Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-18-2010, 09:10 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
1969 21' Globetrotter
Cambridge , Massachusetts
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 50
Charging house battery from TV?

I am renovating my '69GT and to this point have done enough work (new axle, frame repairs, floor, tires and all running gear issues) to make it tow worthy. It is my intention to tow it from Florida back home to New England before starting work on the interior and on the house wiring in particular. I took the battery that came with the trailer for testing while getting tires mounted and was surprised to find that it still has quiute a bit of life left in it. With this in view, I would like to use this battery to power the break away switch until I complete the design and installation of the final electrical system. Can I maintain the charge on this battery with the auxilary power feed on the seven wire plug to the TV? How should the wiring for this be done and what guage wire should be used? When the TV engine is not running, will the battery on the trailer become a drain on the starting battery in the TV?


Thanks, John
__________________

__________________
JoePfznik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:11 PM   #2
Maniacal Engineer
 
barts's Avatar
 
1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,223
Images: 1
Blog Entries: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePfznik View Post
I am renovating my '69GT and to this point have done enough work (new axle, frame repairs, floor, tires and all running gear issues) to make it tow worthy. It is my intention to tow it from Florida back home to New England before starting work on the interior and on the house wiring in particular. I took the battery that came with the trailer for testing while getting tires mounted and was surprised to find that it still has quiute a bit of life left in it. With this in view, I would like to use this battery to power the break away switch until I complete the design and installation of the final electrical system.
ok.... sounds quite workable. The breakaway battery is often tiny (unless you have disk brakes, whose controller takes a lot more power).

Quote:
Can I maintain the charge on this battery with the auxilary power feed on the seven wire plug to the TV?
Yes; this is the standard way of doing things.

Quote:
How should the wiring for this be done and what guage wire should be used?
The main line is typical 10G wire; this is generally sufficient.
The battery is connected via a 20A fuse to the line from the TV. You can go to 30A w/ 10G wire.

Quote:
When the TV engine is not running, will the battery on the trailer become a drain on the starting battery in the TV?
Most vehicles w/ factory harnesses use a relay to disconnect the trailer power line when the key is not in the running position; my Ford certainly works this way. You can check this w/ a voltmeter or light; this should show that this line has no power from the TV when parked....

_ Bart
__________________

__________________
Bart Smaalders
Menlo Park, CA
http://tinpickle.blogspot.com
http://smaalders.net/barts
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master
 
Melody Ranch's Avatar
 
1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,960
Images: 78
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Battery charge

If you charge the battery before the trip you "should" be OK for the trip. Can't really say without knowing the condition of the battery.
You will drain the tow vehicle battery if you leave it connected and use 12v in the trailer when you stop. A real crowd pleaser when you try to start up the next morning. Some newer vehicles have an automatic disconnect to prevent this from happening.
__________________
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chassis/House Battery Charging 4 Motorhomes Jim Tyrney Airstream Motorhome Forums 41 03-11-2011 07:50 PM
Battery charging Jack46 Generators & Solar Power 6 01-31-2010 04:48 PM
MH/Battery Charging? 345bill Classic Motorhomes 4 11-06-2008 01:13 AM
Battery charging Dr Dan Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 6 10-05-2008 07:04 PM
Battery Charging Hell guy99 Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters 40 03-01-2008 11:56 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.