Old 06-26-2013, 01:40 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
"Beep Beep" was the Sound

I never noticed this until today. Maybe it's done it before and I just didn't notice it.

But ... today I went over the storage facility to close the doors to the fridge so I could start the fridge and have it cold by tomorrow to load with food. About 10 seconds after I turned the fridge "on" there was a sound of "beep beep". I looked around for anything suspicious, turned on lights, fridge was operating off of electricity and not propane, nothing out of the ordinary discovered.

So I go outside and trip the circuit (by pushing the "test" button) that the trailer is plugged into to ensure it had not tripped itself (it hadn't) so I then reset it to allow electricity to again flow. I go back inside the Airstream and again, the "beep beep".

Is this normal and to be expected? What is it and why? Or is this signaling some problem?

Old 06-26-2013, 04:36 PM   #2
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Probably a trouble alarm from the LP detector or maybe the CO detector.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Within seconds of plugging in our 2007 23' Safari to shore power, we always hear a beep or two that comes from the clock of our OEM microwave, alerting us to re-set the time, and is the reassuring sign to me that I am connected to shore power!
Old 06-26-2013, 07:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Probably a trouble alarm from the LP detector or maybe the CO detector.
You are correct. It was the CO detector.

I went back to the Airstream a couple hours later to pack additional items for this weekend and as soon as I stepped in the trailer it did the "beep beep". It was just coincidental that it had previously beeped around the same time I performed each of those actions related to electricity.

It appears that CO detectors are a constantly failing. I replaced the one located in the kitchen area (near the floor) last year. Now this one (hanging high on the wall in the bedroom area) is not functioning properly.

I guess it's true when they say you have to toss these in the trash every couple years and replace them with a new one. I guess I shouldn't complain and feel fortunate that it didn't turn out to be anything major.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
It was probably the beep, beep,beep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank&Mike View Post
You are correct. It was the CO detector.

I went back to the Airstream a couple hours later to pack additional items for this weekend and as soon as I stepped in the trailer it did the "beep beep". It was just coincidental that it had previously beeped around the same time I performed each of those actions related to electricity.

It appears that CO detectors are a constantly failing. I replaced the one located in the kitchen area (near the floor) last year. Now this one (hanging high on the wall in the bedroom area) is not functioning properly.

I guess it's true when they say you have to toss these in the trash every couple years and replace them with a new one. I guess I shouldn't complain and feel fortunate that it didn't turn out to be anything major.
If it was the beep, beep, beep (3 times every minute), it was undoubtedly the CO detector (programmed to alert you at the 5-year interval that it needs to be replaced)! They should last 5 years and should not need to be replaced "every couple of years".

See the AirForums thread: Replacing CO detector
Old 06-27-2013, 08:41 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGate View Post
If it was the beep, beep, beep (3 times every minute), it was undoubtedly the CO detector (programmed to alert you at the 5-year interval that it needs to be replaced)! They should last 5 years and should not need to be replaced "every couple of years".

See the AirForums thread: Replacing CO detector
For some reason this particular CO detector was malfunctioning. I replaced the batteries with new ones and the green light would blink, then the red light would blink, it would vibrate instead of "beep" and then it would eventually "beep". Assuming this one came from the factory with the Airstream then it would be 6 years old which is in line with what you state about the time to replace.

The packaging on the new digital CO detector stated it should be replaced in 7 years.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:45 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
You were due...we replaced ours last year...for the first time...it's nice that it tells you it needs replacing rather than just not working. Carbon Monoxide doesn't give one many 2nd chances. It wasn't easy, but we found one online exactly like the original. One less thing to go "beep" in the night.
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:50 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
You were due...we replaced ours last year...for the first time...it's nice that it tells you it needs replacing rather than just not working. Carbon Monoxide doesn't give one many 2nd chances. It wasn't easy, but we found one online exactly like the original. One less thing to go "beep" in the night.
You are correct, not worth the risk. The one in the kitchen area (floor level and hard wired in to electricity) failed last year so hopefully between the two of them we're good for another 5 - 7 years.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:08 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Would Appreciate Information on Replacement Model

Mike,

Thanks for this thread. Buying a new CO detector is now on my "to do" list since our CO detector is due to be replaced given the 5 year lifespan. I have not been able to find an identical replacement to the First Alert model (CO400MRVA) Airstream originally supplied. I would appreciate any tips as to what brand/model you purchased. I was hoping to avoid drilling new holes in the wall for a different wall bracket.

Thanks,

Susan
Old 06-27-2013, 09:17 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnygirl View Post
Mike,

Thanks for this thread. Buying a new CO detector is now on my "to do" list since our CO detector is due to be replaced given the 5 year lifespan. I have not been able to find an identical replacement to the First Alert model (CO400MRVA) Airstream originally supplied. I would appreciate any tips as to what brand/model you purchased. I was hoping to avoid drilling new holes in the wall for a different wall bracket.

Thanks,

Susan

Hi Susan. I wanted to locate the First Alert as a replacement; however, we're headed to south Texas for the weekend so I decided not to delay the purchase. As a replacement, I found an Atwood brand at a local RV dealership, its footprint is a little larger than the First Alert and it is a circular shape, so I was able to utilize one of the existing screw holes but unfortunately had to create two new holes.

Don't forget to check your hard wired CO detector as well. That's the one I had to replace last year.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:53 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank&Mike View Post
You are correct, not worth the risk. The one in the kitchen area (floor level and hard wired in to electricity) failed last year so hopefully between the two of them we're good for another 5 - 7 years.
I think the hard-wired one in the kitchen is not a CO detector but a propane gas detector, right? You should have 3 detectors minimum (maybe more in a larger rigs)... one CO (Carbon Monoxide), one Propane, and a Fire Alarm.
Unit #3954
Old 06-27-2013, 10:57 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Susan...

Not sure what brad you have in your rig, but ours was a COStar...here's a link that might be a good place to start looking for a good replacement for yours.

Good luck!
Unit #3954
Old 06-28-2013, 10:13 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Many Thanks!

Mike and TBRich,

Thanks for the suggestions for replacing our CO detector. We have a First Alert model (CO400MRVA) and I have searched the internet, contacted Airstream customer service, and even called First Alert, who had no clue where I might purchase this particular detector.

Guess we'll go with Plan B and add more holes to the wall.

Regards,

Susan