Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-28-2015, 10:17 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Best Propane Generator to Keep Batteries Topped Off While Furnace On

I'm looking for a propane powered generator when dry camping for those very cold nights when I have to run my gas furnace and don't want to run my batteries dangerously low running the fans.

My two 6V batteries are kept efficiently topped off by my 350 watt solar array the rest of the time.

I'm thinking that a 1K or 2K watt unit may work. Has anyone had experience with
running a generator while having the furnace on? What size seems to keep the batteries topped off best while heating the trailer?

What are the preferred propane powered units?
Old 10-29-2015, 12:02 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
With two 6 volt golf cart batteries and a 350 watt solar array, I doubt that you will ever need a generator to keep your batteries up, even with furnace use. At least I certainly don't and I only have a 200 watt solar system. I own a Honda 1000 watt inverter generator but never bother to carry it any more.

I would recommend a Tri Metric battery monitoring system to see the actual state of your batteries. I seldom ever see mine below 50% of capacity, and in general they stay above 80%.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 05:30 AM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

A 1000w Yamaha kept our OEM batts up very well before we upgraded to Lifelines and IOTA DLS.

Bob
Old 10-29-2015, 07:40 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Delmar , New York
Have had no trouble with my 1000w yamaha recharging my batteries.

Two things to note about the 1000w though. First there are a lot of things it doesn't have the power to run including the microwave and a compressor for winterizing. Second when I upgraded the parallax converter to a three stage converter I was advised to put in a 45amp instead of a 55amp because the 55amp would shutdown the 1000w generator.
kenen42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 07:54 AM   #5
Rivet Master

We camp without hookups in Colorado in the fall. Temps get down to the low 20's at night.
Assuming your batteries are fully charged and in good shape, they will have no trouble running your furnace all night at a temp of 55 degrees without running the generator.
On a sunny day, your solar will mostly charge your batteries. You may have to run your generator for an hour or so before you go to bed to top them up.
A 2000 watt generator is better. It is light enough to carry and will run the micro wave or a coffee maker or hair drier while you are charging while a 1000 watt one will struggle to do so.
You can run your furnace while the generator is running, it is just like being plugged into shore power.
A gas generator is more convenient although not quite as safe. Make sure you close the vent on the gas cap of the generator and carry the extra gas in an air tight container, preferably in the bed of your truck.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:17 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
How is that more convenient? I carry no gas and only have to connect the propane line the the front lip gas port and then to my generator. No muss, no fuss.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:55 AM   #7
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
With two 6 volt golf cart batteries and a 350 watt solar array, I doubt that you will ever need a generator to keep your batteries up, even with furnace use. At least I certainly don't and I only have a 200 watt solar system. I own a Honda 1000 watt inverter generator but never bother to carry it any more.
I don't know if the OP is a full-timer or not, but I can tell you even with 405 watts of solar on my roof, I've still have times when the generator needed to come out. Like a week of overcast skies and scattered thunderstorms combined with temperatures dropping into the 40's at night.

We carry a Honda eu2000i and I've been considering the tri-fuel conversion kid.

What I'm curious about is how propane usage compares to gas usage.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:03 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
There is a document on this website that shows propane use on Honda generators from various sizes of tanks

Honda Propane Generators by GenConneX

Kelvin
Old 10-29-2015, 09:19 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Just curious, how long will a generator run on a 30# propane tank, versus being refueled from a six gallon portable gas tank?

In cold weather, is it a concern that propane (for the furnace) is being consumed faster with the use of a propane-fueled generator?
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:32 AM   #10
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
There is a document on this website that shows propane use on Honda generators from various sizes of tanks

Honda Propane Generators by GenConneX

Kelvin
Thanks for that info:
http://www.genconnexdirect.net/GenCo...%20Propane.pdf
Old 10-29-2015, 11:24 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Yes, most gens may be easily converted to propane ... although there are some unscrupulous vendors selling the mods.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 11:43 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Great info everyone. Thanks

AM Solar installed my system and cautioned against ever getting down to 50% of capacity on the 6V Lifeline AGMs. They feel that they will last longer (lifetime) if kept at 70-80% or above. The 350 watt panels are great and will charge them back up to 100% from 80%+- in a couple of hours of overnight use with the 1000 watt inverter for computers etc and 12V lights, safety systems etc. I use a Big Sky solar monitor and control system.

So in the spirit of preserving the longevity of these very expensive batteries when using the propane heater/fans, I'm considering a propane generator. The 2K sounds like it would do the job.

Does anyone have specific experience with any of the propane conversions? There seem to be a few choices.
Old 10-29-2015, 11:49 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post

I would recommend a Tri Metric battery monitoring system to see the actual state of your batteries. I seldom ever see mine below 50% of capacity, and in general they stay above 80%.
I agree with Idroba. In the event you ever need to charge your batteries you always have your tv.

If you are just needing to determine battery voltage you could just install a 12v voltmeter available for less than $10 from Amazon.

I don't have solar so I carry my 1k generator just cuz I have it. I rarely use it for my batteries. Mostly for a boondocking neighbor.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 11:49 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Huntsville , Alabama
best propane generator

I use an Onan 2500 watt RV Genet that I fabricated a carrying frame and enclosed it with alum skins. I hook up to my bottles on the trailer. I have the option to run at the ac or micro. It is nice not having to go outside to start it and is also quiet. Been using it for several years. I understand the new models are self diagnostic so if you have a problem you know what it is. It is heavier and not cheap. Most don't realize that switching from gas to propane the power is derated. That being said, the 2800 watt is the same unit running on gas.
Streamracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 03:04 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Fairbanks , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by interstateflyer View Post
I'm looking for a propane powered generator when dry camping for those very cold nights when I have to run my gas furnace ...............
Since I don't know what you are calling "very cold" my comment may not apply. However remember that propane vapor pressure drops in cold weather so you have less propane flow available to you. One chart I have shows a 30lb cylinder that is 25% full will flow 32,000 BTU per hour at 60F and only 10,000 BTU per hour at 0F. Before relying on a propane powered generator you might investigate the propane usage of the generator and furnace combined if you plan to run off the same tank.

We travel regularly in sub zero temps so carry gas generators as back up.

2012 1/2 Eddie Bauer, 2016 Ram Laramie 3500 SWB 4x4 6.7L Cummins 68RFE
crisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 03:24 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisen View Post
Since I don't know what you are calling "very cold" my comment may not apply. However remember that propane vapor pressure drops in cold weather so you have less propane flow available to you. One chart I have shows a 30lb cylinder that is 25% full will flow 32,000 BTU per hour at 60F and only 10,000 BTU per hour at 0F. Before relying on a propane powered generator you might investigate the propane usage of the generator and furnace combined if you plan to run off the same tank.

We travel regularly in sub zero temps so carry gas generators as back up.
As a matter of fact, we are planning a trip to Alaska in May, June and July. I was thinking nights in the 20s and 30s.

Your point about decrease propane flow is well taken. Thanks.
Old 10-29-2015, 03:49 PM   #17
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by interstateflyer View Post
As a matter of fact, we are planning a trip to Alaska in May, June and July. I was thinking nights in the 20s and 30s.

Your point about decrease propane flow is well taken. Thanks.
I would consider gas first then. You are not going to want to empty those tanks and find yourself miles away from someplace to fill up your propane. Reading the above document, it looks like running the generator plus furnace would empty the tanks at a significant rate.
Old 10-29-2015, 05:02 PM   #18
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Just curious, how long will a generator run on a 30# propane tank, versus being refueled from a six gallon portable gas tank?

In cold weather, is it a concern that propane (for the furnace) is being consumed faster with the use of a propane-fueled generator?

15-20hrs depending on load....1.5lb

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LIQUID STAINLESS STEEL 281.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	891.8 KB
ID:	251296  
Old 10-29-2015, 07:33 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
I carry two Honda EU 2000s (one regular, one companion) both with the Propane Carbs conversions on them. https://www.propanecarbs.com/honda-e...onversion.html Here in Fla we mostly need AC, not heat, and the two Hondas will deliver that. They are not capable of running the converter (a 55 amp Progrssive Dynamics) and AC and Microwave simultaneously.

I have run any tests on this configuration and posted results in various Airforums threads. To summarize some findings:

- At 1,600 watts of load (their rated maximum for sustained operation) these generators burn about 2 lbs of propane per hour.

- I can and do run both generators simultaneously at full power from the LP port on the front of the trailer (a factory feature on the 2014 EB) using a 10' CAMCO quick disconnect low pressure LP hose, a quick disconnect tee (two females and a male fitting) which I fabricated from 1/4" brass parts and the 3' hoses that came with the Propane Carbs kits.

- I was concerned that the total capacity of the LP system on the trailer might be overtaxed by the two generators. The LP port has a 25,000 BTU max sticker next to it. How many BTUs is and EU 2000? Beats me! So I ran a test. Remember this is at 80 degree Florida weather... not 20 in the Rockies... but I simultaneously ran the fridge, water heater, AC (thanks to the two Honda's) and all three burners of the stove. During the test I monitored voltage with a multimeter to see if the generators underpowered the electric system. They held 120 +/- 0.4 volts continuously.

I hope that helps.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 04:26 AM   #20
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
15-20hrs depending on load....1.5lb

Bob
My bad brain got disconnected from fingers.....it's 1.5gal=6.3lbs.
eco mode.
Bob