Old 08-04-2016, 09:40 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1979 28' Ambassador
2014 27' FB Classic
Port Townsend , Washington
Question Cross fed 12v...pulled fuse for radio but still had power

Last weekend we were out camping and the radio would not respond. It was on and playing music but all buttons were unresponsive. I went to the 12v panel and pulled the fuse for the radio, but it stayed powered up. I continued to work my way down the line and pulled one fuse at a time. Still stayed powered up. I then thought about something not wired right along the way and getting power from two sources. I pulled the radio fuse and then pulled fuses one at a time until I finally hit the one for the lights and then the radio went out. It looks like those two circuits are cross feeding somewhere. Anyone have an idea where that might be?

2014 Classic Limited 27FB

Old 08-04-2016, 10:05 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Is the radio 1979 vintage or newer? If newer radios have a memory function that is feed all he time. How many wires went to the radio? If 2 other than ground check for voltage as you put the fuses back in place. It may be a problem in the radio itself.

You may want to remove the radio and bench test it to see if the problem is there.

HowieE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 01:10 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1979 28' Ambassador
2014 27' FB Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Is the radio 1979 vintage or newer?
It is a 2014. Even if they used a different fuse for the memory (which would be really strange in an Airstream, the main power to it should have cut out when I pulled the fuse.

Looks like I will have to pull the radio and try to figure out what they did. In an installation like this, they should have tied the ignition and battery power wires to the same incoming 12V supply fuse.
Old 08-04-2016, 02:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdepas View Post
It is a 2014. Even if they used a different fuse for the memory (which would be really strange in an Airstream, the main power to it should have cut out when I pulled the fuse.

Looks like I will have to pull the radio and try to figure out what they did. In an installation like this, they should have tied the ignition and battery power wires to the same incoming 12V supply fuse.
Usually the battery line is only used to hold up memories and/or detect removal to activate anti-theft. If possible you could run the battery line to the battery side of the store/use switch and the ignition line to the trailer side of the switch. This could avoid having to re-enter the code every time the trailer is put in store. Maybe someone tried to wire it this way and reversed the wires.

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 03:33 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1979 28' Ambassador
2014 27' FB Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
Maybe someone tried to wire it this way and reversed the wires.
I can check for that but this is factory fresh so if some hanky-panky was played with the wiring, it happened at the mother ship.

Don't really care about re-entering the stored info if I put it in store mode. Would rather not have the drain on the battery and it seems I always camp where the stations are different anyway so I just use seek till I find what I like.
Old 08-05-2016, 11:17 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Eugene (Tracktown USA) , Oregon
Quote:
Last weekend we were out camping and the radio would not respond. It was on and playing music but all buttons were unresponsive. I went to the 12v panel and pulled the fuse for the radio, but it stayed powered up. I continued to work my way down the line and pulled one fuse at a time. Still stayed powered up. I then thought about something not wired right along the way and getting power from two sources. I pulled the radio fuse and then pulled fuses one at a time until I finally hit the one for the lights and then the radio went out. It looks like those two circuits are cross feeding somewhere. Anyone have an idea where that might be?

2014 Classic Limited 27FB
redpas maybe this thread will help post, specifically #27 from the late idroba re how the radio is wired.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...ml#post1767989

Bob
Old 08-05-2016, 02:06 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1979 28' Ambassador
2014 27' FB Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
redpas maybe this thread will help post, specifically #27 from the late idroba re how the radio is wired.
Bob - I was assuming Airstream tied the two power wires from the radio together (ignition and battery). My issue is that if I pull the fuse for the radio that is labeled, it alone will not power down the radio. Even if I pull the second fuse found to be tied to the radio somehow, it will not power down the radio. Only when I pull both fuses will it power down the radio. Even if they tied the ignition wire to one fuse and battery wire to another fuse, the radio would have powered down when pulling one of the fuses.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:11 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Bob - I was assuming Airstream tied the two power wires from the radio together (ignition and battery). My issue is that if I pull the fuse for the radio that is labeled, it alone will not power down the radio. Even if I pull the second fuse found to be tied to the radio somehow, it will not power down the radio. Only when I pull both fuses will it power down the radio. Even if they tied the ignition wire to one fuse and battery wire to another fuse, the radio would have powered down when pulling one of the fuses.
redpas, not that it matters as you say something is cross wired and I think you're right. However wouldn't both fuses (ignition & battery/parasitic) have to be pulled to completely power down. Don't they separately power radio/amp vs memory/pre sets which is always hot.

You didn't mention, but did this simply start one time when you were using the radio? Maybe this is a stereo circuit board issue, but that maybe it was caused when the wires somehow crosses...maybe rubbing against a sharp bit of alu.

Maybe that cross initiated the board failure. No shortage of sharp alu behind the scenes.

Good luck and please let us know what the resolution is.

Bob

p.s. I'm with you on [ Don't really care about re-entering the stored info if I put it in store mode. Would rather not have the drain on the battery and it seems I always camp where the stations are different anyway so I just use seek till I find what I like. ] I still keep the USE on when on SP mainly so I don't have to deal with re-setting for "going dark" and loosing the light show.
Old 08-06-2016, 07:29 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1979 28' Ambassador
2014 27' FB Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
...wouldn't both fuses (ignition & battery/parasitic) have to be pulled to completely power down. Don't they separately power radio/amp vs memory/pre sets which is always hot.

You didn't mention, but did this simply start one time when you were using the radio? Maybe this is a stereo circuit board issue, but that maybe it was caused when the wires somehow crosses...maybe rubbing against a sharp bit of alu.
Bob - It would be odd they would run the two separate power wires to two separate circuits. Really be no need for it since an Airstream TT doesn't have am ignition switch like a car does so if 12V is out...it is out to all the fuses. My guess is if I pull the radio, I will find they tied both the ignition and battery wires together on the radio and fed them with the one fused incoming wire.

My few is you are right and the two wires may have gotten nicked when pulling them through the chassis. Assuming they still aren't rubbing on the chassis or I would think I would be blowing fuses since the chassis is grounded.

I was looking at how to easily get at the radio in the 2014 Classic and I may be able to pull the shelf out of the overhead with one screw, but that seems too easy. Guess I just have to give it a go and see where it leads me.

As for the issue of the radio not responding - yes, it could be a faulty radio. It has only happened once and by resetting the power to it, full function returned. If I have to replace the radio, it won't break my heart. Still doubt the radio is wired to two separate source fuses since that wouldn't have any benefit in a travel trailer.
Old 08-06-2016, 10:26 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Bob - It would be odd they would run the two separate power wires to two separate circuits. Really be no need for it since an Airstream TT doesn't have am ignition switch like a car does so if 12V is out...it is out to all the fuses. My guess is if I pull the radio, I will find they tied both the ignition and battery wires together on the radio and fed them with the one fused incoming wire.

My few is you are right and the two wires may have gotten nicked when pulling them through the chassis. Assuming they still aren't rubbing on the chassis or I would think I would be blowing fuses since the chassis is grounded.

I was looking at how to easily get at the radio in the 2014 Classic and I may be able to pull the shelf out of the overhead with one screw, but that seems too easy. Guess I just have to give it a go and see where it leads me.

As for the issue of the radio not responding - yes, it could be a faulty radio. It has only happened once and by resetting the power to it, full function returned. If I have to replace the radio, it won't break my heart. Still doubt the radio is wired to two separate source fuses since that wouldn't have any benefit in a travel trailer.

redpas, I was wrong as I was thinking the ignition wire went thru the USE switch but the memory was always hot from the battery (but that is how it works in the car). I was thinking separate sources. In storage I disc the neg as I have no SP and I need to shutoff all parasitic draws. I was thinking both propane and radio, but remembering that I used to go to STORE when on SP after the batts were topped off, to save the batteries, the radio memory was dropped.

{IDROBA: Now, when that same auto radio is put into an RV such as an Airstream, what does the manufacturer do with the two input wires? There is no Ignition key switch to allow things like the display lights to be turned off when not needed. So what normally happens is the two wires are hooked together and the display lights and clock (if the radio has a clock) are always on. }

Just a head up...seems Centennialman, another new 20 owner who was having radio problems, pulled his out for a peek...saw the birds nest and called the dealer.

Good luck and keep us posted.

bob

Tags
12v