Old 12-21-2004, 05:59 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

two dishes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsullivan
Thanks to everyone for the information. I was told by Dish Network that I would need two seperate dishes if I wanted to receive the "local" channels. I'm not sure if the oblong dish won't work at my location or if they just didn't have any in stock at the moment. Anyway, I went with Direct. I actually contacted a third party on-line and they are sending me the dish, two receivers and a self installation kit free of charge. All I pay is $20 shipping and sign up for one year of service from Direct. I'll let you know how everything works out.
Mr. Sullivan, I think someone gave you bad information about the "two dishes" required for local channels. I have a couple of friends with Dish and know for a fact that they receive local channels with one dish. Now with Dish network, if you subscribe to enought channels then you might need a special duel LNB antenna. But two dishes? No way. You may need a duel LNB because they only load so many channels one one satelite so you need to receive from two satelites. I have also been talking to Dish in depth about switching from Direct TV to their service and have not been told that I would need two dishes.

Bruce

Old 12-21-2004, 06:58 PM   #16

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallybyam
I have also been talking to Dish in depth about switching from Direct TV to their service and have not been told that I would need two dishes.

Bruce
In St. Louis you have to have two antennas to receive all of the local stations. This requirement varies from city to city.

One advantage that Dish has over Direct (at least the last time I checked) is that Dish continually upgrades their receiver software. I've been told that Direct equipment is pretty much locked into features and functionality when you purchase the equipment. One of my Dish receivers is over 4 years old and has gotten many capabilities beyond what came with the original unit.

Regards,

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 07:39 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Good luck getting a response from DirecTV either about RV use and packages. Three times I've tried and never never never got a response.
The HD stuff is great. Just not much content. There is another system out there as well but I don't remember the name.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:28 AM   #18
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I've had both.

DirectTV is ok, but I recently switched to Dish. The packages I get with Dish, I get them for about $4 less per month than I did with DirectTV. Additionally, I got a free receiver that can display on 2 different TVs (different stations on both at the same time). One has an IR remote and the other uses a radio signal to change stations.....and the second TV has no additional costs, so really that makes it about $9 less than DirectTV since they charge for the second set.

Signal quality is the same, but the folks at Dish are just more friendly.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 04:32 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Oakdale , Minnesota
We selected Dish because it was slightly cheaper, we didn't need to pay for shipping for the equipment. We paid $50 up front (credited to our next month’s bill), thus the dish, box (2 tuners in each box – runs two tvs in the house, 1 upstairs and 1 down), and installation were free. We also strongly recommend paying $5 a month for Digital Video Recorder (DVR). This small investment gets rid of the need for ever watching commercials. It also increased our enjoyment of our favorite shows as we can laugh not just once, or can pause any show to answer the phone or move the laundry. Sporting events have taken on a whole new dimension, as we can see “instant replay” at nearly any speed, forwards and backwards for each and every play as many times as we want. Bad calls? We can find them. Great Plays? We can see them over and over.
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 11:44 AM   #20
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
We made the change from Dish to Direct. Main reason was that Direct has DVR's (digital video recorders) with Tivo service built in.

Although Dish has DVR's in just a glorified vcr. With Direct Tivo, you get the season passes, wishlists, suggestion recordings, etc....

I never watch an on time broadcast now. I can zip past commercials with the 30 sec skip button!

As a plus, and to keep this trailer orientated, you can unplug your reciever and play your recorded shows in your trailer with out even hooking up a dish. But we never do that as we just burn shows we like to dvd and take those with us.
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 01:47 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
I have had both.

I had Direct while in Texas last winter. Never did get the local channels. They just kept giving me a run around. Wanted me to prove I was mobile. Wanted a copy of my truck and trailer titles faxed to the supplier/seller which happened to be a local phone company that provides the service. Neither Direct or the phone company were the least bit interested.

Dish is much smaller. I think they try harder.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:06 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Exeter , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59
Good luck getting a response from DirecTV either about RV use and packages. Three times I've tried and never never never got a response.
I've never inquired about RV use. I have an extra dish and receiver that I take with me while I'm away from home.

Ben
Old 01-11-2005, 04:22 PM   #23

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari Tim
Although Dish has DVR's in just a glorified vcr. With Direct Tivo, you get the season passes, wishlists, suggestion recordings, etc....
FWIW dept. The Dish 522 receivers out in the field were just upgraded over the last 3 weeks with some Tivo like features, much like the season pass quoted above. The 50x, and 510 receivers will be getting the same upgrade in the next few weeks, according to the latest "Charlie Chat" which aired last night.

Supposedly the new 622 receiver will be out this spring. Apparently they will be downloading 30+ movies onto the disk drives at first, with more coming later. It will be something similar to the Video on Demand feature that some cable services are offering.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 04:48 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Oakdale , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari Tim
We made the change from Dish to Direct. Main reason was that Direct has DVR's (digital video recorders) with Tivo service built in.

I never watch an on time broadcast now. I can zip past commercials with the 30 sec skip button!

As a plus, and to keep this trailer orientated, you can unplug your reciever and play your recorded shows in your trailer with out even hooking up a dish. But we never do that as we just burn shows we like to dvd and take those with us.
I would be interested in knowing what DVR you had with Dish. We have Dish and don't watch an on time broadcast either, even when we aren't recording the event.

Our Dish DVR banks time on the channel the receiver is currently on - always. We can pause live-tv when the phone rings, even when not "recording" a show. We can rewind live-tv to watch something again. We can also skip a commerical with the touch of a single button.

The only advantage I see that you have over the Dish DVR we have is the ability to burn shows to DVD, and that might just be because I haven't figured that out yet.
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

Old 01-11-2005, 04:52 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Oakdale , Minnesota
Our Dish DVR also allows us to record "all new" or "all" or "once" versions of a show. With these settings it will record as instructed, only this season's episodes of ER (for example). If we set it to record "all" episodes of American Chopper, it will record every episode on that channel until we tell it to stop.

It also has search features in which I can type in Airstream and search for shows with Airstream in the title or in the information on the show on all channels. I can then select the shows that I want to record from the results.

Old 01-11-2005, 05:00 PM   #26
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignrwe
I would be interested in knowing what DVR you had with Dish. .
I never had a PVR when I had the Dish service. My inlaws had it with Dish and showed us theirs. It was nice and we wanted one.

When we contacted Dish to upgrade to the newer PVR they would not let us upgrade two receivers, only one. So we switched to Direct.

My understanding of the Dish vs Direct service is that with Direct you have an actual Tivo service with all their features: season passes, wishlists, auto-recording suggestions based on the thumbs up/down you rate shows as you watch them.

Of course you pause/rewind live TV and all of that stuff as well.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:07 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Oakdale , Minnesota
The DVR we have (522) is actually two receivers in one box. It runs our upstairs and downstairs TVs separately. All functionality is available on both TVs. Two receivers are not needed. Any chance there was a misunderstanding?

Old 01-11-2005, 05:37 PM   #28
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Could have been a misunderstanding. But we are very happy with our new setup.

We can record two different shows while watching third one that has been recorded. Or watch one live and record another live at the same time etc...

Plus as I said, the tivo services are great. And now with TivoToGo coming out that will make it better for a lot of people.