Old 04-16-2014, 08:49 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
Severna Park , Maryland
Converter, Furnace, Or Batteries

Got our 2009 28' Flying Cloud out of winter storage today and was testing systems. The trailer is plugged into AC power. Had the halogen lights on in the trailer and turned the furnace thermostat up enough to start it up. When the furnace fan started, the lights noticeably dimmed. The gas/burner firing and cutting off had nothing to do with it. I have a plug in analog AC voltage meter and the AC voltage to the trailer is fine.

Don't know if this is relevant; but, the batteries are starting their 5th season. Running the furnace was immediately knocking the DC voltage down to 12.4 volts and the batteries seemed fine running the power jack up and down earlier today.

Should be obvious by now that I'm electrically challenged and feel sure someone can give the me "order of business" to start isolating my problem. Thoughts and ideas will be appreciated.

sailorii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I'd almost bet you need new batteries.

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical."-- Thomas Jefferson
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Probably time for new batteries but your converter/charger may also be on it's last legs. The thing which makes me say that is the voltage you report of 12.4 under a load. The converter/charger should keep that up to 13.5 or 13.6 . You do have the USE/STORE switch in the USE position I hope. If you forgot that, all bets are off.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:38 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member
2014 23' Flying Cloud
Reed Point , Montana
I'd also bet you need new batteries, and this might be an excellent time to upgrade your converter to a 3 stage system.
Bigskyrider8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 02:44 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member
Severna Park , Maryland
Thanks responders! At about 10pm my time, night before last, I posted my problem here. The next morning I had my answers. What a good resource this site is.

Yep, the batteries were toast. And, I had not already replaced the original converter. Replaced the batteries. Had the converter tested and the output was below spec. Before sundown yesterday, had a new multiple stage converter installed. Back in business!!
sailorii is offline   Reply With Quote