Old 06-24-2017, 01:55 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Chillicothe , Ohio
Charging with stand-alone charger

I took the bait to ask: those who use chargers, do you remove the battery or charge them in parallel in the AS battery box?

Cispook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 02:21 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Be a bit careful of what you use as a stand alone charger. Some of what is out there put crazy high voltages (like > 18V) on the batteries. Their justification - "it's designed to only be used with dead batteries". Stick with stuff that is designed for trickle charging.

Running batteries in parallel isn't the best thing in the world to do. We do it all the time, but it's still not best practice. If you are going to charge them in storage, keep them in parallel. That way they are a bit more likely to stay happy with each other.

Bob

uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 03:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I leave mine in the airstream. I attached a short pigtail with a connector on it that is outside the battery box. I just plug in my Battery Minder Model 12248 and forget about it.
Old 06-24-2017, 03:38 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Chillicothe , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Be a bit careful of what you use as a stand alone charger. Some of what is out there put crazy high voltages (like > 18V) on the batteries. Their justification - "it's designed to only be used with dead batteries". Stick with stuff that is designed for trickle charging.

Running batteries in parallel isn't the best thing in the world to do. We do it all the time, but it's still not best practice. If you are going to charge them in storage, keep them in parallel. That way they are a bit more likely to stay happy with each other.

Bob

I'm using the Genius monitor/trickle charger
Old 06-25-2017, 09:20 AM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
I leave mine in the airstream. I attached a short pigtail with a connector on it that is outside the battery box. I just plug in my Battery Minder Model 12248 and forget about it.
Hi

I believe you will find that the "pre-wired Zamp solar connector" on the newer models goes straight to the battery. (I *have* been wrong before though ..) It's just a cheap / simple connector. Wire up your Battery Tender or whatever to a mating plug and do it that way.

Bob
Old 06-25-2017, 09:25 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Bob you are correct - the zamp charger port attached to the battery box has +/- leads that are attached directly to the battery +/- battery terminals.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 05:00 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Rosemount , Minnesota
The basic charger that our 2017 Airstream came with will not charge the batteries to 100% capacity as its maximum output is only 13.7 volts and I believe the Interstate batteries bulk charge at 14.7 volts.

Whenever I am going to boondock I make sure that my batteries get a proper charge by using my Pulsetech Xtreme 4-Station QuadLink Battery Charger Kit:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the same charger I use to maintain my batteries during the winter.
BoscoMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:07 AM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoscoMN View Post
The basic charger that our 2017 Airstream came with will not charge the batteries to 100% capacity as its maximum output is only 13.7 volts and I believe the Interstate batteries bulk charge at 14.7 volts.

Whenever I am going to boondock I make sure that my batteries get a proper charge by using my Pulsetech Xtreme 4-Station QuadLink Battery Charger Kit:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the same charger I use to maintain my batteries during the winter.
Hi

So on one side we have the crew that loudly claims the stock charger boils / kills / destroys batteries by putting to much voltage on them. There is another side that bashes them for not putting enough voltage on the batteries.

These poor chargers just can't win no matter what they do

=========

Indeed (depending *very* much on temperature) you would get another 10 or 20% capacity with a bit higher charge voltage. The risk is that it's over the top at other temperatures and does indeed mess things up.

If you are going to tweak the voltages closely, you *need* to know the temperature.

Bob
Old 06-26-2017, 06:47 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Chillicothe , Ohio
Quote:
Hi

So on one side we have the crew that loudly claims the stock charger boils / kills / destroys batteries by putting to much voltage on them. There is another side that bashes them for not putting enough voltage on the batteries.

These poor chargers just can't win no matter what they do

=========

Indeed (depending *very* much on temperature) you would get another 10 or 20% capacity with a bit higher charge voltage. The risk is that it's over the top at other temperatures and does indeed mess things up.

If you are going to tweak the voltages closely, you *need* to know the temperature.

Bob

Baaaaawwwhhhaaaaaaa. The battle of the chargers ... coming around turn 1 it's battery tender followed closely by AS charger ...

My fun for the day. Everyone has their options and opinions. No blame being cast here.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:20 AM   #10
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cispook View Post
Baaaaawwwhhhaaaaaaa. The battle of the chargers ... coming around turn 1 it's battery tender followed closely by AS charger ...

My fun for the day. Everyone has their options and opinions. No blame being cast here.
Hi

That is a bit of the problem. We get to having so much fun bashing this or that (yes it's quite obviously fun) that it can be pretty hard to figure things out if you don't already know the basics.

Bob
Old 06-28-2017, 08:56 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Hi

That is a bit of the problem. We get to having so much fun bashing this or that (yes it's quite obviously fun) that it can be pretty hard to figure things out if you don't already know the basics.

Bob
For those wanting to have some real argumentative fun, there is always The Argue Thread!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...ead-60297.html

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote