Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-23-2017, 04:57 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
Connecting to shore power through a surge protector

I'm new to camping and Airstreaming in particular, so forgive my ignorance.

I see that a universal recommendation when connecting to a park pedestal is to ensure the breaker on the pedestal is OFF before plugging in your cord. However, my surge protector says to plug it, then turn the breaker ON and check that the various lights are all good, then plug in the camper to the surge protector.

My question is, after checking the surge protector and BEFORE plugging in the camper's power cord, should you turn off the breaker?

Thanks.

Chuck
chustmyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 05:00 PM   #2
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I never have. If I did, I would have to wait another 4 minutes for my protectors diagnostic test to run again before it woukd let power go to the trailer.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:27 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2009 34' Classic
Lake Worth Beach , Florida
My Progressive Industries PT-30C surge protector delivers power immediately after I flip the breaker on the pedestal. I plug it in, flip the breaker, watch as the surge protector cycles through its displays (which takes only a matter of 5 or 10 seconds), then, when satisfied that all is well I flip the breaker off, plug in the shore power cord, and flip the breaker back on. Maybe a minute for the entire process on a slow day.

Jim
2016 RAM 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, Cummins TurboDiesel
AirstreamJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
our 35530 surge guard takes 121 secs each time after first plugged in
no need to fiddle with outside breakers

after the 121 secs it will tell you if there is an issue and what it is
ours is located under the closet so we got the remote display. its under the TV and over the fridge in our 22FB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	35530-surge protector.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	297638  
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:32 PM   #5
halfloaf

2018 16' Sport
Cary , NC
I'm new too so I could be doing it wrong, but my surge protector doesn't let power through until it's happy, and also I never saw anything about powering it up twice, so I only plug it all in once and turn on the breaker once. And then I stare it down until it lets me have AC.
halfloaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
You should always turn the breaker OFF when plugging in as well as when you disconnect.
Not only is it much safer, it minimizes any arcing that may occur.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:54 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Cambridge , Massachusetts
Pretty sure this is why the EMS doesn't let any power through for a couple minutes. I may also be doing it wrong but I follow these steps:

1. Switch breaker off
2. Plug EMS into pedestal
3. Plug power cord to EMS
4. Plug power cord to trailer
5. Switch breaker on
jamesonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 04:09 AM   #8
halfloaf

2018 16' Sport
Cary , NC
Yes, that is what I do as well. (Hard to tell who is replying to whom, but it looks like someone else assumed... something else.)
halfloaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 05:27 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
This is the first I have heard regarding turning the breaker off before plugging into and unplugging from the AS. I just always make sure my surge protector is green before plugging it in
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 05:42 AM   #10
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Just a suggestion, take a look at the post receptacle before plugging anything in. If you see visual evidence of heat, that might be a burned up receptacle and can damage a plug.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 06:01 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Classic
2003 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 330 hp w/2slides
Shelby , North Carolina
If you plug a "hot" shorepower line into the AS, you will get some arcing as the contact is made.

If you plug everything up, then flip on the breaker (running through the surge protector), you eliminate the arcing.

That's why I choose to do it that way.
NCMEDIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:23 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
Thank you, everyone, for the responses. I burned out a PI surge protector last weekend but had no damage to the plug or camper. I guess it did it's job. I just wanted to make sure I was hooking it up right. An electrician who looked at the plug on the protector told me it was caused by heat, most likely from a bad connection. He blamed the pedestal.
chustmyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:58 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamJim View Post
My Progressive Industries PT-30C surge protector delivers power immediately after I flip the breaker on the pedestal. I plug it in, flip the breaker, watch as the surge protector cycles through its displays (which takes only a matter of 5 or 10 seconds), then, when satisfied that all is well I flip the breaker off, plug in the shore power cord, and flip the breaker back on. Maybe a minute for the entire process on a slow day.

Jim

You have an older model. You can send it in and they will update it to the time delay version.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:41 AM   #14
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesonb View Post
...... but I follow these steps:

1. Switch breaker off
2. Plug EMS into pedestal
3. Plug power cord to EMS
4. Plug power cord to trailer
5. Switch breaker on
I concur
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:53 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
White Bear Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMEDIC View Post
If you plug a "hot" shorepower line into the AS, you will get some arcing as the contact is made.

If you plug everything up, then flip on the breaker (running through the surge protector), you eliminate the arcing.

That's why I choose to do it that way.
You may get arcing if there is something turned on in the trailer that is demanding current. No load, no arcing.

Turning off the circuit breaker before plugging in and turning it on after plugging in only move any potential arcing from the outlet and cord to the circuit breaker.

Lyle
lyleapgmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 12:27 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
[QUOTE=chustmyre;2025516]I'm new to camping and Airstreaming in particular, so forgive my ignorance.

I see that a universal recommendation when connecting to a park pedestal is to ensure the breaker on the pedestal is OFF before plugging in your cord. However, my surge protector says to plug it, then turn the breaker ON and check that the various lights are all good, then plug in the camper to the surge protector.

My question is, after checking the surge protector and BEFORE plugging in the camper's power cord, should you turn off the breaker?

Thanks.

Chuck[/QUOTE

If you turn off the breaker after plugging in, you will have to let the protector go through it's checks again; Because it sees a 'new' plug-in'.
My 'Power Protector' will take around 217 seconds to 'do it's thing', everytime it 'sees' a new power addition.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 12:28 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
I never have. If I did, I would have to wait another 4 minutes for my protectors diagnostic test to run again before it woukd let power go to the trailer.
Mine takes 217 seconds.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:35 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
There are a number of 'camp spots' that do NOT have a breaker on the post.
There can be a number of posts that are 'ganged' up to a master breaker panel 'Somehere'. Just try to find it though.
So...Yah gotta just plug it in, and hope for the best.
so far, I've been lucky.

I do check and clean my plug points to keep them bright and shiny; and corrosion proof them with an electrical compound that's for the purpose.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:18 PM   #19
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyleapgmc View Post
You may get arcing if there is something turned on in the trailer that is demanding current. No load, no arcing.
If your refrigerator is on automatic it will try and switch to 110 AC as soon as you plug in. Likewise the power center will start to charge your battery.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:38 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelGoddard View Post
There are a number of 'camp spots' that do NOT have a breaker on the post.
There can be a number of posts that are 'ganged' up to a master breaker panel 'Somehere'. Just try to find it though.
So...Yah gotta just plug it in, and hope for the best.
so far, I've been lucky.

I do check and clean my plug points to keep them bright and shiny; and corrosion proof them with an electrical compound that's for the purpose.

If you notice the camper plugs are different lengths. The ground is longer and makes contact first. This is to protect us.