Old 03-10-2017, 08:37 PM   #1

1971 25' Tradewind
Talala , Oklahoma
Open Neutral Outlet Help!!!

I just recently acquired a 1971 Airstream Tradewind that the inside was gutted down to the walls and completely redone. They did not take the interior walls down and did not replace or mess with original wiring (that I know of). The only thing different done was addition of some LED lights over the counter tops. When the trailer is sitting at my house I had it plugged into 110v outlet for the converter to charge the battery. This worked the first few days after bringing it home (I think, it could have been that the battery was just fully charged when I picked it up). A week has gone by and the outlet the converter is plugged into is no longer working. After some probing around with a volt meter we discovered there is an open neutral in that outlet. All other outlets in the trailer are registering correct. When testing the wires (pulled the outlet off the wires to make sure it wasn't a bad outlet) the ground to the hot, showing around 112 volts. Ground to neutral 0 volts. and then Hot to neutral 0 volts. Checked the connection at the breaker box inside the trailer, all seem to be connected good and correctly. When plugging the extension cord into the converter directly converter works as it should. Also, when the converter is plugged into the 'open neutral' outlet and the lights that run down the center of the trailer are turned off the new LED lights that were installed come on, and then when the center lights turned back on, the LED lights go off. Not sure if this is related or not. My questions are: Are these two things related, and any advice on finding the open neutral without ripping out the walls? I've been searching for an electrical diagram but haven't found it. Go easy on me and my terminology and knowledge of electrical systems, I'm new to all of this.

Talollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 11:30 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 22' Sport
NCR , Ontario
with the POWER off, check the resistance of each cable wire. You may have an open. if its old, it could be loose, rust, corroded or eaten by a small animal

waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 03:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
In my Safari 25 it was a failed outlet. Yours may have residential outlets so that is less likely. Turn off the power or better disconnect shore power. Pull the outlet. If it is one piece instead of a box, outlet, and cover plate, that is what I had and the connector was one piece of spring brass that cracked.

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 03:36 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Carlsbad , California
That outlet may be fed from another one that is close by. They daisy chain them. You could start there to look for the break in continuity.
Russ
Ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote