Old 05-10-2012, 05:36 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1958 18' "Footer"
San Luis Obispo , California
Complete Re-wire

Hi everyone. It's been a while since we last posted (which I think was our first, or close to it). Since we purchased our AS we haven't had time to work on it at all. But we have a good excuse. We had our first child (a beautiful little girl) in March and we've been completely wrapped around her little fingers

We've been talking more and more about digging into this project so we can begin some adventures with our family and the more I dig, the more I uncover.

In summary, we've already removed all of the cabinets and appliances in preparation of replacing the subfloor, re-doing the electrical, plumbing, etc. We aren't going to do a full shell-off restoration as it really is in good shape for how old it is, but I am going to take the bottom row of inner panels off to run conduit, plumbing, etc. as well as to assist with the floor replacement.

Since we are going to start from scratch on all of our systems we've decided to go pretty elaborate. Electrically speaking, we are going to install solar with batteries, but also want the shore power option when it's available. I'm an electrician by trade but I really haven't delved into RV electrical systems.

Can anyone recommend a good resource or diagrams on what would be needed to have a complete solar/battery/shore power/12V/120V electrical system? In particular, each component and how they interact with one another. Any do's/don't's are appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance. It feels good to be back at it, especially with enthusiasm to make something great for our family.

Happy to finally be part of the (t)in crowd!
bluemoontwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoontwo View Post
Hi everyone. It's been a while since we last posted (which I think was our first, or close to it). Since we purchased our AS we haven't had time to work on it at all. But we have a good excuse. We had our first child (a beautiful little girl) in March and we've been completely wrapped around her little fingers

We've been talking more and more about digging into this project so we can begin some adventures with our family and the more I dig, the more I uncover.

In summary, we've already removed all of the cabinets and appliances in preparation of replacing the subfloor, re-doing the electrical, plumbing, etc. We aren't going to do a full shell-off restoration as it really is in good shape for how old it is, but I am going to take the bottom row of inner panels off to run conduit, plumbing, etc. as well as to assist with the floor replacement.

Since we are going to start from scratch on all of our systems we've decided to go pretty elaborate. Electrically speaking, we are going to install solar with batteries, but also want the shore power option when it's available. I'm an electrician by trade but I really haven't delved into RV electrical systems.

Can anyone recommend a good resource or diagrams on what would be needed to have a complete solar/battery/shore power/12V/120V electrical system? In particular, each component and how they interact with one another. Any do's/don't's are appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance. It feels good to be back at it, especially with enthusiasm to make something great for our family.
Congrats on the new addition to the family! Sounds like she's already bossing you around, and she can't even speak yet!

OK the answer to your electrical question is highly dependent upon what type of

If you're already an electrician, I would use this article the most. It discusses the basics of RV 30/50 amp systems and campground electrical as well as general RV converter/charger/inverter systems.
RV Electrical Systems

This one can also be helpful:
The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)

I am building my nearly identical trailer to yours to be primarily a propane user, with electrical for the lights, water pump, controls systems, and the TV/DVD player for certain occasions. Solar will be included, but I simply ran a set of large gauge cables from the electrical junction area through the wall to a marked spot in the roof. I will eventually put a couple panels up there and tie it in, but not until after the bulk of the work is done.

Keep us updated!

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote