Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2017, 03:03 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Newport , Washington
BMV-700 Bambi Install Question

I'm in the process of installing a BMV-700 in my new 2018 FC19 and think I have it figured out but would like a confirmation before I proceed. It looks to me like all of the negative loads come into the buss bar in the upper right hand side of this picture (with the exception of the negative lead coming from the solar panel jack next to the battery box).

Assuming I'm correct then it appears to me that all I need to do to wire the shunt is:

1) Remove the negative lead from the solar panel jack from the battery terminal, route it into the trailer and attach it to this ground buss bar.
2) Move the 6Ga black wire from the buss wire over to the appropriate side of the shunt and then run a 6Ga wire from the shunt to the buss bar.

Does this sound right?

2018 Flying Cloud 19
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Diesel
KelloggKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 03:12 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Provided that the black wire is the *only* wire to the battery(s) negative side once it's all done, that will work. As has been noted in other threads (but I often forget to mention) the shunt is not weather proof. It needs to "stay indoors". Final gotcha seems to be matching up the programming on the monitor to the shunt you have. There are at least two shunts and no real guarantee that the monitor comes pre-setup for the one you are using.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 03:28 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Newport , Washington
Thanks Bob,

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Provided that the black wire is the *only* wire to the battery(s) negative side once it's all done, that will work.
Other than the negative lead to the solar panel jack, the only other negative wire attached to the batteries is a 6Ga white wire that comes into this area and terminates on the left hand buss bar. There is nothing else attached to that buss bar so I assume it is there for use with a roof mount solar system which I do not have.

There is one exception. There is a 4Ga wire going from the batteries to the inverter. I seriously doubt we will ever use the inverter so can I ignore that one or does the inverter draw current even when not being used?

Quote:
As has been noted in other threads (but I often forget to mention) the shunt is not weather proof. It needs to "stay indoors".
The photo I posted is where I intend to mount the buss bar. It is under the street side dinette seat near the water pump.

Quote:
Final gotcha seems to be matching up the programming on the monitor to the shunt you have. There are at least two shunts and no real guarantee that the monitor comes pre-setup for the one you are using.
I'm using the shunt that came with the BMV-700 as supplied by Victron so assuming/hoping it is the correct one.

2018 Flying Cloud 19
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Diesel
KelloggKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 03:40 PM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelloggKid View Post
Thanks Bob,

Other than the negative lead to the solar panel jack, the only other negative wire attached to the batteries is a 6Ga white wire that comes into this area and terminates on the left hand buss bar. There is nothing else attached to that buss bar so I assume it is there for use with a roof mount solar system which I do not have.

There is one exception. There is a 4Ga wire going from the batteries to the inverter. I seriously doubt we will ever use the inverter so can I ignore that one or does the inverter draw current even when not being used?

The photo I posted is where I intend to mount the buss bar. It is under the street side dinette seat near the water pump.

I'm using the shunt that came with the BMV-700 as supplied by Victron so assuming/hoping it is the correct one.
Hi

The inverter cable needs to go to the "other" side of the shunt. It can't stay on the battery. It *does* pull current when not in use. Running 4GA wire to the bus bar would be a good idea if the inverter cable is 4GA.

Victron sells a 100A and a 500A shunt for their BMV devices. The "monitor" hockey puck will work with either one. Make note of which one you got so you can program it correctly later on in the install process. There is a thread around here where another member had a problem with this issue.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote