Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-26-2006, 06:56 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Converter Problems--help

We are having a problem with our univolt converter putting out only 8 vdc. it should be 13.6 vdc. We purchased a new INTELI POWER 9100 converter and after connecting up, we blew the rev. phase fuse in the converter. I check the connections for + and - connection and it is correct. However, when I check the voltage from the + post to ground, my meter shows "0" vdc. When I check the - post to ground my meter shows 12 vdc +.

I tried reversing the connections with out any luck. I checked the wiring connection against the trailer wiring diag. and the manufactures wiring diagram and it is wired correctly.

I went back to the UNIVOLT. At least it does not blow any fuses. What am I doing wrong?

Lee and Don
Lee Pace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 07:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Lee and Don,
If you blew the reverse polarity fuse, but did not actually cross the wires, there is something going on and I would be guessing if I tried to trouble shoot it, especially since your Univolt works under the same conditions. I'm wearing my eyebrows high on my head this summer with several unusual failures on the PD units but nothing yet systemic.
I would return it where you got it and if they make you go through warranty, give me a call.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 01:35 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Parsonsfield, , Maine
Reversed Polarity

I know this sounds like I should be locked up for violating the laws of physics, but it is possible to reverse the polarity of a wet cell battery. I have seen two instances of batteries in RV's that have been hit by lightning and the battery reversing polarity. I don't know your situation, but to see if that's your problem, disconnect the batteries and check them with a voltmeter to see if positive is positive. If the batteries have been reversed, the solution is to place a load on them until fully discharged and then recharge them with the correct polarity hookup. I've heard that sometimes a high rate discharge is required and a fast recharge. Good luck. I'll be interested in your resolution of your problem. Charlie E.
CharlieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 02:04 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Converter Problems---help

I have since found the answer to the problem with the UNivolt. It turned out the new batt. we had was shorted. After replacing the batt. the univolt began to put out 13 vdc. Problem solved.
I am going to return the new converter. It still should have operated correctly.

I guess I am just dumb.

Thanks for all of the help.

Lee and Don
Lee Pace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 02:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Have you got your battery(s) hooked up backwards?

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 12:21 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
Could I ask how you checked the output of your univolt to your battery?

I just added a second battery to my 25' Excella. I still have the univolt converter/charger, and I don't know how well it will handle charging 2 batteries.
Pacerized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 10:45 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Charlie,
Place a voltmeter on the output lugs and check the reading. The older Univolts are not regulated and you might see anything from 12 to even 17 volts reported, especially if you don't have a battery connected. Hard on the ole lights and accesories without some voltage regulation.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote