Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2015, 05:34 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
We've had the Yamaha 2400 for about 4 years now. We don't need to run it often and have had no issues with it. It just starts and runs. Bought the converted unit from US Carburetion.
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 05:44 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Sunset Beach , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamracer View Post
I use an Onan 2500 watt RV Genet that I fabricated a carrying frame and enclosed it with alum skins. I hook up to my bottles on the trailer. I have the option to run at the ac or micro. It is nice not having to go outside to start it and is also quiet. Been using it for several years. I understand the new models are self diagnostic so if you have a problem you know what it is. It is heavier and not cheap. Most don't realize that switching from gas to propane the power is derated. That being said, the 2800 watt is the same unit running on gas.
Streamracer, Do you have a thread for your trailer? I would love to see pics of how you engineered the genset housing.

mike
Bauxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 12:34 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Savannah , Georgia
Propane genertor

My understanding is 1 gallon of gasoline is equivalent to 1.3 gallons of propane.
sws323tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 01:02 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65CV View Post
We've had the Yamaha 2400 for about 4 years now. We don't need to run it often and have had no issues with it. It just starts and runs. Bought the converted unit from US Carburetion.
Do you have the version that allows you to run both gas and propane or the version that eliminates the ability to run on gas? AND are you happy w/ the version you have?
Thanks, Markr

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 09:59 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Perhaps you should consider an alternative - instead of getting a propane-powered generator and running your furnace, simply get this: http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Com-Dual-F...=procom+heater

I boondock in the desert, and the temperature drops to freezing at night. So I installed this blueflame heater. It is a convection type of heater, and heats my entire 32' AS from front to back. I do have the galley window cracked open and the vents over the stove and in the shower stall open to provide oxygen. I would add that the blueflame heater is the heater of choice among the boondockers I know.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 08:25 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkmagikca View Post
Perhaps you should consider an alternative - instead of getting a propane-powered generator and running your furnace, simply get this: http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Com-Dual-F...=procom+heater

I boondock in the desert, and the temperature drops to freezing at night. So I installed this blueflame heater. It is a convection type of heater, and heats my entire 32' AS from front to back. I do have the galley window cracked open and the vents over the stove and in the shower stall open to provide oxygen. I would add that the blueflame heater is the heater of choice among the boondockers I know.
I'd be interested in learning more about this. Could you start a new thread and show where you mounted this and how you tapped into the propane lines?
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 08:28 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
Do you have the version that allows you to run both gas and propane or the version that eliminates the ability to run on gas? AND are you happy w/ the version you have?
Thanks, Markr
We have the 2400 that was converted to tri-fuel. It works great. I use only propane though as I don't want or need to carry gasoline. It always starts on the third pull and will run the hair dryer, microwave and the air conditioner. Not at the same time though!
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 09:45 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkmagikca View Post

do you have the thermostatically controlled version? and if yes, w/out a power hook up, how does it "re-ignite" on it's own? or does the output just drop way low when the trailer is warmer than the set temperature? . . . or does the thermostatically controlled version need power?

thanks, markr

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 05:23 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Quote:
do you have the thermostatically controlled version? and if yes, w/out a power hook up, how does it "re-ignite" on it's own? or does the output just drop way low when the trailer is warmer than the set temperature? . . . or does the thermostatically controlled version need power?

thanks, markr
Yes, I have the thermostatic one (it is actually less expensive than the hi-lo version I previously had in my LY moho). It has a pilot light, so there is no electricity whatsoever involved.

As for the installation, the PO of my AS had had a catalytic heater installed. All I did was remove it and put the blueflame in the same location.

It is necessary to have a propane line brought to the place you want to install the heater. To do this safely (and without compromising your insurance), have it done by a licensed gas technician. The job is not very difficult - it just requires splicing a tee into the existing gas line (remember that they use flared fittings) and running it to a shut-off valve and then to the propane connection at the bottom of the heater.

After the Halloween kids have gone to bed, I'll snap a picture of mine and post it.
WBCCI 8080
Old 11-01-2015, 04:51 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Here is the photo of the mounted blueflame heater.

WBCCI 8080
Old 11-01-2015, 05:50 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Asheville , North Carolina
Does anyone use a 1k generator connected directly to the battery to charge rather than using the converter? I know you can not run other 110 things this way but can you charge your battery more quickly. When boondocking I hate to hear any generator run even my own.

'92 Excella 29'
'20 Ram 2500
AIR # 59179
Chillpoints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 05:55 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Quote:
Thanks, Markr
We have the gas/propane option and I'm very happy with it. That said, I did have to adjust settings between the two versions to run the A/C on our old A/S. I have settled on settings now and don't change them. I never use gas anymore. We use quick disconnects to hook up the generator to the inactive propane tank.
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:17 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I have run my 2000 honda all night while the furnace was on , it was down to 18 degrees with a high wind, it was still running when I shut it off almost 9 hours later, all is well...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:19 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillpoints View Post
Does anyone use a 1k generator connected directly to the battery to charge rather than using the converter? I know you can not run other 110 things this way but can you charge your battery more quickly. When boondocking I hate to hear any generator run even my own.
I have a 1 KW Honda. The direct charge is only about 8 amps and is unregulated, that is it is a poor charger.

It is much better to use the built in converter/charger with power supplied by the Honda. It will charge at a considerably faster rate.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:41 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Do you guys feed your generator output through the trailer's tow vehicle umbilical cord?
Old 11-01-2015, 07:59 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Do you guys feed your generator output through the trailer's tow vehicle umbilical cord?

This summer I stayed in Pilot Flying J RV parking more than once. Each time I ran my generator all night as it was humid and rainy. A few times I walked into the store section to return noting how I could barely hear the generator until almost standing at the trailer.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:42 AM   #37
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
A few times I walked into the store section to return noting how I could barely hear the generator until almost standing at the trailer.
That eco mode on the Honda eu2000i is pretty amazing. I have found I can run ours all night with 1 tank of gas. I'll start it at 9pm and put it in eco and it won't run out until 5 or 6 in the morning.