Old 07-14-2016, 12:29 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
all electric

Some time ago, about 2005 I remeber hearing that Airstream built or was going to build a few electric motorhomes.........don't know what success they had as just about that time they quit building motorhomes.......might be some threads on it.........

Old 07-14-2016, 02:12 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Center Moriches , New York
An engineer on the Escapees HDT (Heavy Duty Truck) forum is doing just that. He has a Class 8, Volvo based HDT Super-C RV. Other that the diesel engine powering his rig, everything else will run off a 48VDC Lithium battery bank. Said bank can be recharged by the diesel engine when it's running, or the onboard diesel generator, or by shore power. Several HDT forumites are watching his progress with great interest.

Old 07-14-2016, 02:35 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
A nice wood stove could make it happen!
Old 07-15-2016, 10:24 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
[/I]Ever seen a trailer with all-electric heat in the fall and spring? Probably not . . . limited insulation in an AS . . .:
AC with heat strip and a wood stove, right here
Old 07-15-2016, 10:34 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
electric wood?

Old 07-15-2016, 01:31 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
electric wood?

Well, I suppose that's one way to start a fire ...
Old 07-15-2016, 01:55 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
I have an all electric Tradewind ! It's great for Glamping at full hook up sites ... ONLY

I also don't have a gray tank . Again great for full hook up Glamping.

But I do have 30# of propane for the BBQ only ... go figure.
2001 Casita 13' Patriot Deluxe

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 01:35 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Mission Viejo , California
There is movement towards diesel for furnace, hot water and cooktops. Used more on boats or diesel class-A/B motor homes, it might be a lot more convenient than propane (and possibly safer)
Old 07-19-2016, 07:14 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Chesapeake , Virginia
thx all

not sure what I will do, was just tinkering....may put off full monty and do minor updates and freshen up so we can use it sooner
Old 07-19-2016, 07:39 AM   #24
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
While the OP appears to be moving in another direction for now, I'd like to share a couple of things on this.

1) Earth Roamer is selling a production RV that has no propane system. Useful to consider for ideas. http://earthroamer.com/ I believe they have a number of diesel systems combined with a solar electrical system and DC refrigerator.

2) Many early (1950s) RVs were not self-contained, and that tradition continues in a way with some lower cost DIY conversions and, to some extent, park models. That reduces costs considerably because an "apartment" stove, furnace, fridge, and water heater can be used, and they're all much cheaper than RV equivalents.

Early RVs, like the Earth Roamer, did not rely entirely on electricity but rather used liquid fuels for the furnace.

3) In general a 30a shore power connection doesn't provide enough power for electric heat in cold weather, so unless building a camper that is intended for fair weather use only, a 50a shore power connection should be part of the plans
Old 07-19-2016, 08:03 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thanks for the link. On the left edge of the home page, check out the used vehicles from $365,000 to $560,000!

Old 07-19-2016, 08:24 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
Earthroamer is just around the corner from me. If you like elegant engineering, like an AS, then these monsters are works of art. Ford F450/550 chassis and looks like they can climb a vertical wall. Couple of years ago I saw a two wheel ER utility trailer on their lot. Not sure what the military calls the 8ftx8ft utility trailers they pull but along the same lines.
ProPride
NVPN
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:11 AM   #27
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
No, don't do it. ASing is hard enough to do without constraining your options even more. Optimize, yes .... insulation, efficient AC, solar, best battery bank you can afford ..... those induction cooktops are liked by some, but .....

One point. Read an opinion that some renovations kill the functionality of the coach with inefficient, but cute layouts that wow, but detract from the purpose of an RV.

PS - a generator is not all electric. You figure how to do this with solar and wind, I give you my vocal congratulations. Tesla is helping to bring electric and others are making considerable contributions. Someday ... but today, go camping/traveling. Too few days - enjoy them.

That's just my opinion. Pat
Old 07-19-2016, 11:59 AM   #28
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
No, don't do it. ASing is hard enough to do without constraining your options even more. Optimize, yes .... insulation, efficient AC, solar, best battery bank you can afford ..... those induction cooktops are liked by some, but .....

One point. Read an opinion that some renovations kill the functionality of the coach with inefficient, but cute layouts that wow, but detract from the purpose of an RV.

PS - a generator is not all electric. You figure how to do this with solar and wind, I give you my vocal congratulations. Tesla is helping to bring electric and others are making considerable contributions. Someday ... but today, go camping/traveling. Too few days - enjoy them.

That's just my opinion. Pat

One thing that is overlooked often with electric cars and other electric items is: Where was the electricity produced? If you plug it into your home to charge the batteries, and your home power comes from a coal fired power plant, what have you gained?

You burned coal to keep from burning natural gas, propane or gasoline. Is that a plus? A lot of calcualtions must be made.

Electricity is simply a method of conveying energy, not a method of producing it. So before one pats oneself on the back for using electricity, they should think about what is producing that electricity.

Ken