Old 04-09-2004, 11:34 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Cell phone provider question (T Mobile)

I have never had a cell phone and as most of us travel all over the country.
Before I sign on the dotted line has anybody had experience with t- mobile, live in Mn and have a place in hill country of Texas. .

Help

Gary

Old 04-09-2004, 12:02 PM   #2
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Cell coverage maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by yargseth
Before I sign on the dotted line has anybody had experience with t- mobile, live in Mn and have a place in hill country of Texas. .

Help

Gary
Gary, my parents (in their 70s) live in Edinberg TX during the winter, and motorhome all over Iowa in the summer. The only cell company we could find for them that works in both places was Verizon. Check the coverage maps of each company and see what works for the locations you'll be in most often.

Roger

Old 04-09-2004, 12:27 PM   #3
Site Team

, Minnesota
Quote:
Help
Gary
Gary, I had Verizon in Minneapolis for a year-no problem. Switched to AT&T a year ago and had spotty coverage, even in Minnetonka. My contract is up this month and I'm going back to Verizon.
Old 04-09-2004, 01:25 PM   #4
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Gary,
here are my experiences with cell companies.
I travel in California, and from here to Dallas , Nashville, and Richmond VA.
t-mobile - killer prices, great rates, but very lousy customer service and spotty coverage. A lot of billing errors and dropped calls, even in my home calling area.
AT&T - better than t-mobile, but expensive, unflexible and also spotty coverage. Much better customer service than t-mobile.
Verizon - the best so far. They have ok coverage, good customer service, and I am yet to find a mistake on my bill. I find them reasonably priced for what they offer.

Generally:
Buy the best phones you can afford, and have them updated regularly. Verizon offers free software updates anytime you need it. It seems to me that phones with an extendable antenna work better than the super compact ones with built in antennae.
Don't expect this to work like a land line. It will not - ever. You will have frustrations when you travel, but it is still better than no phones at all. There are areas where there simply is no cell service, period. Putting cell sits up costs money, and if there are no people there to use the site, then the investment is a poor one for them.
Get hands free headset and plenty chargers etc. Mine always seem to run out of joice when I need them most.
My wife and I have a family plan. We can use the cell phones for free when we call each others phones. Cool feature. We use it sometimes to park the trailer when there is reception, instead of the walkie talkies.
GoodLuck!
Old 04-09-2004, 02:05 PM   #5
Arr, we captain our ship!

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Gary,

I have traveled extensively. Alltel works everywhere (including digital and analog). They use everybody else's networks in addition to their own. Works great everywhere; rural, urban, hinterland.

X
Old 04-09-2004, 03:32 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Quote:

Help

Gary
Gary,
Like the others have said, get the best fone you can for the money...
Verizon works the best..IMHO, I've had AT&T, Sprint and USCelluar, none of those listed offer the coverage and rate like Verizon~None~!!
In addition to my 800 min plan, I get 1000 min inter Verizon usuage for free~.
All that means is, I can talk an additional 1000 min per month between Verizon cell users..anywhere in the USA and, it doesn't come off my any min plan or weekend. What a deal~!! Now if I had the "walkie-Talkie" it would be even better~!! CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW~!!???
You could carry an 800 calling card from "Sam Club" for 3.7 cent per and, use it when all else fails.
Remember this, no matter who you have..any of them will let you dial 911 for emergency~You don't even have to be on a plan for that to work~!!
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 03:39 PM   #7

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
If you are looking for nation wide coverage, Verizon has the best footprint. Be careful though in the plan you sign up for. Verizon has actually 2 plans. One is called America's Choice. This is limited to areas where Verizon has service. The otherone is their Nationwide plan. This plan allows roaming and will get you service where ever there is a cellular signal.

I pay $35 a month for 150 minutes in the nationwide plan. America's choice will give you more minutes for the same or less $$. Bottom line I don't want to pay roaming and I want service everywhere I go.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 04:40 PM   #8
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
I went w/ Cingular a couple of years ago, for just that reason: coverage. at the time, they had a nationwide no-roaming plan for 30 bucks/month. I don't think that they're offering exactly the same thing anymore. but anyway, if you're not attached to one of their cells, the phone connects to someone else's, but no additional charge is sent to me. "no roaming" really does mean "no roaming".

I get a kick out of all the other carrier's commercials claiming "no roaming, when you're on our network". which is the same thing as saying "no roaming, when you're not roaming". duh.

Previously, I had sprint, and while their service is excellent, their coverage sucks. great, if you live and die in and around the big city. but for those of us who like to head for the mountains on the weekend...too bad. phone wouldn't even work at my house. where the phone did work, though, it sounded great. couldn't tell it from a land-line. in fact, it sounded better than most land-lines. just wish they had coverage. People I work with think its the best thing since sliced bread, but again, they live most of their lives in the more populated areas. ask 'em, and they'll tell you "yeah, the coverage is great". Works in Boston, Cambridge, AND Newton! woohoo!!!

my only complaint w/ Cingular is that the sound quality sucks. But I don't know if its the service itself, or the el-cheapo phone I got. Salesman I talked to the other day didn't seem to think that I could easily upgrade my phone and stay w/ the same plan, though, as they've updated their network to only work w/ gsm phones, and mine is the type that will talk to "any" system. (has to, in order to work "anywhere"...and they don't sell phones like that anymore). But I almost always have service. The only places it won't work are where there is absolutely NO cell service.
Old 04-09-2004, 05:26 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Sprint PCS

I chose Sprint PCS for a temporary cell phone during my move to Florida. They have a plan whereby you pay an additional $10 per month to NOT have a contract. The coverage has been very good and it has covered in areas that my previous Verizon phone did not. All in all, I have been satisfied with Sprint, although I have had a few billing problems, but they were resolved.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 08:02 PM   #10
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
I have to respond here. Sprint was absolutely the worst experience of my adult lifehood! Droped calls, quick-busy signals, and technical support that I am sure were volunteer high school students with very bad grade point averages. Bills that were always screwed up. Very unprofessional. Every month, it was a pain in the ass....Sprint.....can you hear me now?????

Sprints new name in digital phone service is now known to me as Dorm-Room Technologies....

We switched to Verizon and have been more than happy with their service. I even have a cable that hooks up to my laptop (Mac OS X) and can connect to the internet from most places that I am at.

Sprint was a joke. And any adult in their right thinking mind would completely overlook this sham of a service. I recommnened going with Verizon, or anything other than Sprint. They Suck!!!!!

Jonathan
Old 04-09-2004, 08:04 PM   #11
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
....and I might add that I would rather send smoke signals than use Sprint!

OK, I'M done...

Jonathan
Old 04-09-2004, 10:35 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Verizon has been best for me...especially since my 4 family members use it also and minutes are free from Verizon to Verizon...just your basic plan price only...i also have mobile office and can use it wireless without an ISp but it is far from great but better than nothing...jem
zduke4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 07:24 AM   #13
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xray
Gary,

I have traveled extensively. Alltel works everywhere (including digital and analog). They use everybody else's networks in addition to their own. Works great everywhere; rural, urban, hinterland.

X
Xray,
You ever been to Northern VA? Alltel doesn't work at all up there.
My reccomendations are Verizion or Sprint. Sprint's coverage is not as extensive as Verizion but if you are staying near cities and along major routes, Sprint seems to have decent coverage. BTW It was the only phone that would work in Covington, VA!

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 08:50 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Thanks for all the good advice seems like Verizon is the favorite. Woke up to snow this morning. Happy easter

Gary