Old 10-23-2011, 09:07 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Can I run any DC off my bargman connection?

I'd like to put some led lights up near my hitch, but can't seem to figure out the wiring. I upgraded to a new bargman whip, and I think I have everything working, but want to be able to tie some lights in. Oddly enough, the blue wire - which runs the electric breaks, seems to have current, but not the black charge. I can get a circuit through blue and yellow, but don't want to compromise my brakes at all. I just want to run a couple wires back to the whip connection. Any suggestions? (especially if you can tell me color combinations.

The other thing I'm trying to do is test my lights. I can get them all to come on, but not one side or the other. What's the test color combos for that?

Thanks. If I'm not making sense, it's because this weekend I put in 2 16 hour days trying to get my 64 overlander ready for a short camping trip this weekend. Got the axles back on, new tires, new bargman whip, tore out all the old plumbing, reran electrical to put my battery on the axles across from the fresh water supply, and helped my wife redo the gaucho. I'm exhausted.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
The blue wire in 64 was probably the charge line. That's why you have power there.

Take a look here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7way 2.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	143548  

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Out of all the things that are confusing about this rehab, it's the wiring that's getting me. I'm dropping it off at a trailer place on Wed. They don't know it, but I will pay whatever price they ask to get my wiring correct. That, and if they can re-weld the stud mounts for my shocks. Ugh. I'll print this out as well. I'm going to try to hook up to my tow vehicle and see if I can work some of it out with that tonight, before I then try. Thanks for the wiring diagram. I have a manual jack instead of the electric.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Red face crud, you may be right.

Now that I think about it in daylight, I was all excited about being able to get my electric brakes to work using the emergency brake release. However, I remember that to do it, I cut through the 30 layers of electrical tape that the PO had wrapped around his splice. (He just cut his whip. I didn't want it exposed, so I ran seperate wires all the way back through to the original connection.

However, the wires he chose were Yellow and Blue. That combination would work possibly in either scenario. The other thing I noticed was that the blue wire was wired to a fuse. I wasn't sure why it would wire to a fuse, other than if the brakes were engaged, but now it makes sense to put it in the charge line just in case there were an issue between the car and the trailer battery?

Maybe the question is, do you put a fuse on the brake line or the charge line?

I may try again with the wiring tonight. What's the best way to test - if blue is charge- do I go blue to brown to get the right turn and stop to come on? And blue Red to get left turn?

Then if I want to add a DC circuit, and this is the old style coloring, I would wire a positive and negative wire to the blue and the white?

Thanks for all your help. The wiring was one of my biggest frustrations.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:51 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
Quote:
do you put a fuse on the brake line or the charge line?
On my '73, immediately inside the shell was a 30 amp automotive style circuit breaker, the thermal kind that self-resets, on the charge line.

The brake line should be uninterrupted.

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:53 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
That did it

The old wiring diagram was the right one. This morning, around 2:50am, I hooked up the truck and the lights were perfect. All brake functionality worked, and I spliced into the charge and neutral lines to give me some power up at the tongue for some LED lights. Still trying to see what all I want in the way of lighting. I love all the LED options - especially the ones from Superbrightled.com I'm keeping the inside of my airstream entirely vintage, but I don't like the lighting I get from the LED, so I'm hiding thin strips everywhere, on top of cabinets, under baseboards, anywhere I can to brighten it up without being seen.

Hauled it out this morning on its new axles to the trailer shop to get my state inspection sticker.

Tags
bargman, hookup, lights, wiring