Old 10-01-2008, 12:45 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Willits , California
Ceiling lites in my 76 international

I'm trying to get my ceiling lights to all work the same..what a concept.

After taking my cieling lights apart I found a couple (out of four) of the three way switches were bad. I could not find anything like this locally so online found AS parts and bought new ones (ouch). I also was told AS still makes the replacement lenzes (the new ones are white, not yellow like the 32 year old ones) and I bought some.

So for my problems. The switches are color coded diferently, orange instead of white. The lenzes LOOK like a perfect match until you try to install them. The vent in the middle is flat and not concave so the switch and the hand crank for the vent don't penetrate all the way through so that the lenz can be attached with the nut on the switches. Has anybody adapted these to work on the older trailers??

The lights have 6 bulbs each. The swich turns on 2, then 4, then nothing and again nothing. Why is the third position not turning on all six lights. Also one of the lights in the kitchen area has no power. My service manual shows that this is in line with the front ceiling light and the bath ceiling light. Where is the junction for this lead.

All help is appreciated

Old 10-01-2008, 04:56 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Is the shaft on your new switches the same length as the old - this is the problem we ran into with the replacements from Airstream. New ones with the longer shaft are still out there. While trying to track those down I rebuilt the originals and they work fine now - did you keep the originals....

Old 10-01-2008, 05:02 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Ganglin , what is involved in rebuilding the original switches . I have one that is acting up.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:53 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Pull the switch and check the back to see if it's held closed by fold over tabs - if so you should be good to go. Lift the tabs and remove the back. Note the relative position of each color wire (though not sure it really matters). Inside the 3 wires are attached to spring copper contacts that just lift up and out. In the center a black actuator attached to the shaft. What you should find is the springs will be corroded a little - mainly dust from the black center piece on ours. I used electronic cleaner on the copper and a nail file to buff them a little. The black center will pull up and off to be cleaned. Spread the springs out a little and put it back together.

Watch which direction the copper springs are when you take them out - they can be put back in backwards (or so I hear....)
Old 10-01-2008, 10:24 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post
I'm trying to get my ceiling lights to all work the same..what a concept.

After taking my cieling lights apart I found a couple (out of four) of the three way switches were bad. I could not find anything like this locally so online found AS parts and bought new ones (ouch). I also was told AS still makes the replacement lenzes (the new ones are white, not yellow like the 32 year old ones) and I bought some.

So for my problems. The switches are color coded diferently, orange instead of white. The lenzes LOOK like a perfect match until you try to install them. The vent in the middle is flat and not concave so the switch and the hand crank for the vent don't penetrate all the way through so that the lenz can be attached with the nut on the switches. Has anybody adapted these to work on the older trailers??

The lights have 6 bulbs each. The swich turns on 2, then 4, then nothing and again nothing. Why is the third position not turning on all six lights. Also one of the lights in the kitchen area has no power. My service manual shows that this is in line with the front ceiling light and the bath ceiling light. Where is the junction for this lead.

All help is appreciated
The red wire is the 12 volt feed wire.

The orange wire is for two bulbs.

The black wire is for 4 bulbs.

The orange and black and hooked together within the switch, for the 6 bulbs.

Andy