Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-01-2007, 11:54 AM   #1

1966 24' Tradewind
spring creek , Nevada
could use some advice on the electrical in my trailer

I touched the outside of it and it shocked me a while back so i unplugged it, electricity wont work at all now, altough im not really sure if im forgetting anything... anyone want to throw me some advice?
razordarkbla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 01:11 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
First check the outlet that you were plugged into for proper polarity. (you do have one of those three light polarity checkers. If not get one at your local hardware or home center) If that is OK then you have a problem with the trailer. Somehow the hot is connected to ground. Very dangerous. Don't plug in again until you find the problem. an ohm meter will be your best friend in solving the problem.
jimmickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 02:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 30’ Globetrotter
2001 30' Excella
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by razordarkbla
I touched the outside of it and it shocked me a while back so i unplugged it, electricity wont work at all now, altough im not really sure if im forgetting anything... anyone want to throw me some advice?
We had a similar problem when we first purchased our AS. We found that the shore power cable was riddled with cracks and was deteriorated. This situation caused a short on one leg of the power to the trailer skin where the cord passes through the hole into the interior of the trailer. We also found that at some point in the past that the strain relief on the main power box had been bypassed due to a short and subsequent fire in the rear compartment. We re-wired the whole box with new wiring and replaced the main cord with a new one purchased from Home Depot. We have had no other issues with a "hot skin" on the trailer.

Air #22673
WBCCI# 2731
Four Corners Unit
LHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 02:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Good advice!

Starting at the supply outlet and checking the polarity is #1. Then check your umbilical cord. With an Ohm meter, do a continuity test on each wire in the cord. Then try cross-testing them. If you get any reading other than zero when you cross test, throw the cord away and get a new one as it has been compromised and you are getting a shorted power supply which will case your hot skin problem.

If your cord is OK, check inside the junction box of the trailer to see if everything is properly wired for polarity.

A hot skin basically is sending the hot leg of the 120VAC thru the trailer ground or neutral and when you touch the trailer, YOU are completing a path to ground that allows the current to pass thru you, causing the shocking experience.

Check back and let us know what you'[ve found!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 03:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
First, welcome to the Forum.
All the answers are right on target. Search the electrical sub-forum and you'll find this a comes up every so often. A DVOM is an invaluable tool when you own a vintage unit.
Lastly, '60s Airstreams may have aluminum wiring. Much more prone to failure than copper. When you get the supply side straightened out check the breakers and outlets for loose, corroded or overheated contacts and terminals.
Caused an outlet to catch fire once plugging in a coffee maker. Not to scare you, but, I have replaced the box with new breakers and put in all new outlets.

Good luck. Keep us posted,
Tom.

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 03:12 PM   #6
Rivet Master

you might have figured this out already.......

The power probably doesn't work now, because you tripped a circuit breaker,
either in the house or in the trailer. In addition to using a 3 light circuit tester or a voltmeter, I like to use a lamp or a radio. That enables me to walk around and wiggle cables to check for intermittant problems.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote