Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2016, 06:04 PM   #1

Windsor , California
CPAP Machines

Looking for solutions to using the CPAT while boondocking? Our trailer only has USB connections and I'm wondering if the wires to the USB connection can handle the current requirements for a CPAT if I change the connection to a standard cigar lighter style.
Chief Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 06:12 PM   #2

Windsor , California
OK. I meant C-PAP.
Old 09-17-2016, 07:04 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
You need a 12 volt power supply and the cigarette lighter style female socket wired into your 12 volt circuitry. Not sure if the USB receptacle carries enough wattage. I have a Respironics BIPAP machine. Respironics makes a specific 12 volt cord that you need for the 12 volt receptacle. Most automotive stereo shops or RV dealers can wire in the proper 12 volt receptacle. Hope this helps.
Ken
pkm123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 07:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
The Zamp CPAP Power Center is fantastic and comes with a pure sine inverter, all cables, hardware and everything needed to connect to your house batteries.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 07:32 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Montreal , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Overlander View Post
The Zamp CPAP Power Center is fantastic and comes with a pure sine inverter, all cables, hardware and everything needed to connect to your house batteries.
Is that different then using the factory installed inverter?
Papa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 08:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Yeah, it makes you breath better Seriously no, if you already have a pure sine inverter, you would not need another one. The dedicated duplex, voltage monitor, cables and hardware are all you would need. Some already have some of that too but not many older units do.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 09:22 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Jeff View Post
Looking for solutions to using the CPAT while boondocking? Our trailer only has USB connections and I'm wondering if the wires to the USB connection can handle the current requirements for a CPAT if I change the connection to a standard cigar lighter style.
I have a Phillips Respironics CPAP, which runs on a 60 watt power supply. Phillips does have, and I bought, a 12V cord to run my CPAP directly off the trailer 12V.

The USB outlets in your trailer are wired thru a 12V DC circuit protected by a 15 amp fuse. 12 Volts times 15 amps is 180 watts, way more than required by my CPAP.

Your USB outlets, while providing power at 5 volts, are wired to 12 V DC and basically are step down DC transformers. You should be able to swap the existing USB outlet faceplate for a combo outlet that has both 12V DC cigar lighter socket and 5 V DC USB outlets, like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/MOUNT-12V-VPA.../dp/B00SVVQHKW

Running 12V DC battery power thru an inverter to get 120V AC that your CPAP transformer can plug into to make 12V DC for the CPAP means a power loss at the inverter and at the CPAP transformer. Buying the appropriate 12V DC cord from your CPAP's manufacturer and swapping your outlet should be energy more efficient.

Happy Boondocking, sleep well!!!

"To err is human, to air is devine."
Burnside Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 10:11 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
2020 25' International
Clinton , Land of Purple Mtn Majesty,Montana
I have dealt with the same issue. First while Motorcycle Camping and with our new 22FB Sport.
A key factor when providing power to Cpap/Bi-Pap devices is using the "humidifier". The power draw is greater when the "humidifier" is used. If I'm in a very "humid" climate I don't use my "humidifier".

I don't recall seeing what trailer you own and whether or not it already has an "inverter" installed but here is how i dealt with the question. My "solution" and follow-up is included in the thread "We made some changes". http://www.airforums.com/forums/f295...137731-10.html
My posts on the subject start at #133. I've included photos of the installation and a follow-up of the results after several days of "boondocking".
Hope it proves helpful.

Pat
Rpatrick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:12 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Fonthill , Ontario
As an alternative, perhaps a battery pack just for the CPAP machine.
http://www.cpap-supply.com/Universal...-p/1028869.htm
Gives 2 nights worth of power between charges.
73's VE3ZPW
Unka Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:19 AM   #10
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
The separate battery pack is cool, as you can charge it whenever you have shore power.

As others have noted, it's unlikely that a USB port would carry enough current to run a CPAP machine. Here's another 12V outlet idea, something you could probably have installed near the bed, running off the same 12V wires as your USB outlet: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014171UVU

I've ordered this item for other reasons and it will come in soon. It has decent reviews. If you're interested and I remember, I'll post again when it comes in and tell you what I think of it.

BTW, 12V power for your CPAP will be easier on your house batteries than an inverter (which can be a hungry beast), so if you can go the 12V route it should be better.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 10:09 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I sometimes run my CPAP on one of the 12 volt outlets in the trailer. I had one of the outlets short out one night and had to replace it. Very difficult to fit one into the wall. I had to cut a Radio Shack one apart and re solder the ground to the side of it instead of out the back to make it fit.

You could just unscrew one of the USB outlets and check the wire size to it. Maybe Airstream used the same wire for it they used to use for the 12 volt?. Without the heater or humidifier the CPAP does not draw a lot of current.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:04 AM   #12

Windsor , California
Wow! You are all amazing. To answer Rpatrick16 I have a 2016, 25 FC rear twin. It has a plug behind the rear tv which runs off the inverter that we have run a cord to, but it's at the foot of the bed requiring a bit, of what I would call unsafe cord run around (I'm retired FF) to make the connection. The USB outlets are very convenient placed on the side of the center console, so a change over there would be ideal. The wires just seem to be of to small gauge to handle the load. I guess I should look up an electrician to make the call on their ability. The old 'rule of thumb' is never use a wire or cord that's size is smaller then the cord you are plunging in. Thanks again and look forward to meeting you all out there. Next trip Sierra's, hopefully before the snow.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:10 PM   #13
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
...Here's another 12V outlet idea, something you could probably have installed near the bed, running off the same 12V wires as your USB outlet: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014171UVU
Just received this item today. It looks well-made, I'm happy with the purchase. So if you've a nearby location into which something like this could be placed (*not* the aluminum skin of the trailer, the sockets appear too deep for that) and wired these sockets from behind with the appropriate gauge of wire, it could be a great solution for the CPAP and any other 12-volt doo-dads you want to plug in while in your bedroom. BTW, the sockets in this item are designed to be removed and replaced (very simple screw), so it's feasible that a USB socket could be swapped in if you wanted both USB and 12V service.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 05:06 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Sandy , Utah
If you do a search on this forum for 12 volt plug you will find many interesting threads. To answer your first question, the wires plugged into the USB are designed for 5 volt output. They are not large enough but are connected to 10 gauge wire that is big enough. I made my connections there and replaced one of the USB plugs in the bedroom with a 12 volt plug from West Marine. It fits in the same hole and is accessible from underneath the shelf. It works great for my CPAP. Using the Inverter to power the CPAP will drain the batteries quickly. That is why I went the other route.
rocco52 is offline   Reply With Quote