Old 02-20-2013, 08:09 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Control Panel Photos

Considering the topic of Control Panels (Airstream Central Control or Airstream Monitor System, depending on the age and model) comes up a lot, I am starting a thread on photos of Control Panels.

First, the Central Control in my 1967 Trade Wind. The only mods are a replacement clock mechanism which leaves the appearance unchanged and mods in the Television area. It originally had the two-pronged outlet for the flat 300 Ohm TV wire. I switched to 75 Ohm cable from the original Braund Skyliner antenna. (Still works great for HDTV, too). The other 75 Ohm outlet is where I added an input for the satellite dish. Just ran a piece of 75 Ohm cable behind the refrigerator, I fish the cable from the dish up through the opening in the floor for venting the fridge through the mesh in the hardware cloth.

Other than these slight mods, here is a photo of an original 1967 Trade Wind Control Panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trade-Wind-Control-Panel-DS.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	521.9 KB
ID:	179437  

Old 02-20-2013, 08:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Second, here are photos of the unmodified Control Panel in my 1983 Excella.

The first photo is the entire Control Panel, the other two are of the left and right sides, since this type of Control Panel is so wide.

I have used the max resolution the forums currently allow, 1600 pixels maximum dimension, so the photos can be loaded and zoomed to examine details.

Let's see some more Control Panels here.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Control-Panel-DSC00820.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	470.9 KB
ID:	179438   Click image for larger version

Name:	Black-Tank-DSC00822.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	352.0 KB
ID:	179439  

Name:	Battery-DSC00823.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	401.3 KB
ID:	179440  

Old 02-25-2013, 09:48 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Lecompton , Kansas
I have a 76 Sovereign. The picture is before cleanup and restoration which I am currently working on. To access the inside you have to pull the left cabinet panel, then remove both sides of the CP and the front will fold out to replace bulbs and fuse.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	76 AS Sovereign .jpg
Views:	231
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	179872  
Old 02-25-2013, 09:51 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Lecompton , Kansas
I am actually on line looking for a manual with electrical wiring schematic and color coding. I have found some bare wires to replace.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:52 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
Great topic! Here are my photos from my 1979 31' International. Everything works though I've had to make some repairs.

Pardon me if I provide too much information but I've gotten PM's in the past asking for repair tips. While I am glad to help out when I can, these may be answers to questions you already have.

The gray tank level gauge always read empty when I bought the trailer in '04. I tracked the problem down to an integrated circuit (chip). There is one on the circuit board near each tank gauge. You can get one of these chips for only a few dollars at Radio Shack. The number is LM324N. They need to be soldered onto the circuit board, which is tricky. There is an indentation at one end of the chip to orient it the right way. Note that before removing the old one.

My control panel has been plagued with failing solder joints on the tank gauge LED's. If one of your LED's is out, retouching it with solder will probably fix it. If you have to replace an LED, it is possible to install it backwards, in which case it will not light up.

Note the photo of the control panel removed and hanging on the hundred or so wires. It is possible to work on the panel without unplugging all of those, just be very careful of that exposed circuit board behind the battery level indicator.

Once when reinstalling the panel, DC power to it was connected, I accidentally touched that circuit board to the metal enclosure. There was a shower of sparks, and I saw that several traces on the board were fried, and of course the panel was dead. I was able to repair it by painstakingly soldering some jumper wires to that board. You do not want to have to go through that. Be safe and pull the fuse before working on the panel.

My Univolt charger was long gone when I bought my trailer but I wanted the AC Power indicator on the control panel to light up when plugged into shore power.

Check out the photo of the fuse panel. Connecting a jumper wire between the first circuit on the left, Power On, and one of the Battery Negative (ground) terminals, turns on that indicator light. Now at first that didn't happen for me and I later found that LED to be burned out so it had to be replaced.

In order to make that jumper connection in the fuse panel permanent and automatic, I used a 12 volt DC automotive relay from Radio Shack, number 275-226.

You will have to remove the frame and door from around your fuse panel to access the terminals but hooking up the wires is easy. Wires go from the fuse panel to the switch portion of the relay.

To make the light come on automatically when shore power is plugged in, the relay is energized by an AC adapter, which provides 12 volts DC to the coil side of the relay. Sorry, no part number for that AC adapter, it was something I had laying around.

I've attached a photo of the final install. My Progressive Dynamics converter/charger is in the foreground. Behind it is a 120 volt power outlet where the AC adapter is plugged in and secured with zip ties. The relay is secured to the left of that.

Although I have put a lot of trouble into the control panel over the years, I do like having the original equipment still working like new.

Christopher
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	01IMG_1365.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	269.9 KB
ID:	180077   Click image for larger version

Name:	02IMG_1367.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	255.4 KB
ID:	180078  

Name:	03panel.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	180079   Click image for larger version

Name:	04_005_5.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	621.9 KB
ID:	180080  

Name:	05_006_6.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	293.6 KB
ID:	180081   Click image for larger version

Name:	06-closeup of 12 volt converter charger.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	302.1 KB
ID:	180082  

Old 10-18-2014, 12:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
Considering the topic of Control Panels (Airstream Central Control or Airstream Monitor System, depending on the age and model) comes up a lot, I am starting a thread on photos of Control Panels.

First, the Central Control in my 1967 Trade Wind. The only mods are a replacement clock mechanism which leaves the appearance unchanged and mods in the Television area. It originally had the two-pronged outlet for the flat 300 Ohm TV wire. I switched to 75 Ohm cable from the original Braund Skyliner antenna. (Still works great for HDTV, too). The other 75 Ohm outlet is where I added an input for the satellite dish. Just ran a piece of 75 Ohm cable behind the refrigerator, I fish the cable from the dish up through the opening in the floor for venting the fridge through the mesh in the hardware cloth.

Other than these slight mods, here is a photo of an original 1967 Trade Wind Control Panel.

Funny: our two Airstreams are a 68 Tradewind and an 86 Excella and we have the identical control panels at yours have. We read in the archives that We are in the process of restoring the 68, and the face of the panel is somewhat pitted. Amy idea if anyone has already made a template for a sign shop to print on aluminum, etc?