Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2010, 09:49 AM   #1
LJD

2008 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Clearwater , Florida
Do I need two AC units on a 30' or 31' trailer?

We are considering a new 30 or 31' Airstream trailer and we live in Florida.
Some come with one 15,000 btu air unit and others have an additional 13.5 btu unit. We won't be living on it and in summer we might be heading up to the mountains, etc. Do you think we will be satisfied with just one AC unit? We are more concerned about the resale value, we are not the type of user who sits in AC comfort, we like to get out and do things. Thanks for your help!
LJD
LJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:59 AM   #2
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
one should be fine

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:03 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
I haven't wanted a second one bad enough to go through the hassle of installing one, but there are many times I wish I had one. If I were ordering new, definitely a second!

I know you said that you might be heading up to the mountains, etc. That also implies that you might not. Hot southern days in full sun will make use of a second AC.

And yes, I know that this is a moot point in Canada, northern states, and high altitudes in the rest of the lower 48. You are in Clearwater, and there is a lot of the US near you (and not) that have hot weather.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:04 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
One AC should be able to keep your trailer at 20 degrees below ambient temperature in full sun, so yes, you'll be fine. Sometimes people put in a second AC when they expect to camp in the desert southwest in summer, where temperatures routinely exceed 110 degrees. That requires major modifications, including a 50-amp power connection.

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:22 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
From my experience summer camping in a 29' 14,000 BTU 'stream in Mississippi and the Florida Panhandle...I would get a second AC if possible.

We camped last June at Perdido Key and struggled to keep the interior cool. The only way to keep the temps below 85 degrees was to close the rear bath. July in Biloxi had the same issue. Granted we were in high humidity, direct sunlight but my only other option was to stay home...

The times we were able to get shade or when the humidity wasn't so high we were fine, the compressor would cycle as expected.

We might be the exception to the rule but we do camp all during all 12 months, summer usually consists of trips to the coast and we will take a full sun location if it's the only option...your milage may vary.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:23 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Air conditioning serve 2 purposes, lower temperature and lower humidity.

If money is not a question and comfort is I would install 2 10,000 BTU units if they were available. Run both at first to lower temperature and then 1 to reduce humidity, which is really the bigger problem as far as comfort is concerned.

Also this gives you the option to run the one farthest from you, the front AC while sleeping and the rear while in the living room. This is for noise considerations.

This would also extend the cycle time and thus level out the temperature swings.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:32 AM   #7

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
There are times I wished for two but the reality is that for me it's way more trouble than it's worth. The things that help us deal with the extreme heat are:

Start cooling with the AC well before the heat of the day sets in.

Use window awnings.

Park in shaded areas if possible.

Cover or insulate the windows.

Insulate roof vent covers.

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:38 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
In high heat and humidity, the 13.5 unit in the 25FB SE is INSUFFICIENT (due to all the windows). A dehumidifier has solved the problem, but it does take up some valuable floor space. If I ever order a new one, which will be a 28 ft., if weight is not a factor, I'll spring for the second a/c.
fmr.capt.evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:06 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
If you are going to order a new unit, order the 2 ac's with 50 amp service.
I think that option can increase the resale value later on.
It will help with our humid summers.
Corresponding Secretary Piedmont NC Unit 161,
1967 Overlander International.
1979 Avion 30ft rear bath
TV's 88 Chevy Suburban 454, 3:42, TH400
95 Cadillac FW Brougham, LT1,3:42, 7k tow pk.
Silverwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:10 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Lake Charles , Louisiana
Duel AC or not??

When we were shopping for our new Airstream two AC units was on the "must have" list. I wanted to make sure that regardless of which part of the country I was in during the middle of summer, I could always have a nice cool trailer inside. Since making our purchase in 2008, we have learned another advantage. Often, we will only use the rear unit when in the front end of the trailer... watching TV. Having a trailer with duel units puts one of them right near the TV and you are constantly adjusting the audio when it kicks on. We finally figured out to run the opposing unit instead. At bedtime we turn the front unit on. That makes from a more pleasant sleeping condition if noise bothers you. Then again, the single units are mounted towards the center of the trailer. So direct sound from the fan unit will be further away than a trailer with duel AC's. May not be an issue for those owners. We love ours. We have never hand any regret in going with the duel units......steve
Steve & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:12 PM   #11
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I ordered the dual AC setup.

I expect, from having window AC in my stick house, that the problem will not be capacity but rather the distribution of cool air. It's not realistic to expect a front AC to cool a back bedroom effectively unless you're going to use fans or cool the front to 65 degrees.

Besides, then you get the 50a service, which has its own advantages.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:35 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
From my experience a 15,000 in front and 13,000 in rear is the best option.
Second choice would be two 13,000 units but for the price difference first option is best.

A 31ft with one AC requires extra fans to move the air for comfort.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:56 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Consider minimizing the number of skylights and/or vents in the roof.

Our trailer has 2 fantastic fans (which are great) and 2 skylights which I wish we only had 1 of.

Also location of the vista-view windows may be another consideration to minimize holes in your roof where the sun-does-shine .

The solid roof does a better job of blocking the sun than any of the skylights and vents and windows.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:01 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJD View Post
We are considering a new 30 or 31' Airstream trailer and we live in Florida.
Some come with one 15,000 btu air unit and others have an additional 13.5 btu unit. We won't be living on it and in summer we might be heading up to the mountains, etc. Do you think we will be satisfied with just one AC unit? We are more concerned about the resale value, we are not the type of user who sits in AC comfort, we like to get out and do things. Thanks for your help!
LJD
We didn't order two, but I have not decided yet if that was good or bad.
One thing to consider is that if you decide later that you want two, it will be a lot more work to put one in, than to order it with two.

regards,
Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:30 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmrcaptevil View Post
In high heat and humidity, the 13.5 unit in the 25FB SE is INSUFFICIENT (due to all the windows). A dehumidifier has solved the problem, but it does take up some valuable floor space. If I ever order a new one, which will be a 28 ft., if weight is not a factor, I'll spring for the second a/c.
I have the same trailer with the upgrade 15K unit - and in sweatbox Virginia it's fine even in 99/99 (99 degrees F and 99% humidity) FLORIDA though? You will be limited to 50amp hookups to use two simultaneously. I'd probably opt for the full awning package and fight for the shady camping spots.

Paula
Old 02-26-2010, 01:56 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Even though you may be limited to 50 amp hookups to use two simultaneously, you can still run either one on 30.

If I were ordering new, I would order two ACs and still get the full awing package and fight for the shady camping spots.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:50 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Thanks, Paula.....glad to hear that the 15k unit will make a big enough difference. (At the first HINT of trouble with this 13.5, it's HISTORY!
fmr.capt.evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 03:25 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
I agree with Paula, on a 25' FB, the 15k should be plenty. When I went to a 15k unit it made a big difference in my 34' Excella. I doubt that you would need any more than one 15k till you get up to or over 30 feet.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:53 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2010 31' Classic
Mobile , Alabama
Send a message via AIM to Greg N Send a message via Yahoo to Greg N
I think your on the right track...We also are about to order a new classic 31 with the free standing dinette which slides along the wall, however we will ask the factory to modify the slide rail to allow it (the table portion to go up against the fridge...This will allow us to put a small recliner between the table top and the sofa)... Now to your question...Since we live in southern Alabama we are definatley getting 2 a/c's and 15000 btu ones if possible... I also love to power of a 50 amp svc. which by the way is actually 100 amps due to a two leg 220 volt service... That is how all standard 50 amp services come in a RV...<----(Trivia not many understand about 50 amp svc on an RV) To add to the cooling ability and to lower roof leak potential we are eleminating the 2 skylites completely...One more thing we are having our floor with no carpet, vinyl through out...

How any of this rambling on my part helps you...I really liked the post about running one at a time for noise reduction at the end your in too...

Enjoy
Greg
Greg N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 04:25 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Science Hill , Kentucky
I think it also goes by what kind of person you are....for example...I am hot all the time....so for us major a/c is the way to go....on our 1974 Argosy there never was any a/c installed so we purchased last summer 2 portable 13,000 btu a/c units and love them....we will be putting hopefully this summer a 15,000 btu a/c with heater strip on top to keep everything nice and cool. We lived in Louisiana for most of our lives and know what the southern states have to deal with in humidity.....in our previous SOB we had upgraded to a 15,000 btu...not just for the coolness but mostly for the humidity...and our campers are white...I know that have a all shinny can will be even hotter. Happy camping to you.
Dotz(daschund) CB (daschund) Oh and 3 kids!!!
TAC# KY-3
mouth012006 is offline   Reply With Quote