Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-30-2013, 02:14 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
lacombe , Alberta
converting to modern Electrics on 1969 landyacht

I have installed solar and MPPT charger and pure-sine converter and all 12V bulbs are now L.E.D.'s
My problem comes when I want to attach 120 volt system to the convertor. I have a 120 volt wire (14/2) in the vicinity that probably used to go to the univolt (blue box).
Can I use it as a feed for my electrical panel?
Will I have to relocate it to the input side of my 120 breaker box?
would I be better to splice into the white 12/2 shore power wire that goes right by?
naidni45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:25 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
The "pure-sine" thing is probably an inverter, perhaps an inverter/charger depending on the particular device.

If you're planning to use the inverter to power all of the 120v system when you're not on shore power, and shore power when you are, I think you'll need a transfer switch.

In any event it sounds like you need to consult with someone who has experience with this sort of mixed system. The way new Airstreams are set up is that certainly outlets are supplied by the inverter, and I believe the inverter has a "pass through" mode when shore power is available so those outlets switch over to shore power. The other, normal outlets are only powered when on shore power or a generator. Since the trailers use a normal inverter (rather than an inverter-charger like the Interstates) they may use a transfer switch for those, or may just power them with the inverter only. Putting in dedicated inverter outlets would require running some new romex, though.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:23 PM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Ugh... I shouldn't toss off posts while I'm on a coffee break and thinking about work... my response is poorly written. I didn't make a clear distinction between inverters and inverter/chargers, even though I wrote about both.

And inverter/charger is what's likely to have a "pass through" where AC input that's not needed for charging can go directly to the AC output that you'd hook up to outlet(s). Inverter-only devices wouldn't need an AC input in the first place, so that would probably need an external transfer switch if you intend to power any outlets with either the inverter or shore power.

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 07-30-2013, 08:18 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
lacombe , Alberta
I do not have pass through capacity at this time but I have no source for shore power either. when I make provision for shore power I will get an automatic pass through box. My solar guy has them.

There is only 6 120VAC outlets in the Land Yacht and currently all are supplied by the inverter. I suppose I will limit their use by limiting the electrical appliances on board.

Thanks for helping me think this through.

brent
naidni45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:03 PM   #5

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
If you're energizing all the 120v system from the inverter, be sure you unplug the converter (if you have one) when you're running the inverter. Perpetual motion machines are against the law (of physics.)