Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-22-2016, 06:53 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Swedesboro , New Jersey
Dometic BEEPS and Beeps and Beeps

Just got back from my 2nd trip in the 22FB Bambi, The fridge started beeping at 4 am, every 2 minutes / for 20 seconds. Works fine, cools to temp... Just Beeps,
Door is tightly closed
Light goes OFF
No flashing lights on control panel
I tried all the troubleshooting ideas from the manual
finally turned it off and went back to bed !
I have rebooted.
same results on Battery, electric and propane
I have turned off the battery and rebooted.. as per the instructions from the Dometic tech on the phone:

Any ideas ?
dlkershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 12:08 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
Sounds like a trip back to the dealer, unfortunately.
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 05:55 AM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Make sure the fridge is plugged in to the 120v outlet, and that the outlet has 120v. No need to ask how I know that will cause the problem you are experiencing...
Old 09-02-2016, 09:36 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
Mpls , Minnesota
We have the same issue on the fridge in our 2014 22' Sport. According to the owners manual, the frequency and duration of these beeps is meant to indicate an open door, however, the door is most definitely closed. Here is what I believe to be happening: Behind the clear plastic cover of the fridge light is a 4-wire harness that connects to the light and door switch. The door switch is electrically "open" when the door is closed, and electrically "closed" when the door is open. I believe the issue is due to condensation shorting the two door switch pins on this wire harness, tricking the control board into thinking the door is open when it is not. I believe this because when I disconnect this wire harness, the contacts on the light/switch assembly are wet with condensation. If I dry with a paper towel and re-connect, the problem goes away, but only until the condensation builds up again (couple hours if you're lucky). The only remedy I have found to make it through the night without this annoying beeping is to leave this wire harness disconnected. The only downside to this is that the interior light will not work when you open the door. Other than that, the fridge operates fine. If you really need the light, just dry the contacts and re-connect the wire harness. Kind of a pain, but the only solution I've found.

I'm curious if any others have found a better solution?
MN Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 07:11 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Swedesboro , New Jersey
Thanks

Thank you MN Jeff, Thanks for taking the time to post such a detailed response. I always suspected an electrical issue, I will attempt this fix the next time we have the issue ( funny how it is always at 2 a.m.) I also found by shutting off the battery power at the manual switch, resets the system, you have to leave it off for about 5 minutes. Happy travels...... Dave
dlkershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:26 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Leesburg , Florida
I am not having any luck either. 2016 22FB Bambi. I can't see how to get the plastic cover off. I did all you have except for the wires & battery.
LuLuAdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:09 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Leesburg , Florida
Did anyone try defrosting fridge to dry out wires?
Old 07-24-2017, 07:34 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Call me crazy, but how about a dielectric grease on the contacts to keep condensation off them?
Does the fridge have a switch to reduce condensation?

https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-2205.../dp/B000AL8VD2
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:35 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Leesburg , Florida
I have diedetic grease. How to get the plastic casing off without breaking it??
Old 09-09-2018, 07:54 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Leesburg , Florida
I now leave plastic case off. I still get condensation when very humid outside, and beeping starts. I unplug the sensor, increase cool temp and wait a day. Then all good again.
Old 03-27-2021, 08:30 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Sykesville , Maryland
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Jeff View Post
We have the same issue on the fridge in our 2014 22' Sport. According to the owners manual, the frequency and duration of these beeps is meant to indicate an open door, however, the door is most definitely closed. Here is what I believe to be happening: Behind the clear plastic cover of the fridge light is a 4-wire harness that connects to the light and door switch. The door switch is electrically "open" when the door is closed, and electrically "closed" when the door is open. I believe the issue is due to condensation shorting the two door switch pins on this wire harness, tricking the control board into thinking the door is open when it is not. I believe this because when I disconnect this wire harness, the contacts on the light/switch assembly are wet with condensation. If I dry with a paper towel and re-connect, the problem goes away, but only until the condensation builds up again (couple hours if you're lucky). The only remedy I have found to make it through the night without this annoying beeping is to leave this wire harness disconnected. The only downside to this is that the interior light will not work when you open the door. Other than that, the fridge operates fine. If you really need the light, just dry the contacts and re-connect the wire harness. Kind of a pain, but the only solution I've found.

I'm curious if any others have found a better solution?

Jeff, Thank you! We had this problem last night and ended up turning off the fridge while we slept. I took out all the short term perishables and put them in a cooler. I just read your response and I played with the light switch/latch and the problem went away. I am prepared for it to reoccur and when it does I will just disconnect the switch. The light is not that important to me.
mgblake13 is offline   Reply With Quote