Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2006, 08:23 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2004 25' Classic
kingston , Oklahoma
Can I leave it plugged in??

Could someone tell me... Is there any problem leaving my 25' Classic plugged in while keeping it in storage to keep the batteries charged???
Appreciate your help... Thanks...
KeithCheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 08:26 PM   #2
_

. , .
hi keithcheri

welcome to the forums......

lets see what answers pop up.....

do you have the standard lead/acid batteries or agms?

normal factory charge setup...and stuff?

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 08:28 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2004 25' Classic
kingston , Oklahoma
We have the factory lead batteries...
Old 04-02-2006, 08:37 PM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
You can, but the converter will charge it constantly, which could be bad. Basically, over a longer period of time, it could eventually damage the batteries from what I've read here.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 08:42 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2004 25' Classic
kingston , Oklahoma
Thanks for your reply... that does make sense.. Seems like it should have a cut off when it is fully charged, but maybe not.. thanks
Old 04-02-2006, 08:45 PM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I thought it did too, but after being plugged in for about two weeks, on each visit, I could hear the bubbles in the battery which was consistant with charging taking place. So it then appeared to me that the batteries are charged all the time, no matter what. I didn't have my multimeter with me to see how much was being put to the batteries, but it did seem clear that it was always on, always charging......

I typically turn it on for a few weeks, then disconnect it for a few weeks since the Safari is fairly close by.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:10 PM   #7
Frank S

1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
Hi KeithCheri--Plug in your trailer one day a month when in storage, and if you don't have any lights on, it should be OK. Plug it in for a day or two before you start a trip.--Frank S
Frank S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 10:31 PM   #8
_

. , .
hi keithcheri

you may want to float this question to a qualified airstream service center or email a factory service rep....

perhaps one of the resident linemen will post...

are you pulled into 30amp or pigtailed into a standard 15/20 amp household plug.....is the trailer nearby or away off....

have you checked/filled the batteries with water lately?

one simple option would be to use a standard household timer....like for lights.....and set it to charge for 2-3 hours day...or some such thing....

one concern i have about being wired is what happens with power surges, low voltage times and what can go wrong when no one is nearby....

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 06:01 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
if you're hearing the bubbling sound, your charger (I can't imagine that a 2004 doesn't have a charge controller) isn't cycling into a slow top-off mode. It doesn't hurt the batteries directly, but you will lose a lot of water. When the electrolyte level gets down below the tops of the plates, that's when you start asking for trouble. If you leave it plugged in without a good charge controller, you need to check the electrolyte level at least once a month and add distilled water as necessary. Heck, you need to do that even with a charge controller, until you get a feel for how much boil-off your system is doing.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:37 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2004 25' Classic
kingston , Oklahoma
Thank you all so much... great advice !!!
Old 04-03-2006, 07:13 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Welcome. Interesting question to use your converter for charging. First I would get a battery disconnect. There are sneaky little things that drain your battery like clocks, the refrigerator, and who knows what else on a 2004. Even on my ancient '82 there are power stealers when I think all is turned off. Second I use a small trickle charger to keep my batteries charged during those rare times we are not using Chummy. If you plan to keep your trailer in storage during a cold period I would suggest taking the batteries out and storing them in the basement or someplace warm. Also keep a trickle charge on them. Good batteries are expensive but can last a long time if you take good care of them.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:24 AM   #12
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Our 2004 had a battery bypass switch. It's important to know that even with the bypass in the "bypass" position, 1 or 2 items still remain on. Moreover, if the the batteries do discharge fully (which in on our 2004, we had about a month of battery power with the bypass on), and the bypass is in the "bypass" position, the electric front jack will not work, as you won't be able to get the bypass switch to switch back to live, even if you plug the unit back in. You'll need to put an external charge back on the battery.....ask me how I know this.... I needed to move the coach, and figured, if the coach batts did go dead, I could just plug it in and be on my merry way....not the case, I had to break out my hydrallic jack until I could get my battery charger connected to get the relay for the bypass to switch back to live.

It would be great if it didn't damage the batteries if left plugged in. I actually left the Safari plugged in 24x7 the first summer and winter I had it. I noticed on average, I would need to add dist. water about every 2 months, but even then it was not down to the lead plates yet, just below the cell hole collar.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:31 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
2002 19' Bambi
Allen , Texas
Some Bubbling is normal....

With the factory convertor, even when the convertor DOES switch to it's trickle charge mode, there will be some bubbling from the battery and over time, this will reduce the acid level mixture level in the battery. So you need to check the level monthly when connected fulltime to shore power (ie 120VAC) and verify if you need to add distilled water (ONLY distilled) to the battery. An easy modification that anyone can do is to locate the convertor (metal box under the sofa) and follow the line cord to where it is plugged into a wall socket (this assumes you don't have a vintage A/S with a Univolt convertor). Install a simply small appliance timer and set it for 2-4 hours per 24 hour period. This way, the battery stays charged and yet does not sit there and bubble away. The current draw from the convertor even at full output is less than 10amps and most small appliance timers will handle 15 amps. Just remember to remove the timer when you are ready to pull the rig out of storage.

David Tidmore
GM Roger Williams Airstream
Weatherford, TX
Air Forums # 2159
Past President Heart of Texas Camping Unit
WBCCI # 7548
dtbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 03:05 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
my deepcycle marine batteries are over 4 years old and are overdue for replacemen. They are still doing ok and the trailer is always plugged in at home. There may be many reasons why this is a bad policy but it has worked for me.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 02:10 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
1993 21' Sovereign
Elm Grove , Wisconsin
Converter/Charger while in storage.

It's getting close to preparing my 21ft. Sovereign for Winter storage. One of the issues that all of us face is how to handle our batteries. Last year I had my indoor storage facillity remove the batteries and trickle charge them for me during the winter. Sounds good right? Wrong! They were not charged properly during the time in storage. As a result I ended up replacing both of them last spring. This fall I have a new plan. Earlier this year I replaced my humming Univolt with a new IOTA Converter/Charger with built in smart-charge capability. This quiet 3 stage unit is designed to be left plugged in all the time, according to IOTA's tech support people. The IOTA is a very capable charger/converter, but it also functions in the same way as a Battery-Tender float charger. A microprocessor controls the amount of charge going to the batteries, never overcharging them. Of course, batteries must be in good condition to start with! I am anxious to see how this works out over the winter. Has anyone had experience with this IOTA unit? Juergen
jhart657 is offline   Reply With Quote