Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2015, 06:40 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Boondock Restoration

I'm restoring my vintage Airstream in a train yard and recently the electrical plug that I've been using has stopped working. I was hoping to continue working in that area but I need enough juice to use power tools. Is there an inverter that I can run off my car battery that I can eventually use in the Airstream?

I know one of the tools say 12amp 1250W max output but i never turn it up all the way. Thanks for your thoughts.
OklaOverland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by OklaOverland View Post
I'm restoring my vintage Airstream in a train yard and recently the electrical plug that I've been using has stopped working. I was hoping to continue working in that area but I need enough juice to use power tools. Is there an inverter that I can run off my car battery that I can eventually use in the Airstream?

I know one of the tools say 12amp 1250W max output but i never turn it up all the way. Thanks for your thoughts.
Car batteries are meant for starting applications, not the deep cycle type that you need with an inverter. You might be able to use the inverter if your engine is running and the alternator of your vehicle is providing charge to the battery.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 03:18 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Tulsa , Oklahoma
So that would basically turn my car into a generator, right? Or is there a chargeable battery that's meant to be used with a solar panel that I could use? I know the easy answer is to go buy a small generator but I don't think I'd use it once we start camping. If the Airstream isn't plugged in everything will run off battery except the Frige, Stove, and Water Heater that are running off propane. That's why I'm hoping to see if there's an inverter that I can use now that I can use later to run the few 110v appliances. (TV, some lights, etc)