Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-08-2009, 11:25 AM   #1
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Contemplating adding a new 12V circuit

I am not satisfied with my current 12V arrangement. I have a factory cigarette lighter type connection at the control panel, and one more that I have added to an existing circuit.

The problem(s): First, since I boondock much of the time, I find I need more 12V recpticals. It is not uncommon for the laptop, phone, camera batteries, and other 12v items to need recharging at the same time. Second, it seems to me to be awfully inefficient to convert 12V from the house batteries to 120 just to change it back to 12V. Third, the power isnt where I need it.

What I think I want to do: I am thinking I want to run a new circuit from the batteries to a panel near the gaucho that is devoted to maintaining the charges to the electronics. The distance is about 20 feet if that is important. I think I want to be able to wire in a converter there as well (should I put in a third circuit for that?) For the new 12V panel I want a couple regular cigeratte type plugs, maybe some a couple of post-type plugs to wire into and Im not sure what else.

What considerations will I run into doing this. What kind of protection/fuses and what not will I need? Ideas on the panel? Many thanks!

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 11:36 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
I am not satisfied with my current 12V arrangement. I have a factory cigarette lighter type connection at the control panel, and one more that I have added to an existing circuit.

The problem(s): First, since I boondock much of the time, I find I need more 12V recpticals. It is not uncommon for the laptop, phone, camera batteries, and other 12v items to need recharging at the same time. Second, it seems to me to be awfully inefficient to convert 12V from the house batteries to 120 just to change it back to 12V. Third, the power isnt where I need it.

What I think I want to do: I am thinking I want to run a new circuit from the batteries to a panel near the gaucho that is devoted to maintaining the charges to the electronics. The distance is about 20 feet if that is important. I think I want to be able to wire in a converter there as well (should I put in a third circuit for that?) For the new 12V panel I want a couple regular cigeratte type plugs, maybe some a couple of post-type plugs to wire into and Im not sure what else.

What considerations will I run into doing this. What kind of protection/fuses and what not will I need? Ideas on the panel? Many thanks!
That gadget located on the control panel, "is not" a gigarette light socket, but it is a 12 volt DC outlet.

Always fuse new outlets with a fuse that's has about a 20 percent higher in amperage, than what you plan to use.

You must also choose a wire size, that will properly carry that current.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 12:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Me Too

Hi Rodney,

I am considering the same thing. Good advice from Andy about remembering fuses and correct size wiring. I have found 12 v outlets at Wally World, but I’ll have to admit, they sure look like lighter outlets to me.

My Trade Wind has a couple of binding posts near the outlet on the control panel (see Multipurpose Nylon Binding Posts (2-Pack) - RadioShack.com) and I’m guessing that you have them too. I miss having them in the Excella. You can hookup banana plugs, straight wires, or an assortment of wire ends. Very useful for testing things. I wish I had a pair of them over the dinette table in my Excella. Depending on the help in the particular Radio Shack you visit, you may have to lead them by the hand (or whatever anatomy is necessary) to locate them in the store. My results have varied by store and employee here in Little Rock.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Many options

You might want to look at something like this:
West Mountain Radio - RIGrunner Description
There are other manufacturers that make similar things:
Electrical Panels
I have seen this type of thing with up to six outlets.
Triple Power Outlet Plug-in car adaptor auto DC power splitter 3 Multi s
Go google around, and you will find a bunch of stuff.
regards,
Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12v