NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 12:12 PM   #16
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Timely subject ...

I just received my LG VX4400B cell phone from Verizon and got it hooked up to my new laptop. Works like a charm.

Signed up for the America's Choice plan ... $39.95 per month for 400 minutes ... with unlimited weekend and night minutes.

Right now we are staying in Paso Robles, CA ... which is a 1X area ... that means we can connect at 115K. It isn't broadband ... but it works.

I was going to go with the National plan like Jack ... but they were not offering the free minutes ... which I need for Internet access. It seems to me that the America's Choice plan has a big enough footprint acros the country for our needs.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 12:35 PM   #17

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky Pig
Timely subject ...

I was going to go with the National plan like Jack ... but they were not offering the free minutes ... which I need for Internet access. It seems to me that the America's Choice plan has a big enough footprint acros the country for our needs.
Hi Porky! Yea, I'm not into surfing when I'm out since I don't own a laptop. Obviously my plan minutes may not be enough if I get into using a laptop (other than my free weekends), although wireless (802.11) is making big strides and you are seeing some campgrounds starting to provide that service. I do know that when I get my first laptop, it will have a wireless card in it.

As far as Chuck's comments about voice quality, the issues are mostly phone related. My advice is to try before you buy. Many of the cellular providers have company stores where all of the different phones they sell are live for testing.

Personally nothing is better than my wife's analog Motorola cell phone (whick used to be mine). Yes you get static at times but the voice quality was similar to land line phones. My LG that I use is pretty good but no where close to the standard of that analog phone. The days of analog are drawing to a close and I think the FCC has given Verizon (for one) the approval to set the date in which we all have to be digital.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 01:21 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Porky pig,
Congrats on your choice of phone..I'v had the lg-4400 for 6 months now and, I like the quality of the product overall`~
I agree with Jack abt WI-FI. I understand it's gaining acceptance among campers as more campground locations come on-line.
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 04-10-2004, 05:47 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

I've had Cingular for years and I first signed with them for their coverage in North Georgia. Since they switched to GSM phones and my plan is now nationwide with no roaming, I have yet to find a major metropolitan area that doesn't have excellent coverage.

For what it's worth, I picked up a Wilson magnetic mount cellular antenna and the Nokia adapter for about $40 at a Flying J. It makes a world of difference if you are out in the boonies. There are a couple of places I like to camp where the service was lacking - one bar on the signal strength meter. Plug in the external antenna and stick it on the roof of the truck and I immediately get 3 or 4 bars of signal and have no trouble making calls.

If you travel a lot into areas with weak coverage, it's $40 well spent.
Old 04-10-2004, 07:07 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Verizon gives great service in most places we have traveled, except in the New England states. We went to Bar Harbor, Maine last Fall and "roaming" charges applied in most of the New England states that we traveled in. The year before we traveled through about 25 states going out west and back and had service without roaming almost everywhere we went. We have the America's Choice plan.
Old 04-10-2004, 07:39 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Wayner1239,
Man, I hear your pain..
Maybe you left your passport behind>??
Something about "Rebels"?? Oh, btw..don't get upset..the same thing happened to me when I visited NC and WVA., in Feb...lmao
LIFE IS GREAT~!!
ciao
53FC

NEU #64
New England Unit