Old 07-11-2015, 08:34 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Suppose you are referring to my post. I did not tape the already water/weather proof inline fuse holder. I put the shrink wrap and tape where the wires were getting pinched between the frame and gas box. This morning I followed the suggestion to add washers under the mounting bracket. It seemed to make the box loose fitting and sloppy. Not happy with the result so I removed them. As soon as the temp dips below 90 I am going to mess with it some more. Got to be a better way than it comes from the factory. Projects and fiddling never ends.

I took sections of 3/8" automotive fuel hos and split them lengthwise. I placed them on the bottom of the propane cover at the areas where they ride on the a-frame and jack plate. This allows space between the cover and the wiring, while allowing for a tight fit of the cover. No movement at all.

BTW, I ENJOY projects and fiddling, but I'm built that way. Celebrate them, if you can.....

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:51 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Another great idea, thanks.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:27 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I took sections of 3/8" automotive fuel hos and split them lengthwise. I placed them on the bottom of the propane cover at the areas where they ride on the a-frame and jack plate. This allows space between the cover and the wiring, while allowing for a tight fit of the cover. No movement at all.

BTW, I ENJOY projects and fiddling, but I'm built that way. Celebrate them, if you can.....
We took a short piece of 1/2" Pex tubing, spray painted it gray, and fed the wires through it as protection. We also used some washers to raise the tank cover a bit for clearance. The only problem with our solution is that the paint is wearing off the Pex, as you would probably expect. But I'll take that problem over the fire we had from the shorted wires...

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:42 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, last time that I looked at new Airstreams, instead of re-routing the wires like I did, they cut a huge hole in the propane tank cover. Sometimes, I would like to show them a few things on my trailer that they should do. Simple things that make our trailer nicer and are not expensive fixes.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:22 AM   #33
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Can't help but think that the folks that design them don't use them.
WBCCI #3892
Region 3 , 1st VP

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight he will just kill you........a wise old man.
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 12:22 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
Just a bit of experience re painting Pex or plastic. Krylon paint will stick and weather very well.

Our tank covers were adjusted by some dealer using washers and nuts after they moved the regulator up from its location at the bottom of the threaded rod. The factory install is simply very amateurish. The easy way is not always the most utilitarian. I plan to completely rework the assembly so it sits still and works without a struggle while changing tanks.
jcw
Old 07-16-2015, 09:22 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCWDCW View Post
Just a bit of experience re painting Pex or plastic. Krylon paint will stick and weather very well.

Our tank covers were adjusted by some dealer using washers and nuts after they moved the regulator up from its location at the bottom of the threaded rod. The factory install is simply very amateurish. The easy way is not always the most utilitarian. I plan to completely rework the assembly so it sits still and works without a struggle while changing tanks.
jcw

Hi, I posted pictures before, but I don't have them right now; What I did, was to lower the cross bar to the inside of the tank handles instead of on top. Then I made spacers for the tank cover. Now I tighten my tanks first, then tighten my tank cover last. Now both the tanks and the cover are always tight. Airstream made it so you would tighten the tanks and cover all at the same time, but I found that one or the other would be loose. I wasn't happy with that arrangement.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 11:09 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Nevada City , California
I was blowing my fuse too often. Took the Dremel to the cover and duplicated the cutout the AS is doing in the new trailers and re routed the wire so that my PP jack U bolts weren't impinging the wire so far so good.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 07-19-2015, 11:10 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Nevada City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I posted pictures before, but I don't have them right now; What I did, was to lower the cross bar to the inside of the tank handles instead of on top. Then I made spacers for the tank cover. Now I tighten my tanks first, then tighten my tank cover last. Now both the tanks and the cover are always tight. Airstream made it so you would tighten the tanks and cover all at the same time, but I found that one or the other would be loose. I wasn't happy with that arrangement.

I use a nut to tighten the tanks down, then put the big wing nut down so the cover will stay latched.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums