 
2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeloy View Post
Who is JC and how do I get JC to install easystart on my Flying Cloud?
JC is Jackson Center, Ohio...the factory. Any semi-competent Rv tech or electrician can install an Easy Start for you if you aren't comfortable doing so.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 09:38 AM   #10
Rivet Master
 
2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,308
A single eu2000i should run an A/C with easy start just fine. There won't be much margin for anything else though. It's amazing it's even possible, as prior to the easy start, it required two eu2000s in parallel!

If you want more power margin for elevation or extraneous devices, consider selling the eu2000 for a new eu2200. More power on account of its 20% larger engine and beefed up inverter. Same overall size. The eu2000 easily sells for $700 on the open market, eg craigslist. New can be had for $999. I sold two old ones for 1 new.
__________________
Boondocking option package:
'07 27FB Ocean Breeze "See Turtle", 3" lift
'09 Lexus LX570, on 33's
Tongue Mount Honda eu2200i - Rear Hitch - Underbelly Storage - Blizzard NXT w/ EasyStart - 3" Lift - 6" Fan Controller
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 01:18 PM   #11
Rivet Master
 
2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTravelers View Post
I just had two Easy Starts installed by JC on my 2017 International. I believe the factory A/C units are 15,000 and 13,500 BTU units. I did the 5 training runs on shore power and just today was able to do some testing with my Honda eu2000I generator. I have two that I purchased from Genconnex already converted to propane. The results of my test. I was easily able to run either A/C unit plus all the lights in the trailer without issue. I had my refer on propane so I need to run a test with it on electric power to see how that impacts the generator. When I used both generators I am able to easily run both A/C units and all the lights or 1 A/C unit and the microwave and all the lights. I was a little concerned initially because I know you lose about 10% due to the propane conversion. But there was not issue with running them. I ran them for several hours without issue. Very pleased!
I asked JC to hook up my easy start unit last year and the said they don't install them. Glad to see they installed yours and that the easystarts work well. Could you provide me with the name of the installer at JC so I can speak to that person myself before driving there? The service advisors are not all on the same page concerning the install.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 01:36 PM   #12
Rivet Master
 
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 11,181
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
. . .
If you want more power margin for elevation or extraneous devices, consider selling the eu2000 for a new eu2200.
. . .
That's the ticket!

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 02:16 PM   #13
Rivet Master
 
gypsydad's Avatar

 
2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
JC is Jackson Center, Ohio...the factory. Any semi-competent Rv tech or electrician can install an Easy Start for you if you aren't comfortable doing so.
Agree; why drive from Texas to JC if you don't have to? There are closer options...most AS dealers now have done this installation, if you talk with a manager in service. I also found the 2200 converted to propane by Genconnex, to be quite capable of starting/running my 13,500AC at 6000+ feet this summer while in Banff, with no modifications to my unit....I don't have this unit; it was a friends and he does have the Easystart installed on his 23D, but it worked during our trial on my AC...looking for more data on this one. I use a Champion Dual Fuel which works fine without Easystart on either AC..just 95lbs is all.
__________________
Empty Nesters; Gypsies on the road!
2017 28' Twin Flying Cloud
2017 F250 King Ranch, 4X4, Blue-Ox WDH
Summer in Lincoln, MT- Winter in Austin, TX
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 05:22 PM   #14
AirDreamer
 
turk123's Avatar
 
2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,413
I found that the Hutch Mountain propane conversion for 2000i and 2200i are very good. Duel fuel with very little loss of power on propane.

https://hutchmountain.com/products.h...131/category=0
__________________

__________________
2017 Airstream International Signature 27FB Twin
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin

Support Airstream Forum***
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Micro-Air EasyStart 364 Soft Starter Micro-Air Airstream Classifieds 3 08-10-2018 06:03 AM
Soft Start - Easy Start - Smart Start..? JConsroe Generators & Solar Power 13 06-16-2017 07:36 AM
How EASY to break into Airstream? TOO EASY Foiled Again Doors & Locks 20 04-19-2010 11:14 AM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.