Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-12-2015, 08:53 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Converter Help New Buzzing

Hi folks,

I was someone could advice me on a Buzz in a newly installed converter.

I just had a new Boondocker converter installed. People spoke highly of these converters on this site so I still have high hopes.

The problem is it has a buzz, much like a straight up, everyday, car battery charger.

I was told run it few day "break it in" and I should be alright. Does this seem to make sense?

Any insight would be much valued.

Thanks You

Tony
Tony S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 11:10 AM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony S View Post
Hi folks,

I was someone could advice me on a Buzz in a newly installed converter.

I just had a new Boondocker converter installed. People spoke highly of these converters on this site so I still have high hopes.

The problem is it has a buzz, much like a straight up, everyday, car battery charger.

I was told run it few day "break it in" and I should be alright. Does this seem to make sense?

Any insight would be much valued.

Thanks You

Tony

I have a Boondocker in my '75 24-foot Argosy and it's performed flawlessly for years now, so I purchased one for the 28' project as well but that one's still in the box.

Mine is apparently silent from the interior of the trailer until the unit's temperature comes up enough to kick the fan on, but the fan isn't loud or an annoying tone and the fan doesn't run constantly. My converter lives in the bottom of the bathroom closet but that's only about 4' from my pillow.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Thanks for the reply

That isn't comforting. I didn't think the buzz was normal nor did the guy who installed it. I will give it some run time and if continues I will contact the dealer. They are suppose to reputable. I will report back.

I don't want it running when I am not around until I get comfortable with it so it probably will take me a little time to see if it quits.

Tony
Old 02-12-2015, 04:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Tony, I can really understand your concern and frustration in dealing with this buzzing.
I went thru three different units from Progressive Dynamics before getting one that didn't buzz.
Funny thing was a chat with a tech guy at the company after the second one came and it buzzed too. The Tech guy said that they had had a batch that buzzed, but they did a correction on the unit and he said he would bench test the next one to make sure it had been fixed.
The funny part to me was the fact that they had not checked the second one they shipped to me to make sure it was working O K.

So hang in there and work with the dealer/ manufacturer to be sure you get a properly working unit in your trailer. They should not buzz loudly when working correctly.

Good luck, Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 06:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Thanks for your empathy and encouraging words. Yes, the humming bugs the heck out of me. It will have to be replaced if it doesn’t go away and stay away. Interesting that your problem was with a Progressive Dynamics converter. I was bemoaning that I didn’t go with one of them which was my initial choice.

Well, I may be in luck with working with the dealer. I bought it from Best Converter and they have a good reputation for customer service. Randy at Best Converter recommended the Boondocker to me so that is the one I went with. I don’t know but it maybe a house brand. The converter was bought 3/13 but just installed; restoring my 73 Tradewind has been a big project and slower going than I thought. I should be ok because the converter has a 3 year warranty and it says on their website 3 year hassle free warranty in the write up. He told me to run it for 3 days and break it in so that is what I am doing as a first step.

Then I will request that a replacement and that it be bench tested.

Tony
Old 02-12-2015, 06:53 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Melbourne, FL , Searsport, ME
Quote:
Mine is apparently silent from the interior of the trailer until the unit's temperature comes up enough to kick the fan on, but the fan isn't loud or an annoying tone and the fan doesn't run constantly.
+2 on the above statement
WBCCI #2810
acstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 04:59 AM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Wink Be thankful......

.......it buzzed while working.

Our Xantrex 'upgrade' did just the opposite on our first Camping trip with it.

Randy at BC stood tall and replaced it with an IOTA IQ4.

Stuff happens, hang in there....

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:33 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Buzzing in power supplies is usually caused by loose magnet wire and/or magnetic core laminations in large transformers, which are often vacuum-impregnated with "varnish" to reduce vibrations.

Alternately, a small inductor (coil or wire-wound resistor) may be loosely mounted on the printed circuit board, when it should have been staked (glued, clamped, bolted, etc.) securely to the board.

It's doubtful that the buzzing will go away, and it will mostly likely get worse with age.

The only way to fix this is to replace the defective magnet component; or, since your converter is new, have the entire converter replaced under warranty.

Personally, if the replacement also vibrates, I would look at a different model or brand. Two buzzing converters in a row may indicate either a design or workmanship problem.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:36 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Thanks for the why and the encouragement.

I didn't think it would correct itself, but was worth a try.

The update from here is Randy, at Best Converter, told me to send it back with copies of our e-mails in the box and he will send out a replacement.

I did request that he bench test it. I hope he does or someone there does. Keep the hassle factor down.

I also asked if he would send off the new one and let me pop the old one in the boxes it came in for ease of shipping it back. He didn't bite but that is no big deal.

I will post you all on the results of the replacement.

Again many thanks for your replies

Tony