Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-28-2012, 01:33 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
1997 25' Safari
1976 25' Tradewind
Tucson , Arizona
Converter outlet plug bad? 1997 Safari

With no lights or other d/c powered items with the trailer on AC and battery offline, the dealer said bring it in you have a bad converter. To be certain--I followed the advice from my converter's manf. and first tested the a/c outlet it is plugged in to. No juice and when I used an ample guage extension cord to a different outlet, voila, I had a good converter with lights, etc. I'm new at this, but persistent. I managed to remove the outlet for the converter from the rear wall under the sofa bed , but it's a solid unit. You probably can take it apart, but worried it would bust. Do these outlets go bad, or is this likely a more problematic wiring issue? I have an appointment to bring to dealer on Monday,but prefer to address on our own if possible---know my limitations in this area.

Thanks for help/suggestions.
Hankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The RV outlets often are a special one, which does not use a box behind it. The wires are also a push in connection. New ones are available at a fully stocked RV store.

I assume you checked the circuit breakers in the main box to see that all are on. To be sure, turn them off, then back on again. When they trip they often go to a neutral space and look like they are on, but are not. They reset by turning fully off, then on again. if they are GFI circuit breakers they reset the same way. The "test" button will trip them out and then they need to be reset by the Off then ON cycle.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseypris View Post
With no lights or other d/c powered items with the trailer on AC and battery offline, the dealer said bring it in you have a bad converter. To be certain--I followed the advice from my converter's manf. and first tested the a/c outlet it is plugged in to. No juice and when I used an ample guage extension cord to a different outlet, voila, I had a good converter with lights, etc. I'm new at this, but persistent. I managed to remove the outlet for the converter from the rear wall under the sofa bed , but it's a solid unit. You probably can take it apart, but worried it would bust. Do these outlets go bad, or is this likely a more problematic wiring issue? I have an appointment to bring to dealer on Monday,but prefer to address on our own if possible---know my limitations in this area.

Thanks for help/suggestions.
In our trailer, the outlet for the converter is on a separate circuit breaker. In the A/C circuit breaker box, make sure all the breakers are on. If you can identify which one is for the outlet you are working on, reset it.
It is unlikely that the problem is in the outlet itself, but it is possible.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
In my 1983 Excella, the converter outlet is on the GFCI breaker. This breaker also supplies power to the exterior and bathroom outlets. Do you have power to these outlets?

Note: the converter outlet is at the opposite end of the trailer, physical proximity has nothing to do with it.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Our '95 has a switch behind a curtain for turning the converter outlet on and off. It looks like a light switch in a house. Look for one of those (check your manual).

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:17 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
1997 25' Safari
1976 25' Tradewind
Tucson , Arizona
No manual- I need to try and find one, but that was it. Thanks much. You saved me a lot of time and embarrassment in taking it 70 miles to the dealer!
Old 09-29-2012, 08:20 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
1997 25' Safari
1976 25' Tradewind
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
Our '95 has a switch behind a curtain for turning the converter outlet on and off. It looks like a light switch in a house. Look for one of those (check your manual).
Thanks skeeter. That was it. No manual- I need to try and find one- obviously.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:37 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseypris View Post
No manual- I need to try and find one, but that was it. Thanks much. You saved me a lot of time and embarrassment in taking it 70 miles to the dealer!
No problem. You should've seen me on our first trip with our trailer last summer, when both electrical systems shut down because the batteries got too low (it's a quirk caused by how our inverter is wired). I was like, "This shouldn't be happening! We still have shore power!"

Then I found the switch...

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote