Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-16-2013, 12:37 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
Do I really need a battery

A combination of the really great parallax converter and the superb battery maintenance info in the Airstream manuals couldn't prevent me from ruining my batteries. We do not boondock. I do think I need one battery for emergencies (campground loosing power temporarily is one example) and to keep things working while traveling (frig) etc although I suppose the tv would technically run the control board on the frig and the jack. I decided that walmart batteries are sufficient....no need to get premium batteries.....especially since I can't really upgrade my converter at this time. It seems to me I could even drop back to one battery. Any reason why one battery would cause problems?

Thanks
Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
One battery (12 volt) would be fine. Running no battery and running all the 12 volt stuff of the converter is not good. With the battery connected and charged make sure the voltage is not too high. Probably should not exceed around 13.8, depending on your converter. If you see higher than this it could indicate a bad converter.
Walmart batteries are probably as good as anyone else's. Get deep cycle of course.
At risk of starting an argument, I don't believe in leaving batteries floating 24 hours a day.
I am now on year 11 on my 2 golf cart batteries
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:56 PM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
At least one battery is OK, assuming you've insulated the connectors for the missing battery. I wouldn't want to rely on the tow vehicle's 12v for running the refrigerator since some TVs shut off that power when you turn off the key, and of course you need a trailer battery to supply 12v to the breakaway switch for that worst-case scenario.

I have a single Group24 battery in my '75 Argosy that has worked out fine. It's O'Reilly auto parts' house brand, from 2009, and we do a bit of boondocking (with a generator.) The 1975-vintage Dometic doesn't need any 12v and I have quite a few LED replacement bulbs for lighting.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
You need at least one battery when towing to operate the breakaway switch in the event of a hitch failure.

If you are going to be planted in one spot, you can run the entire trailer on the converter alone with no battery. I have several clients with this arrangement that have their RVs tied to the pad. They never move!

It is illegal and unsafe to tow without a battery.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
Ok. Thanks. One walmart battery it is........
Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:04 PM   #6
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNecro View Post
Ok. Thanks. One walmart battery it is........
then test your converter output voltage level.... Then test brakes work using the breakaway switch.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:46 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Even if you never boondock, upgrading your converter might save you $$.
With my Paralax battery frier, I got 2 years max out of batteries. An upgrade cost about $250 from bestconverter.com. I had mine professionally installed, but a talented do it yourselfer could make the installation for free. Drowned cell l lead acid batteries are about $80, Bluetops are double.
Since my converter upgrade, I am going into my fourth year on drowned cell batteries.
I am going into my sixth year with agms on my boat.
When the Paralax boils all the water out of the batteries, there is a risk of fire hazard.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote