Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-16-2018, 08:04 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Tacoma , Washington
BDl battery disconnect voltage display

How accutate is the battery volts display on the BDl battery disconnect switch

Thank You
BigGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 12:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
Voltage display accuracies are typically 1% or better. How useful it is in determining the state of charge (SOC) of your battery system is another question. If you're using lead-acid technology, the battery voltage measurement will be affected by the load due to the internal impedance of the battery. A battery monitor that includes a shunt resistor is a much more reliable method to determine the batteries SOC and avoids these errors.
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 02:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
I installed a Victron BMV-712 last week and am amaized at the accuracy and the real time info provided, particularly when displayed via bluetooth on the phone. So now I now exactly were I'm at with regards to battery status and how much each item uses.

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:36 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2000 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Battery monitor

I was searching for a recommendation on a battery monitor as my Safari has the basic monitor with red, yellow, and green lights. I like the Victron, but it is a little too pricey for my budget. Would you happen to know of a less expensive model? I have a new Optima AGM battery and would like to buy a monitor and proper charger. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Deesnestwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:56 PM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deesnestwa View Post
I was searching for a recommendation on a battery monitor as my Safari has the basic monitor with red, yellow, and green lights. I like the Victron, but it is a little too pricey for my budget. Would you happen to know of a less expensive model? I have a new Optima AGM battery and would like to buy a monitor and proper charger. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Hi

The BMV-702 is a bit less than the 712 and it does pretty much the same thing ( minus Bluetooth).

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:54 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2000 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Thank you for your help, Bob. I’ll look at that model.
Deesnestwa is offline   Reply With Quote