Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-08-2012, 03:44 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I have the old univolt power supply and I leave it on all the time and have never cooked the battery. The trailer sits a lot.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:11 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
My trailer stays plugger in to shore power when not being used. In 5 years of ownership, I only had to water the battery once. The original battery (there's just one) lasted about 7 years, and the next one five (replaced this fall). So, the charger seems to do a respectable job. I run a small electric heater to keep the interior temp at about 50 degrees. I haven't winterized yet, as we've not had a significant cold snap - only a few nights dipping just below freezing - trying to get out for one more weekend!
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:49 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I leave my trailer plugged in all of the time while stored at home or when camping. I turn off the breaker that controls the circuit that powers the converter. A few days before I leave I turn on that breaker. If I do not travel I'll turn it on over night once or twice a month.

The reason I leave my trailer plugged in is to power a mouse repeller. Have not had a mouse in my trailer since I got this. And, I run a small electric heater fall and spring so I do not need to winterize before traveling south for the winter.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:13 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumaholic
We leave our Airstream plugged into shore power all winter while it is parked in Mesa, AZ, December through March.
Airstreams still come equipped with a Univolt converter/charger, an inferior choice in my opinion that is hard on batteries.
So, this summer I replaced the Univolt with an Iota DLS-55. It's great! Two things I have noticed are no more dry batteries, and much more efficient charging when using a generator.
Hope this helps!
The IOTA is quieter too! No hums and a variable fan that is controlled by current draw not simply temp of power supply.

Brad

- Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:15 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
You can leave the shore power connected, just flip the battery disconnect switch (ours is right by the entry door) to 'STORE' to isolate the batteries from the single stage converter/charger. This will prevent overcharging while leaving power (110v & 12v) energized. You might flip it to 'USE' for an hour or so once a month to maintain your batteries, or better yet, get a BatteryMinder to maintain the batteries. Ultimately, changing to a three stage converter/charger might be the best route. There is a three stage conversion kit for the Parallax converter available:
Magnetek/Parallax 6300/7300 Upgrade Kit
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:32 PM   #26
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Um, Joe, that link is for "upgrading" the Parallax converter by replacing it with a converter from the World Friendship Co. (WFCO).
Old 11-12-2012, 04:33 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Cleveland , Tennessee
If you don't have a three stage converter, I'd disconnect & pull the batteries unless you keep furnace, fridge etc. going all winter and use it occasionally. IMO.

Terry

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there." Lewis Carroll

AIR #38011
TAC TN-4
NOVA
Steelegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:59 PM   #28
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
What we recomend to customers that are able to store where there is a power connection is to plug the trailer or the convertor in with a cheap basic light timer. You don't want a fancy digital one just one where you slide the pin out. Set it to run one hour per day. That will top up the battery without putting constant pressure on it and save your power bill as well.

Andrew T

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:31 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Um, Joe, that link is for "upgrading" the Parallax converter by replacing it with a converter from the World Friendship Co. (WFCO).

Correct, Jammer. This is what was recommended to me by Randy at bestconverter.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:19 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
So now I'm slightly confused (why should today be different?).

I have the Magnatek/Paralllax 7300 which is spoken of in this thread has having and not having multiple stage charging capability.

The AS user manual implies it does but doesn't say it outright.

I ask because I checked out the batteries today and added distilled water to each cell (first time I've done that since picking it up on April 6). Before doing that, I used a 12v meter to test their voltage and they were at 12.51 which I believe means 90% charged and we've been disconnected for a week (it was 100% when we parked it last week).

So what do I actually have? There is no documentation from Magnatek/Parallax in the briefcase that comes with the trailer.

Thanks!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:16 PM   #31

2013 28' Flying Cloud
2006 39' Land Yacht 390 XL
Austin , Texas
Same here, mine is always plugged in and I don't have problems
Old 05-29-2013, 05:01 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Hillsborough , New Jersey
AS plugged in while in storage

My trailer is parked close to the house so I run an extension cord to a timer which then connects to the trailer cord. I set the timer for about 2 or 3 hours each day. When I come home from a camping trip I automatically connect the timer each and every time. I check the battery level several times a year. I have used this technique for about 25 years. Wolf146
wolf146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:30 AM   #33
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

If anyone has questions about converters I would call Randy.

We use an Iota DLS 55a IQ4.....the IQ4 is an integrated four stage unit. It has worked flawlessly for 5 Seasons with no concerns for extended periods on shore power.

Bob