Old 01-20-2011, 06:17 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari
Bath , New York
We finally got resolution after 6 weeks of trying to reach Steve at Catcon. We called Airstream Customer Service to see if they could intervene and Randy contacted Steve on our behalf and asked that he contact us, which he promptly did. All communication was by email. The end result was a new unit and black water sensor in the mail within a week at no charge. Steve was wonderful to deal with, as was Randy with Airstream.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:31 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2010 19' Flying Cloud
Clarkdale , Arizona
hope you are up and running soon with the parts and assist from steve and randy. i'm still wondering with all the problems and needs to replace sensors and units entirely is this system really designed to last or to repeatedly fail and trash?

Old 09-22-2011, 02:54 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari SE
Springfield , Missouri
It's obvious by searching threads for Catcon or Micro Pulse that Steve at Catcon is a real nice guy who never answers his email or voice messages. I've figured that part out first hand as I've been trying to get tech support for two weeks now.

Mine has never worked but I thought it might be useful since we're dry camping at the balloon fiesta. Does anyone actually have a Micro Pulse that works? Is it just junk? Am I wasting my time?
Old 09-22-2011, 03:29 PM   #18
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I simply gave up on it. I can visually check all the tanks, except for the gray tank and for me it's a non-issue.

Steve is a really great guy (talked with him and emailed back and forth several times right after I got my '04). He sent me a new control unit, I installed it, it worked for maybe a few months, and when I say worked, all the tanks displayed something. Later, Airstream replaced that control unit when I was there and they re-calibrated it. I think it worked for a few weeks, then was grossly inaccurate (again), and shortly thereafter the tank status lights would work, then not, then work. I found that going into the access doors and finding the phone cable connectors and jiggling it sometimes got the tanks to show up again on the display, but still woefully inaccurate.

Since that time, tanks show levels, then don't, and even when they did, it was never really accurate by even the furthest stretch.

My advice is to simply give up on it because even in the off chance you actually get it to operate, getting it to operate properly is another headache that to me just wasn't worth it. I spent nearly 3 years on and off trying to get it to work as advertised and frankly, last 2 or 3 seasons I haven't even turned it on.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:34 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Knock on wood, I finally got mine calibrated this summer pretty well. It has worked fine.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:32 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Brookfield , Wisconsin
Market research

For those interested in providing market research input to resolve this age old issue of tank gauges I would (vendor) GREATLY appreciate your comment on post #72 of the automation research topic. Not sure how to give a "link" here but if you do a search of "RTOS_1_LLC" you will find the thread posting.

Under interest of full disclosre I am a vendor whom used this site, and others, to research small business opportunities and the referenced thread is a result of comments from this forum and others. I will be asking for additional comments relative to tank gauging in RV's in the referenced thread and again, as a small American business in this economy would GREATLY appreciate your comments.

As "real end users" those on this site are "very direct" in your opinions and "we are listenting". Wish I could say the same about my phone company, cable company, and so on.

Don as "RTOS_1_LLC", formerly C5Don.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:06 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Knock on wood, I finally got mine calibrated this summer pretty well. It has worked fine.
I've recently had troubles with a micropulse system. I think calibration is the problem on my white water tank.

When tank is full (30 gals) the gage reads full. I transfer 6 gals to water heater and gage reads near empty. Add 6 more gals. and gage reads full.

Did you learn how to calibrate or did a dealer do it?

Thanks. Shads Shack
Old 04-07-2014, 09:48 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shads Shack View Post
I've recently had troubles with a micropulse system. I think calibration is the problem on my white water tank.

When tank is full (30 gals) the gage reads full. I transfer 6 gals to water heater and gage reads near empty. Add 6 more gals. and gage reads full.

Did you learn how to calibrate or did a dealer do it?

Thanks. Shads Shack
I did it by following the AS manual. The Catcon website does have a link to their manuals, but the link doesn't work. The only difference I would note to their instructions is to allow at least an hour between the full and empty programming steps for the system to fully stabilize at the full and empty programming steps.

Mine has been consistent for almost a year now...but that doesn't mean totally accurate by the graduations on the scale.

Fresh shows empty when empty and full when full, but drops quickly to about 3/8 when there is really 3/4. when it starts red I really have about 10 gallons left. Flashing...maybe 5 gallons. But I like this...gives me a warning so momma won't be left in the shower and me in the dog house.

Gray is pretty darned accurate. When it shows full, I have a few gallons of capacity left before I get backup in the shower. I like this...prevents mess.

Black shows empty when it is empty. Shows full when I have maybe 3 gallons before "stuff" is at the lower neck of toilet. This is fine with me.

Battery is accurate, but I have a separate monitoring system for accuracy.

Propane seems to show a bit more full than the on-tank gauges show, but I am not sure the tank gauges are accurate either. Not really an issue, when the Catcon flashes empty the regulator switches over pretty shortly afterward, and that reminder is what I really need anyway.

Other notes. It takes a few hours after travelling for the pressures to stabilize and settle down after travelling. Elevation changes will make the scale of accuracy move up and down a bit. Barometric changes might affect readings a bit, but not significantly.

Mine is good enough not to prompt a change at this time, but folks seem to really like the SeeLevel. If mine poops out (ha, see what I did there...), I'll probably try it.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote