Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-17-2017, 08:16 PM   #1
D44
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Lawn Guyland , New York
Connecting Renogy Suitcase to Zamp connection on 2017 Flying Cloud

i am looking to connect my Renogy 100watt suitcase to the Zamp connection that came with my 2017 FC 25.

What is the best solution for this connection? My understanding is that the Zamp is connected to the batteries with reverse polarity - I am struggling with how to get a cable that has MC4 connections on one end, SAE connections on the other, and deal with the reverse polarity at the batteries. The inside the box connections has an in-line fuse on the "+" connection.

Does anyone know if you can get a premade MC4 to SAE extension cable? I would like 30' in 10g but I can't find anything on line. If it exists I could just add a polarity reverser connection such as this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AHCWGOO...6GOA9STN&psc=1 and be done?

Or, I guess I could get 10g 30' extension and reverse wire it into the charge controller, and then use an MC4 to SAE connector such as this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N1TALFY...I1U5O3NFNTDJF6 to connect to the Zamp terminal on the Airstream?

Looking to do this with the fewest connections possible to avoid adding resistance to this setup.

Thanks,

Walt
Old 01-17-2017, 09:35 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Palm Desert , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by D44 View Post
My understanding is that the Zamp is connected to the batteries with reverse polarity... [snip] and deal with the reverse polarity at the batteries.
I recently plugged my new Zamp 160 suitcase into my 2017 FC 25 and got the reverse polarity error LOL. I reversed the leads on the battery posts and all is well. Really? In 2016??

Edit: I called Zamp and they sent me a new port. It's installed but I haven't checked it yet. If all is well, you won't hear from me. But if it's fubar, I'll post.
dasams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 11:43 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Middleton , Idaho
I've read a lot of great reviews on the Renogy 100W suitcase system, but I don't understand why they put MC4 connectors coming out of the controller, since they are more difficult to disconnect on a portable system. I've never seen an MC4 to SAE extension cable for sale. From the options that you have listed, it would appear that the MC4 to SAE adapter, 30' 10 ga SAE cable, and a SAE polarity change adapter would be the easiest, but I agree that is a lot of connections. Maybe you could reverse the leads at the battery, and thereby eliminate the SAE polarity adapter.

You could also build the exact cable you need with the proper ends. I made mine out of 30' of 8 ga marine duplex that I bought off of e-bay. I used Anderson connectors, but 10 ga SAE connectors could also have been used. I also made a short cable out of 10ga wire that I find convenient when I don't need the reach of the longer cable. Since your controller is on the panel, larger gauge extension cable may be desirable to help reduce voltage drop.
Trailbob is offline   Reply With Quote