Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2006, 09:48 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
Can't remove license lamp/bracket

Hello, I'm new to this forum, but have already found lots of useful info. I am refurbishing a 1975 Argosy 26 and have obtained a new license lamp and brkt from InlandRV that is identical to the old one. After unscrewing the old piece form the trailer body, I am unable to pull it more than about 1/4 inch or so from trailer. It feels like there is either not enough slack wire or something holding it from the inside. I'm afraid to pull too hard and risk breaking it loose from inside the trailer. Any ideas?
RBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:57 AM   #2
Van
4 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
I replaced this same part too. IIRC, it isnt coming far away because the wires inside the body dont not have anymore slack. I had to cut them then splice in the new ones.
former '77 23' Safari owner
former 25' Fun Finder X-250BHS SOB owner
current 26' Komfort Trailblazer 262BSLE SOB owner
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 06:25 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
Thanks, I did go ahead and cut the old lamp loose. I had about 3/4 inch of wire to work with. There was a plastic grommet in the aluminum that the wires came through and it looked at though it was packed with sealant. I thought about trying to pop this grommet loose and or dig the sealer out thinking that might free up some more wire but I decided it wasn't worth the trouble. The original lamp had a double contact bulb and two wires, power and ground but the replacement only had one wire. I shortened the wire on the new lamp by about half and soldered it to the hot lead on the trailer. Then I soldered a section of wire onto the ground wire and crimped an eyelet onto the other end and picked up my ground where the lamp mounts to the trailer body. Stuffed the wires out of sight and I was back in business.
RBolton is offline   Reply With Quote