Old 05-31-2016, 01:21 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Sandy , Utah
"Check Trailer Wiring" message

Does anyone know if AS uses the steel frame for a ground to the electric brakes on newer AS units? I am having common issues (judging by posts to GM forums) with "Check Trailer Wiring" message and beeps going off every 5 minutes. Chevy checked the truck and replaced the trailer plug even though they could find no problem. I replaced the plug on the AS thinking that might be the problem also. The best advise I have found yet seems to be a short or bad ground connection to one of the brakes. Does AS run both hot and ground to each wheel or just hot like other trailers? Where is the "Ground Bus"?

rocco52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 02:11 PM   #2
Agent 86
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Every electric brake hub I have ever seen has two wires extending through the backing plates from the magnets, one for ground and the other to the controller.

I have never seen electric brakes that use a buss for grounding, but every magnet must be grounded.

If everything is hooked up well, and the grounds are good, a common problem can be that the magnets got too hot and the insulation on the two wires has melted and and as a result are shorted to ground.

Superat stultitia.

The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 03:39 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Sandy , Utah
Hello J,

Thanks for your reply. The wiring diagram in my manual shows the white wire from trailer plug connected to a Ground Buss and then a white wire from ground buss to the brakes. I should have looked at it closer. The blue Brake wire from the plug is connected to brakes also. My other question is where is the Ground Buss shown on the diagram if anyone knows.

Old 05-31-2016, 04:42 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member
2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
We got this message a few times when we bought our new truck. It was very disconcerting to say the least.

We were finally advised to replace the connection cord with a slighter longer one. There just wasn't enough give for the connection to be secure. Ever since we got the replacement cord, the message has not appeared again.

Knock on wood.

Good Luck to you.
Yolanda (and Phil)
2013 30' Classic Limited
2015 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD
ProPride 3P Trailer Sway Control Hitch
WBCCI #7878
time2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 12:34 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member
1977 31' Sovereign
Lynnwood , Washington
Your Chevy's computer is working as intended. It's letting you know you've got an electrical issue with your Airstream. The real problem is that it's intermittent and only occurs when traveling. That's gonna make diagnosis difficult, even on a good day.

My guess is you've got a frayed wire grounding itself someplace. And that "someplace" is anybody's guess.

Have your mechanic clear the warning light. For that matter, have him clear all codes. You may have an old (stored; obsolete) code that is setting off the check trailer light.

When the check trailer light reappears is the time to diagnose. This must be done immediately. If the light turns itself off, you will have missed your window of opportunity. Pin-point diagnosis can only occur while light is still on.

TomKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 12:55 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Sandy , Utah
You are 100% correct Tom. After reading posts in a Chevy Forum and having replaced the trailer plug and plugin on the truck without solving the problem I crawled under the trailer and found a wire hanging by a thread, with no insulation left, touching the backing plate. Kind of odd for a 1 year old trailer. I am going to repair the wire and test again. I guess the newer trucks with built in brake controllers are very sensitive. I am also going to find out which fuse to pull and shut off the annoying chime that I listened to for 600 miles over the weekend!
Old 06-01-2016, 01:33 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member
1975 31' Sovereign
Palomar Mountain , California
One thing I learned when installing my new axles/brakes - it doesn't matter which wire you use for ground or to controller in TV. Magnets don't care. Might help.
Silver Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 01:51 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Sandy , Utah
Here is an update. I repaired the broken brake wire and also did some repair to all of the other brake wires. The factory had left them way too long even taking into consideration the up and down movement of the axles and wheels. They had left them all hanging out there just waiting to snag on something. I test towed it and problem gone!