Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2011, 09:32 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1961 30' Sovereign
Bham , Alabama
Converter on a '61 Sovereign

Does anyone know if they used converters in 61. I bought my Airstream a few months ago and just starting to work on it but cannot find the converter.
61sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 61sovereign View Post
Does anyone know if they used converters in 61. I bought my Airstream a few months ago and just starting to work on it but cannot find the converter.
Converters were not used by Airstream, until the 1964 models.

In the 64 models, the converter was actually a transformer with outputs of 12 volts AC and 19 volts AC, which was for the fans.

The true converter, or battery chargers were first used by Airstream in the 1965 models.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:54 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1961 30' Sovereign
Bham , Alabama
Thanks Andy... Thats what I had about figured out. If I don't plan on boondocking do I even need to rework the 12V lighting system or would it hurt the resale value if I ever sold it.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:58 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
They don't have converters, they were set up to charge the trailer battery through the tow vehicle's charge line.
You can install a new converter somewhere near the battery location, and connect it to the battery. Just look around for a 120 volt outlet near where you want to locate the converter, so you're not running 120 volt and 12 volt wiring. The converter will come with a 3 prong plug for 120, and the trailer probably has the old 2 prong outlets, so you'd either have to modify the plug or swap out the outlet. You can connect the ground and neutral wires, since they end up in the same place, though obviously it's better to have separate ground wires.
I'd use a 30 amp converter, with a 30 amp self-resetting breaker in the line to the battery.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:21 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1961 30' Sovereign
Bham , Alabama
It has a small battery box mounted on the front below the window. Don't know what kind of battery would fit in there. Outlets inside were changed out to modern standard outlets at one time...had to replace a couple of broken ones.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:15 AM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
It has a small battery box mounted on the front below the window. Don't know what kind of battery would fit in there.
2EE and 3EE were what were generally put in those boxes. Some forklifts and farm implements still use them.

Tags
sovereign