Old 06-21-2015, 05:59 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
westfield , Massachusetts
Before replacing the univolt system in my 79 sovereign we would routinely get a live current when touching the front door or frame and either step or ground. After replacing the
Univolt a few years ago the problem disappeared. I believe it was a poor ground issue but am really not 100% sure . The annoying buzzing in the speaker system stopped as well. Your unit is pretty new (comparatively speaking) I would most certainly call the experts.

Old 06-21-2015, 07:06 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
Thanks! Yes, I do have solar on the trailer.

Old 06-21-2015, 07:24 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Arlington , Virginia
Testing at Home

OK, I've got my trailer back home and connected to my shore power.

I dug out my AC outlet tester pen (just like the video, except it doesn't go off until I still it right into the hot side of an outlet), went outside and tested the door frame, steps, etc., around it - nothing, light stays green.

I did connect my multimeter to it and set it again to DC, 200V, it's still showing a little bit of charge, maybe 0.18. Of course, it hasn't rained since last night and I drove it 200 miles, so maybe a problem dried out.

Someone asked about the solar panels, I wonder if there's a bad connection there somewhere.

Cheers,

Airstream Dad
Old 06-21-2015, 09:32 PM   #18
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Do you have florescent lighting of any type or size in the coach?
Old 06-21-2015, 10:03 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Middletown , Maryland
It is unlikely that a low voltage solar power power system can produce enough voltage to cause a shock.

Also (just FYI) anything under 50Vdc is considered safe:
Small Contact Voltage Exposures Not Lethal to Human | Shock & Electrocution content from Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Old 06-21-2015, 10:19 PM   #20
Jim&Teach

1976 31' Sovereign
Portage , Indiana
I have the same issue when plugged in house 120volts. A little bite when changing a tire leaning against the AS. Please keep me updated. Just got "Lucille"last fall. Beside lots of leaks she rocks!!! Took her on maiden voyage last weekend. What a learning experience. 400 miles round trip. Back home safe and sound!
Old 06-21-2015, 10:29 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Middletown , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmbob View Post
I have the same issue when plugged in house 120volts. A little bite when changing a tire leaning against the AS. Please keep me updated. Just got "Lucille"last fall. Beside lots of leaks she rocks!!! Took her on maiden voyage last weekend. What a learning experience. 400 miles round trip. Back home safe and sound!
Jim, you may want to watch the video in post #11.

The condition you describe could be deadly.
Old 06-21-2015, 11:38 PM   #22
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Zero voltage! Even with low voltage, it is the "amps" that can hurt you
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 12:08 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Middletown , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Zero voltage! Even with low voltage, it is the "amps" that can hurt you
That's true, but there must be enough voltage to overcome the body's resistance:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electr...athophysiology
Old 06-22-2015, 01:51 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Shocked from 12 volts.

Hi, way back in the 70's I was working on a Lincoln and got a good shock. And you all know that I was working on a 12 volt system. Here is what happened; I was removing a power relay, the old type that had a metal housing. Well the metal housing had a mounting tap as part of the relay's body. And this tab was also the ground for this relay. As soon as I removed the screw holding this relay in place, I got a good shock because the voltage went backwards through the windings and this increased the voltage. From that point on, I unplugged the relays before removing then.

Yes, you can get shocked with 12 volts.

And someone here mentioned loose grounds.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 04:08 AM   #25
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhilley View Post
Sounds a bit nutty but are you near a radar installation? Are you near a transmitting tower(TV) or a cell tower? You can tell if it is radar by hooking an analog meter to the skin and to ground. The needle will sweep up when the radar comes around. Please don't laugh! I have seen it. Could you be near a high voltage power line? You can pick up things like you have by inductance. That is loosely defined as two conductors close by, the voltage transferring from the active conductor to the neutral conductor (like the skin of your trailer).
Just over the hill is a MASSIVE facility. It is a very secure facility as I found out while taking a drive...
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 06:13 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

Arlington , Virginia
It's not really a hard shock, in fact, we had to hold the door frame for 2-3 seconds before feelin the tingling. Very strange.

Frank was right, there was a huge radar facility, but maybe 2 miles away?

And yes, there was also a power line running above the camp sites, perhaps 30 feet up.

I'll test it again today when everything dries out.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:51 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
This time when you test please set your meter to AC voltage.

As for the over head power lines.
During the electrification of rural America farmers would lay wire on the ground under the power lines and tap off Free power. The length of the wire determined the voltage. A can 30 ft below a power line may be your answer, depending on the voltage on that line.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 10:03 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
There are many possible causes of this issue. Since the OP indicated that the problem was still present when shore power was disconnected, it is unlikely that it is a bad ground. In fact, the trailer is probably isolated from ground as the only intentional ground reference is the safety ground wire in the power cable that is connected to ground, by code, at the power entrance point to the house or facility.

1. A ground reference can be provided by an unintentional ground connection. Was your tongue jack in contact with the ground? Try putting an insulator (dry wood, plastic leveling block, etc.) between the jack and ground.

2. Electromagnetic coupling to the power lines is a definite possibility. Grounding the trailer with a real ground rod might help. Military grounding and bonding requirements typically require that power generating and consuming devices (generators, shelters, etc.) be grounded when in a semi-permanent location.

3. As for the meter, if you are using a digital, high impedance meter, the voltage may be due to galvanic interaction, particularly if the tongue jack is touching wet ground. This is like the old high school science experiment where you put a copper item and a zinc or iron item into a lemon.

4. While a 9V battery will make your tongue tingle, you can safely touch the posts of a 12V car battery and not feel anything. Tingling feeling when touching something with extremities is, IMO, an indication of the presence of AC. Shocks from "12 volt systems" are usually due to an inductive kickback, like when the circuit through a coil is interrupted. While the battery is 12V, the voltage spike generated by breaking a circuit with a significant inductance (coil) can be several hundred volts.

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote