Old 07-04-2018, 01:57 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
2002 25' Classic
Raymore , Missouri
Dead Converter

I believe my converter is dead. Im having all kinds of issues with the 12v system. It pretty much all dies (including the electric jack ) when I unplug from 110.

The trailer is a 2002 25ft Classic. We are the 3rd owners (as far as we know). I believe it was the original owner that had the solar panels installed. The solar panels are adding a little more confusion to the system for us. But we are fairly confident that its the converter acting up.

I have searched the web for the model that is in the trailer now and havent had much luck finding anything. Any ideas or suggestions on what to replace it with?

walker77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 04:13 PM   #2
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Replace it 😳😂

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker77 View Post
I believe my converter is dead. Im having all kinds of issues with the 12v system. It pretty much all dies (including the electric jack ) when I unplug from 110.

The trailer is a 2002 25ft Classic. We are the 3rd owners (as far as we know). I believe it was the original owner that had the solar panels installed. The solar panels are adding a little more confusion to the system for us. But we are fairly confident that its the converter acting up.

I have searched the web for the model that is in the trailer now and havent had much luck finding anything. Any ideas or suggestions on what to replace it with?

We had the 55a version of that P-lax converter.
When it took a dump I replaced it with the IOTA DLS 55a IQ4. That was 10 yrs ago, there are newer options available.
I recommend Randy at Best Converter. he has always been a straight shooter. 👍

Bob
🇺🇸

"The hardest thing about Airstreaming, clearing your head and accepting how others feel it’s supposed to be done"…..
Amanamus

"Tahawus"
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 05:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Sounds like the converter is still putting out if the 12 volt system works on 110 but not when disconnected? Could be something else or the converter and something else. I think you need to check some voltages.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 05:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Do you have a battery disconnect switch?
From your description I believe the converter is working.
How old is the battery?
What is the voltage at the battery?
Does the battery voltage change when connected to shore power?
Are the battery connections clean?
Old 07-04-2018, 06:01 PM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

12V stuff works when on shore power, but dies when not on shore power = converter is working ( 120V is being converted to 12V when 120V is available).

12V stuff does not work when off shore power = you have a battery problem. That could involve dead batteries, a cutoff switch, or a wiring problem. Troubleshooting would be required to work out what.

Converters range all over the place. A Victron Multi 3000 is a pretty good thing to put in. For about $1,500 it may not be for everybody. You also can get converters on eBay for < $35. They likely are not a great idea. Since the converter does not seem to be the issue, figure out what *is* the problem first and then decide how much converter you can afford.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 07:09 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
2002 25' Classic
Raymore , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Do you have a battery disconnect switch?
From your description I believe the converter is working.
How old is the battery?
What is the voltage at the battery?
Does the battery voltage change when connected to shore power?
Are the battery connections clean?

Batteries are new (4 total).

The battery shut off is in the correct position.

Maybe a charging issue?
walker77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 07:25 PM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker77 View Post
Batteries are new (4 total).

The battery shut off is in the correct position.

Maybe a charging issue?
Hi

You get a charging issue when the converter does not put voltage on the system when hooked up to shore power. In this case, you only get things working when on shore power. That says the converter *is* putting voltage on the system.

If "new batteries" means brand new, I'd check how they are wired. It's mighty easy to "forget" one of the wires.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 05:36 AM   #8
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
To the OP:

Were you able to get this problem resolved? Was it the converter, if so what did you replace it with? Was it a battery problem or wiring problem? Please let us know so your thread will help other Airstream owners.

2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote