Old 09-12-2018, 09:20 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' International
Lincoln , Nebraska
Connecting to the positive bus bar

I have a question on connections to the positive bus. If you look at the back of the bus, in my case you see 4 ShortStop type 2 circuit breakers of different values. Again, in my case there are two 50a, a 30a and a 20a breaker. BTW, type 2 means that the breaker will reset only after voltage is removed from the circuit.

The connections to this copper bus bar are protected by one of the 12v circuit breakers. The 6ga battery positive cable is connected to the first breaker, which is the only one with the copper stud not connected to the copper bar, thereby placing the 50a circuit breaker between the battery cable and the copper bus. All the other breakers have the copper stud directly connected to the bus, and the breaker on each is then "downstream" of the bus. If a connection is made to one of these copper studs, it is not protected by that breaker, but only the 50a breaker that the battery cable is connected to. At least that's my understanding. If not, please correct me.

So my question...in the attached picture you'll see that the cable on the right is the battery cable, and to the left is the cable going to the use/store relay (50a breaker), the charge line from the umbilical cord (30a), and furthest left is the cable to the brake break-away connection (20a).

You also see two wires, including the wire coming from the solar controller, are connected to the copper stud on the bus bar, effectively bypassing that particular breaker and relying only on the 50a breaker on the battery cable connection. I haven't traced down the other wire; propane detector maybe?

Do I understand this correctly, and are these connections proper? Or should they be connected differently?

Thanks in advance,
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180912_112442.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	354.2 KB
ID:	322341  

marter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 12:19 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
You are correct in that they are only protected at the connection point by the 50-amp from the battery feed. However those likely have an in-line fuse a short distance away, and one is likely the propane detector. You should be able to find the AS wiring diagram that would give full detail for your trailer. Perhaps one feeds a relay/solenoid for store/use switch?

SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:07 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' International
Lincoln , Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHouseDreams View Post
You are correct in that they are only protected at the connection point by the 50-amp from the battery feed. However those likely have an in-line fuse a short distance away, and one is likely the propane detector. You should be able to find the AS wiring diagram that would give full detail for your trailer. Perhaps one feeds a relay/solenoid for store/use switch?
Thanks for the reply SHD. I know it was a long post and probably not as clear as it could have been but you got the gist of it and confirmed my assumptions that anything connected directly to the copper studs on the bus bar need their own fuse upstream. The two in the picture on the top of the bar are the propane detector on the left (you can barely see the fuse holder) and the wire from the solar charge controller on the right, which has a 30a ANL fuse not in the picture. And yes, one of the lower connections is the use/store relay feed as identified in my original post.

Yes. I should be able to find the AS wiring diagram for my trailer, but things after never that easy. The parts manual for my year didn't have one, but I could find several that were close from different years. But those diagrams disagreed slightly, different notes and connections, etc. And then one must assume the trailer was actually built that way and no one modified it during its 10 years of use before I got it. A slippery slope.

Sorry for the long reply but this helped me understand my electrical system a lot. Thanks for taking the time to read and reply. It was it was so far down in the weeds I was afraid no one would take the time.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 09-13-2018, 09:01 AM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

In a "stock" setup, each of the cables off of the bus bar would have a fuse fairly close to the bus bar.

====

The "type II" breakers generally reset when the *load* (= the short) is removed from the circuit. There is a variety that simply re-tries the circuit again and again until the breaker fries it's self .....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 09:05 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' International
Lincoln , Nebraska
Key word there being "stock". I just wanted to make sure.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 09-15-2018, 01:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Valid concern that it may have evolved over time. That’s one issue with DIY “improvements” is that many adhere to no safety standards, I bought mine used as well and have re-done much of the electrical. Of course some future buyer may disagree with my choice, but my trailer does have accurate current state wiring diagrams that I maintain for my own sanity.
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 01:43 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Marter, I agree that the two wires connected to the bus bar are only "protected" by the 50A breaker. The trouble is that they appear too small to safely carry 50A, so are really unprotected. If they contain approriate size fuses nearby, at least most of their wire length is protected. If not, you should add appropriate fuses, or perhaps you could move them to double stack on the 20A or 30A breakers (if they can carry that amount of current safely) so at least they are protected to that level. If you move them, make sure the nuts are torqued down properly because loose connections can overheat.

WBCCI/VAC #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote