Old 02-01-2014, 12:52 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweldon View Post
Anybody have a pic of what the button looks like? Mine is missing from the hole. I asked the PO when I bought what the box on the wall underneath the table was and he had no idea after owning it or 15 years. When I removed the box recently to pull the wall panel I got a ding dong sound and then I knew. I would like to get a button back in there and use. I may check with Colaw RV salvage as they are just an hour down the road.

Barry
Barry,

The door bell button is round and is sold in about every hardware store that's in business.

Nothing special about it.

Andy

Old 02-01-2014, 07:16 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweldon View Post
Anybody have a pic of what the button looks like? Mine is missing from the hole. I asked the PO when I bought what the box on the wall underneath the table was and he had no idea after owning it or 15 years. When I removed the box recently to pull the wall panel I got a ding dong sound and then I knew. I would like to get a button back in there and use. I may check with Colaw RV salvage as they are just an hour down the road.

Barry
If the button is missing, the 2 wires that power it may have dropped down inside the wall cavity. They are small, low voltage wires.

John

WBCCI #3892
Region 3 , 1st VP

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight he will just kill you........a wise old man.
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:23 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I got a 93 Excella a few weeks ago. The doorbell does not work. Can anyone point me in the right direction for troubleshooting. Other than the black button itself I have no idea about where the ringer is or how the doorbell works.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:43 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Just replace the unit itself. It is a standard, low voltage residential door bell available at any big box store. Look under the front couch.

The button is also a standard item. Just gently pry it out of it's hole in the handle. 2 small wires, don't let them drop down inside the wall.
WBCCI #3892
Region 3 , 1st VP

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight he will just kill you........a wise old man.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:48 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
This is a lousy photo, but it was real hard to get to. If this is the unit I don't see how to replace it without pulling the gaucho or the wooden cover behind the gaucho. Is this it? Any suggestions
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0047.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	220.5 KB
ID:	237694  
Old 05-03-2015, 07:52 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I'm thinking I could hook up an Aaoogah horn under the entrance stairs. That would be fun to watch.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:01 PM   #21
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Looks like it. It would have had a cover over it to protect it. Should have a ''ding dong'' plate thing that is struck by a small plunger when power is applied. Pluck it with your finger. If it dongs, that's it.

As with any Airstream project, it helps to be a double jointed contortionist that can work sideways, or up side down, while wearing bifocal glasses. I propped the couch up with a stick made to fit which I keep stored under the couch for any such occassions, pulled out the big drawer so I could sort of step/sit/straddle it instead of taking the couch out.
WBCCI #3892
Region 3 , 1st VP

Old 05-12-2015, 10:22 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Unless yours is very different than ours, you can pull out the gaucho relatively easily - remove the drawer, and move it out of the way, then unbolt the four bolts, and slide the whole out of the way. It's not as hard as it looks. I wouldn't do it repeatedly, because the bolts just go into wood as far as I could tell. The hardest part is getting the drawer back in, because you have to get it aligned perfectly, but even that's only a few minutes.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote