Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-15-2019, 08:30 AM   #1
Hygge Hus

2016 30' Classic
Johnston , Iowa
Dead Elcetrical Outlet - In Cabinet above Main TV

My first post - my first issue I can't figure out. I have a 2016 30' Classic. I couldn't get the DVD player to work so I started the troubleshooting. There is an outlet marked with the inverter sticker that is located directed next to the DVD player. There was a two inch black box plugged into one outlet (probably the power for the HDMI splitter for the front TV and the back TV) and the plug in for the DVD player. I have an electrical outlet ground fault protector checker that I plugged in to the outlet and I didn't get any lights. I think that means the outlet is dead. I checked all the other outlets in the trailer and they all lit up when I plugged this in. I then tested the DVD player and HDMI directly to the TV and with other power and it works so I think we have determined the outlet is bad.

I checked the breaker box and no breakers had been triggered. We wondered if other outlets went to this breaker and thought the location was near the furnace so we went outside and checked the outlet in the outside furnace compartment. This was also dead.

Before I call an electrician, I wanted to see if there was an obvious solution. I have read the manuals on all and I cannot see any discussion of a "secret switch" or other way to turn on power to the outlet. Thank you for any leads you may have.
rspecialk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 08:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Are these GFI outlets? GFI outlets are often in series. That means if one goes out the others down the line will go out. So the simplest solution (and cheapest) is simply check the first outlet in the series to make sure it hasn’t tripped. I’m not sure which is the first in the series, but it’s most like the one with the little switch on the outlet. So if it is the outside outlet start there. If the inside outlet start there.

With these types of outlets no breakers will necessarily trip. The breaker at the outlet will trip first. And they are very sensitive.

I had a similar situation in my garage (not AS). I had an outlet that would not work. In fact there were a series that didn’t work. I found the first outlet in the series and simply pushed the trip switch in and all worked.

Always start with the simplest solution first.

It’s also true these outlets do tend to go bad easily. So don’t call an electrician. Rather simply replace the outlets first if after pushing in the trip switch at the outlet it still doesn’t work. Then if that doesn’t work, call an electrician. Then you may have a ground issue somewhere.

By the way if more than one outlet is bad it could be as simple as a lose wire of an outlet in series. Good luck.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 07:49 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
What are the indications at the inverter? Are there any other inverter outlets, and are they working? Since I don’t have an inverter I’m not familiar with them, but I assume they have a pass through function when shore power is present. If not then the inverter would have to be on to provide power to its outlets.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:45 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Daquenzer is correct. It could be just the Ground fault plug. Check the bathroom, under the dining table, galley counter top plug, and at the front door also. My Classic is in storage so I cannot verify all of these are GF.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 09:13 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
If you're plugging into an inverter outlet then your inverter must be powered on. There should be a button by the kitchen area to turn it on. If this not an inverter outlet, but a regular outlet it would be highly unlikely that it's on a gfi. An arc fault breaker maybe present, but unlikely.

If you're inverter is powered then perhaps it's not working. Find the inverter and check the output voltage there. Perhaps a fuse inside the inverter is blown, as AS usually only installs 600 watt inverters and anyone could have plugged a larger load than allowed into it.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 10:33 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Someone on another post said that from 2017 on the inverters had a bypass. Op's is a 2016 so may not. Inverter may have to be on.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 06:43 AM   #7
Hygge Hus

2016 30' Classic
Johnston , Iowa
I'm hanging in there

I appreciate all the responses and I promise to let you know the resolution. I am plugged into garage shore power (15 Amps?) while I play with the new-to-me AS in my driveway. The first camping experience is two weeks from now at a State Park close to home with 50 Amp service and a experienced RV friend who will be in a nearby camper who can also help trouble shoot. Until then, this is what I know.

The labled GFCI protected outlet by the stove works sometimes. If I see it is off (checking with my charger) and I flip the breaker that is at the end of the line of breakers in the breaker box, (the one with the blue test button) it will go back on. The GFCI outlets we have in our house have a button to reset if it gets tripped. I don't see any with that button in the AS. The two outlets by the couch are also labeled GFCI but also without a trip button. The outlet under the table and the one to the DVD player are marked "Inverter Circuit". The inverter control is by the GFCI outlet by the stove. I have turned it on and a green light is shinning. The Inverter Outlet under the table shows power. The troublesome outlet that works the DVD does not show power.

When I check all the outlets I will often hear a click and the breaker will trip and all the GFCI outlets will turn off until I flip the breaker again. It is almost as if the charge needed to test the outlets with my tester pulls enough to trip the breaker. During this same time, the "inverter" outlet under the table will still be charged.

Thanks for sticking with this electrical issue. Frankly, that was what I was most nervous about by getting this AS. I am finally having a need to know how electricity works. It is kinda fun if you can forgive the place of where I begin with my questions.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:59 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Not sure what type of tester you're using. But just try a simple light that doesn't require too much power and see how that works in the outlets. Since you're plugged into only a 15 amp socket with most likely a long extension cord, you're not likely to get much power in the AS. Your voltage in the AS might take a dive depending on the load.

Try just powering one circuit at a time. Make sure you're not using the AC or the water heater either when plugged into your garage outlet.

In order to help you we need more information. Distance of extensive cord. Type of cord. Voltage at source and destination.

There have been many people posting about GFCI's tripping. Try to see what those people have done. GFCI'S do go defective, but not likely all of them at once unless this trailer was hit by lightning. You need to start by troubleshooting one circuit at a time. If you have less than 110 volts in the trailer start there. You mentioned that you had a 50 amp trailer. How are hooking this up to your 110 outlet in the garage?
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 06:11 AM   #9
Hygge Hus

2016 30' Classic
Johnston , Iowa
I promised to stay with this. I have returned from our weekend camping trip where we had 50 amp shore power. Everything worked, AC, water heater, all lights, except for the troublesome DVD plug (and the awning lights - which is odd because they worked fine when I was plugged into my 15 amp service at home). For the question above on how I did this, I have a "dog-bone" that converts from 15 amp to 30 amp and then a 30 amp to a 50 amp and then I plug my camper in. Seems to work all lights and awning while I am at home.

I have added this electrical question to my Winterization Package. I will take it in on November 7th and then I will post what was wrong.

In murphy's law vein, the one thing I didn't check when I picked up our previously owned 2016 classic was the DVD player. I would have discovered the bad plug. I had to get to my daughters volleyball game.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:38 AM   #10
Hygge Hus

2016 30' Classic
Johnston , Iowa
I have returned from my winterization (I had it done at the dealer as we are dropping to significantly below 0 and I wanted to make sure I it was done right. Next year I hope to do it on my own) and I asked them to check the bad outlet. I told them all the above steps that were recommended and that I tried. SO....THE OUTLET IS INDEED BAD. I HAVE SCHEDULED TO HAVE IT FIXED. I WANTED TO REPORT THE ANSWER TO ALL THOSE THAT TRIED TO HELP. THE TECH SAID THAT THE WIRES ARE ATTACHED DIFFERENTLY THAN HOME OUTLETS AND SOMETIME THEY SHAKE LOOSE WHILE MOVING. Thanks again for the trouble shooting.