Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-10-2011, 09:30 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Kingston , Washington
Convert Hard Wire to Bulkhead Connector??

Hello. Has anyone converted from a hard wired Shore Power Cable to a Bulkhead Connector? I like the bulkhead connectors better than the hard wired cord.

My trailer is a 2005 30' Classic.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
David
10Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:08 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
SW , Missouri
I made this change on my 69 Overlander last weekend. I used a Furrion 30 amp inlet available from Vintage Trailer Supply and a Furrion 30' cordset. I picked up 4' of 8 gauge two wire with ground to run from the breaker panel to the inlet.

I really like the way it turned out, but be prepared to drill a hole through your skin to do it. The Furrion inlet requires a 2 3/4" hole and mounts with 4 #6 screws. This may not be a concern for you, but I could see where it may cause some people heartburn.

Total cost was around $190 installed since I had to purchase a holesaw.
Kyle401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
If it were me, with the price of scrap copper hovering near $4 a pound and heavy copper cables having the large "steal me" flag flying above them, I'd be looking for a tamper resistant locking plug...
Old 07-11-2011, 12:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Kingston , Washington
Thanks for the replies. Yea, I thought of the hole in the skin... I will continue to consider this.

Kyle401, any pinctures??

Thanks again.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:12 PM   #5

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbiteer View Post
If it were me, with the price of scrap copper hovering near $4 a pound and heavy copper cables having the large "steal me" flag flying above them, I'd be looking for a tamper resistant locking plug...
It's all in how you look at it. Copper thieves aren't above cutting stuff, so while your shore-power cable might be marginally more vulnerable to theft if it can be easily detached from trailer while you're plugged in, it would be somewhat LESS vulnerable when you're not using it because you could have it in a locked compartment or inside the trailer somewhere.

In reality, if you're not around and some scumbag wants to steal your shore-power cord, they'll just unplug and cut it off. (Or, if there's any justice, forget to unplug it first and at least get a good jolt. I wouldn't feel too bad about electrically roasted thief.)

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:57 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
DKB_SATX - well said...

As much as I cuss the bumper trunk locker on my Airstreams it is lockable with a little work... And the muddy grungy original cable within it hopefully attracts little notice

Scumbags are rare compared to the civil but compulsive ones no one looks twice at but collects things before they move on.

A lanyard of light aircraft cable, the light bicycle locks coil cable onto a tamper-proof post and small padlock, something to stop the impulsive snatch. I can't imagine large gated marinas not having the same problem so there should be some method to stop unwanted borrowing!
Old 07-11-2011, 09:25 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
SW , Missouri
Here are a few pictures of my install. Please pardon the dirt. It is a renovation in progress!

For those concerned about theft, Furrion does carry an optional cable security lock. You could do the same thing for a lot less with some light stainless cable, plasti-dip and a padlock. Should be enough to deter casual/opportunistic thieves. Anyone interested in selling for scrap won't care if it's damaged.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:45 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Kingston , Washington
Thanks Kyle401. Your installation looks great. I may just do that.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:23 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
SW , Missouri
Updating photo links.