Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2015, 01:15 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

tucson , Arizona
Cotimundi

Hope I'm in the right spot. We are new to the rv world so trying to understand how systems work etc. We bought an 87 sovereign and were disappointed because it needed so much when told otherwise. Sold it as it was turning into a money pit and bought a 07 safari fb ( our dream tt). We love it. Problem is as is true often with used it needs some tlc as the former owners used it but didn't maintain it and were told everything was good but not so much. I have three areas that are must do items and need some experienced input please. One- Ac fan comes on but compressor doesn't start up. I'm going to take it into be repaired but want to make sure I'm not missing anything before I do. Thermostat is on cool but no cold. Hopefully it's low freon or relay. Don't want to buy a new unit if possible. Two- noticed some water at the back bottom of window on the interior wall when bringing it home through some rain. Should I replace the weatherstrip? The weatherstrip and caulking both look good. Three- When plugged in with the radio on it quits when the overhead lights are switched on. Was told the batteries were new but the inverter doesn't seem to charge them. It was plugged in for 12 hours. WE love our airstream and this site. Thanks Neale
cotimundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 01:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Are you using a thirty amp power source? You probably have a converter which may it charge the batteries if they are old and bad. I would check the battery fluid andmake sure I am plugged into thirty amp, 120 volt. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 01:43 PM   #3
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Welcome to the forums! Although I do not know the answers to your questions, somebody on here does. You can also go looking through the Technical Section of the forums tab up top and find a LOT of info.

See you down the road!!!
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 05:55 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

tucson , Arizona
Thanks for the input. The batts were low and found out the sellers put in the cheapest deep cycle they could. only one month old and one is down to 50% life left. Going to have the charging system and everything checked. Will probable replace them but want better quality but not 600 plus price. We are also going to put solar on eventually but have to wait now because"everything works great "
was not so good.
cotimundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 06:10 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Crestview , Florida
Welcome

Welcome. The window issue I would have someone outside with a hose spray around the window and slowly go around it watching from the inside.If all is ok around window spray around the running lights above the window and any seams in the area. The battery issue may be due to one of two things the converter charger that come standard in AS
don't do a good job charging the batteries one thing I learned you have to be sure to to put the batt disconnect button to use even if the light is on be sure to push it to use you will hear a sound come from near the front of the camper. You could try to use a portable battery charger to see if your batteries will hold a charge be sure to have the batt disconnect button in store mode for this. Do yourself a favor and get a quality volt meter. Check the batteries before and during charging to be sure your getting voltage to the battery from the charger. I upgraded my converter charger to a 3 stage unit PD4655 works very well. The A/C issue could be as someone else said make sure it's connected to a 30 amp 120 volt outlet that is not a standard outlet most any campground will have one or an RV repair shop. Good luck Rand
grizbear is offline   Reply With Quote