Old 10-18-2004, 02:57 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

, Illinois
City/Battery switches, and light fixtures

We have a 1958 Overlander. I have a couple of questions I hope someone can answer for us.

The first question is about three toggle switches in the A/S that are each marked City to one side, Battery, to the other. One switch is near the floor just in front of the furnace. Another is above the sink, and the third is on the ceiling near the rear vent fan. I could hazard a guess as to what they do, and what they control, but I'd rather hear from someone who knows for sure.

The second question is about it's ceiling lights. There are two ceiling light fixtures. One in the kithchen area, the other in the bath room. They both have two screw in light bulb sockets. There are two different switches on either side of them. One switch looks like the ones on the 110v lights, and the other is like the 12v lights that are everywhere else in the trailer. When hooked up to a generator, one light comes on in both fixtures with the switch like all of the other 11v lights, but the switch on the opposite side of them don't seem to operate anything, and the second light does not come on. Can someone tell me what these light fixtures should be doing with the two switches.

Thanks, new to the Air Stream experience, and learning to like it more all the time!
Bruce Woodburn
Rock Island, IL

Old 10-18-2004, 03:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
For the switches, 'City' would be when you have 110 power hook-ups 'Battery' is when you don't.

The lights are set-up to run both 110 (city) & 12v (battery). When you are using 110, the battery lights won't work and vice versa.

The main reason to use 12v (battery) is when you are boondocking without 110 hook-ups.

Shari

WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 04:14 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings Bruce!

Another thing to keep in mind, is that your Overlander may not have originally been equipped with a battery - - you may need to be connected to the tow vehicle to have 12-volt power to the coach. Univolts didn't become part of the factory equipment until later in the 1960s - - it may have been 1964, but I am not certain other than my '64 Overlander had a Univolt as standard equipment. Before the days of the Univolt, it is my understanding that the fans in the ceiling vent fixtures as well as the furnace blower motor as well as the electric pressure pump for the water system each had a converter to provide DC power when connected to shore power and the coach would then have the battery/city (shore-power) switches for each of the devices equipped with a converter. If your coach came from the factory with a battery, it would have been a small, oblong battery commonly used in farm implements that was mounted in an aluminum box below the front window.

Good luck in determining the function of your switches!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 04:36 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

, Illinois
Hi Kevin,
Thanks for your reply...I can't belive how quickly everyone responds on this forum! Our Overlander does have that tray under the front window that you mentioned. A previous owner has lengthened the wires so that they will reach the ground, and I believe that they used a deep cycle battery to power things inside. I'm guessing that the location of each of the toggle switches I mentioned is directly related to the appliance that is closest to the switch. I'm thinking that the one by the furnace operates the furnace, the one above the sink is for the water heater, and the one in the ceiling is for that fan that it's right next to, and maybe the ceiling lights. Like I said, the ceiling lights have screw in sockets, for standard light bulbs, but only one side works, and that's when it's hooked to a generator. The water pump did come on when I turned on a switch inside just above the couch that looked like a regular 110v light switch. Hopefully I'll get it all figured out some day. For now I've disconnected the water heater, as there is no water supply nearby, and it's in no position to check it out. In the mean time, it's just fun to stay in it for the week ends we are able to get to where the A/S is. Look at my photo album to see what I mean.
Thanks again,
Bruce
Old 10-18-2004, 04:48 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings Bruce!

Prior to the Univolt, most (but not necessarily all) of the light fixtures in Airstream coaches were dual voltage - - containing separate 12-volt and AC lights. If only the AC side is working, you likely have either bad bulbs, a blown fuse, or a wiring issue. If you haven't already found it , the 12-volt fuse block is likely located in the front of the coach on the front wall below the window - - it may be behind a small access panel - - if it is like one of my friend's '60 Overlander it uses what appear to be household glass screw-in fuses. In some cases, one or more of the cieling fixtures "may" have been wired such that it operated only when the coach was connected to the tow vehicle. Also, they do make a 12-volt light bult that looks just like the AC (household) bulbs to which we are accustomed - - I believe that you can often find them in the RV/Auto section of larger WalMart stores - - they don't have them at the Aldeo WalMart, but it is one of the smaller WalMarts.

Good luck with your investigations!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote